Eric Duncan

SHANG-CHI WEEKEND THREAD | NO SPOILERS | 75.38M 3-Day, 94.67M 4-Day. Record for Labor Day! | Tony Leung saved the theater! | Get Vaccinated and Wear a mask.

4 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

A look pretty good to me. Remember "only" three MCU movie got that. I remember DL said it's very hard when Dory gained A. 

I think only 3 have an A+.  Quite a few have As

Found the list

• Iron Man : A
  • The Incredible Hulk : A-
  • Iron Man 2 : A
  • Thor : B+
  • Captain America: The First Avenger : A-
  • The Avengers : A+
  • Iron Man 3 : A
  • Thor: The Dark World : A-
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier : A
  • Guardians of the Galaxy : A
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron : A
  • Ant-Man : A
  • Captain America: Civil War : A
  • Doctor Strange : A
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 : A
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming : A
  • Thor: Ragnarok : A
  • Black Panther : A+
  • Avengers: Infinity War : A
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp : A-
  • Captain Marvel : A
  • Avengers: Endgame : A+
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home : A
  • Black Widow : A-
  • Shang Chi: A

How did TDW score better than Thor (the lone non A-/A/A+ grade)? :unsure:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I think only 3 have an A+.  Quite a few have As

I was also confused reading the comment at first but upon reread they meant that “only 3 movies got that [A+ score which some people were talking about].”

• Like 2

+20M then wow, very happy for this. It's behaving like i was expecting for a new character + theatrical exclusive.

Depending on the rest of the weekend it can challenge F9 and become the 2nd biggest opener since pandemic, the excellent WOM will help.

Papa Feige keep delivering what we need!

Since we’re speaking of A+cinema scores, here is some fun trivia. Exactly 4 movies with a 4000+ wide release have gotten an A+. All 4 of 4 are Disney superhero movies currently in the DOM top 10. I’m actually a little glad SC won’t break the stat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

+20M then wow, very happy for this. It's behaving like i was expecting for a new character + theatrical exclusive.

Depending on the rest of the weekend it can challenge F9 and become the 2nd biggest opener since pandemic, the excellent WOM will help.

Papa Feige keep delivering what we need!

After seeing Keyser's latest post in the Tracking thread I feel this will be done unless there is some weird surprise. On the higher end it can go 8.8-21-25.2-22.7 for a 77.8 OW. Obviously this is not the bar for success but I believe it is possible. Even if it does 8.8-20.5-23-20 it will do it. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

On the higher end it can go 8.8-21-25.2-22.7 for a 77.8 OW. Obviously this is not the bar for success but I believe it is possible. 

While reiterating bolded, this is not what I’d consider a high end Sun 👀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iHeartJames said:

I'm kinda surprised in a way Infinity War didn't get an A+

Me too, at least online i feel IW is way more beloved than EG lol.

Maybe because the movie is a clusterfuck of "Holy shit" moments for 150 minutes and EG is a more structured movie.

Just now, MrPink said:

Ending initially miffed some folks.

between endgame's 3rd act and Infinity War's I dont think I'll ever get a theater experience like that again. Little kids were legit crying after the [you know what] and it was the first time nobody clapped like Infinity War was literally gasps, omg's and complete silence nobody knew what to say it was weird yet chilling

honestly does spoiler warnings go for Infinity War like at this point the 3rd act became an entire beast of its own due to memes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

After seeing Keyser's latest post in the Tracking thread I feel this will be done unless there is some weird surprise. On the higher end it can go 8.8-21-25.2-22.7 for a 77.8 OW. Obviously this is not the bar for success but I believe it is possible. Even if it does 8.8-20.5-23-20 it will do it. 

Let's hope then, it won't matter for the success but damn it would be such a nice headline for media.

1 minute ago, Lokis Legion said:

Also fwiw the best legs in the whole MCU are from gotg1 with “just” an A and I believe SC is competitive to take that crown and pass TWS DOM.

GOTG benefited summer days and an August run into Sept.  SC won't have that.  Even w/o competition a 3x+ will be hard. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

Maybe. We don't have any openers of this scale on Labor Day to compare, so used BP and adjusted down slightly since the WOM is not quite as good. 

BP adjusted down slightly is my model as well… but despite the lack of direct large Labor opens to comp to, I think you can wrong a few extra bits of info out of comparing typical Labor holdover Sun vs typical Pres holdover Sun (just be careful about Valentine’s).   

And if you really wanna get your mind blown, try “typical Pres holdover Mon : typical Labor holdover Mon :: BP Mon : “

3 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

BP adjusted down slightly is my model as well… but despite the lack of direct large Labor opens to comp to, I think you can wrong a few extra bits of info out of comparing typical Labor holdover Sun vs typical Pres holdover Sun (just be careful about Valentine’s).   

And if you really wanna get your mind blown, try “typical Pres holdover Mon : typical Labor holdover Mon :: BP Mon : “

Looking into it, your analogy does open up some...interesting possibilities. I guess adjust up that high end Sunday by 1-2 million. But realistically I don't think it will hold that well. 

• Like 1