MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

9 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

I'm surprised they haven't shown this in Cannes. Unless this is still in post.

I don't think any Nolan movie has ever been at Cannes...

Besides it would be a two month gap between reviews and the general release.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Do we need that many F-bombs or nudity in this movie.

1 hour ago, sabrecmc said:

I do find it an odd choice to keep it at an R rather than trim whatever offending nudity or whatever is the issue because I actually think that would help with expanding its core audience of adults.

Know it sounds crazy but maybe the guy who made the movie knows what should be in his movie and why.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Know it sounds crazy but maybe the guy who made the movie knows what should be in his movie and why.

Well, obviously it’s between him and the studio. Maybe it’s important to the plot or character development and worth whatever potential box office loss results from an R, but it isn’t like Nolan isn’t capable of getting a good movie at a PG-13. Just makes me wonder what it is because it seems odd to me given the subject matter. If it turns out to be important in some way to a movie about the making of the nuclear bomb to have it in there, then kudos for standing his ground. I don’t think he’s without some self indulgence in his movies, though, but he’s earned it, I suppose. Just not my cuppa, is all. More power to anyone who feels differently! 

• Disbelief 1

Nolan knows he needs the early 40s female audience so he gave Murphy, Damon, and Hartnett full frontals during a pivotal scientific explanation set in the camp showers.

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

Yeah tbh I think the impact to box office will be minimal, this isn't a movie that was going to have much interest for those younger than 17. 

It does make me more curious about the creative direction that Nolan took on this one though

He got tired of making movies that catered to the teen age crowd, frankly.

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

Nolan’s Schindler’s List? Three hour R rated true life movie that gets huge acclaim, big box office, and Oscars love 

Nope. Schndler List would fail at the box office today. Sad but true. Oppenheimer will probalby get acclaim and Oscar love, but not box office.

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Don't know why an R rating would have an impact on the adult audience anyway, except for the "faith" audience, and he was never going to get them anyway.

16 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

This article is hilarious

I don't really buy into Puck News drama but it's not like Paramount hasn't known this for over a year. Maybe they were expecting Universal/WB to budge but always did find it weird how Paramount didn't see this coming in terms of being iced out of IMAX. And with Indy looking to be mixed in reception, that July 7th spot ought to look pretty juicy to them and might be less ironclad.

Edited by MrPink

Oppenheimer's Wikipedia page mentions three different relationships that were adulterous at some point, including his marriage: they got together and conceived their first child while she was still married to her third husband. Apparently, there was even some sex incident that scandalized their friend circle. His relationship with Jean Tatlock was pretty tempestuous and became a big issue in his security hearing. There was even surveillance of them together. She likely inspired the name of the Trinity test. Eager to see how it's all portrayed.

This movie will draw some World War 2 heads expecting a History Channel docudrama and they will be shocked by the "adult" happenings. I do wonder if it's mostly for rampant military sweariness and Nolan figured since the movie was bound to be rated R anyway...

Tom Cruise's behavior described as abnormal? What a stunner...  On the other hand, the IMAX situation this summer seems untenable and big money will be lost moving films off PLFs too quickly.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl