Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So studios are supposed to embrace theater exclusives with 25 m opening weekends?

Is that sustainable? 

You think that $25m openings are going to be the norm things like No Time To Die, Halloween, Eternals, Top Gun, Spider-Man  and others open?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You think that $25m openings are going to be the norm things like No Time To Die, Halloween, Eternals, Top Gun, Spider-Man  and others open?

No but if the only thing to surpass 25-35 m OW are giant tentpoles then I still think that spells trouble.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

No but if the only thing to surpass 25-35 m OW are giant tentpoles then I still think that spells trouble.

Of course it does, and that is what people fail to understand. More movies need to make money than just giant tentpoles, and there is no evidence so far those movies will make decent results. Every attempt we had at those so far was at best a nice underperformer since it was cheap and it will be profitable (looking at Purge 5 and Old here).

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

This is 100% true. The place I work is understaffed, the theater across the street is cutting out early matinees and late evenings because they don’t have enough managers to run full grind. 

Some theaters are also sharing/borrowing staff/managers from nearby locations. Staffing is a huge issue with theaters right now. No one wants to work.

With AMCs share manages to shot high 1500% this year when most of its business was shut closed in the past 12 months, how can you convince working class that working is the pathway up the ladder? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Of course it does, and that is what people fail to understand. More movies need to make money than just giant tentpoles, and there is no evidence so far those movies will make decent results. Every attempt we had at those so far was at best a nice underperformer since it was cheap and it will be profitable (looking at Purge 5 and Old here).

Nobody fails to understand that, they just don't subscribe to the line of thinking that no movie other than a tentpole will ever open above those arbitrary ranges.  

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

if the Covid situation stays the same, you bet.

Guy, you are becoming something of a joke around here with your covid denial.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

So studios are supposed to embrace theater exclusives with 25 m opening weekends?

Is that sustainable? 

I wonder if betting the farm on nothing but big budget blockbusters is sustainable.

A number of industry analyists have been saying that the studios almost total abandoment of mid level budget films in favor of huge blockbusters will come around to bite them in the butt someday with the coming of streaming. The Covid may have speeded up that day.

No fan of Eisner, but  I think he  trying to, in the early 2000s, get Disney to go to a s"Single and Doubles" straety then a "Home Run" strategy might have been premature then might make sense now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I wonder if betting the farm on nothing but big budget blockbusters is sustainable.

A number of industry analyists have been saying that the studios almost total abandoment of mid level budget films in favor of huge blockbusters will come around to bite them in the butt someday with the coming of streaming. The Covid may have speeded up that day.

No fan of Eisner, but  I think he  trying to, in the early 2000s, get Disney to go to a s"Single and Doubles" straety then a "Home Run" strategy might have been premature then might make sense now.

There’s merit to the idea that if you condition folks long enough to believe most movies (or better yet certain kinds) aren’t “must see” events in theaters, they’ll believe it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cap said:

I just got back from Free Guy. Such a breath of fresh air. Now that’s how you do a modern rom-com. I totally get why its WOM is great. 

Man, Hollywood is in a terrible spot if focus-tested, generic stuff like this is considered refreshing and ends up being the benchmark for modern-day romcoms. The last genuinely interesting rom-com made in Hollywood was in 2015 and that shit was critically panned.

• Thanks 2

Like all pandemics this one will end, but i'm sure not this year or even the next year, considering most countries doesn't have the same conditions of US to deal with it.

I don't think next year will be a disaster tho, damn even 2021 are miles better than 2020, but we're still dealing with it and it's not close to end yet.

That's why i keep saying studios doesn't have much to do, things will not drastically change in a few months, they just need to avoid many big movies in wave peaks. Happily with Delta, Shang Chi is the only big movie dropping in the middle of the peak.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Man, Hollywood is in a terrible spot if focus-tested, generic stuff like this is considered refreshing and ends up being the benchmark for modern-day romcoms. The last genuinely interesting rom-com made in Hollywood was in 2015 and that shit was critically panned.

Idk. I never saw Aloha. 

• Haha 10
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I like how half your posts here consist solely of hating on Hollywood and praising mixed or critically panned films instead

I didn’t like Free Guy but it played well to audiences and ending was sweet. Low barometer sure but if the formula works…

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash