MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Who says that? Cameron is 68 and directing the most expensive films in the business. Scorsese is 80 and is directing a huge 200M film. Ridley Scott is 85 and he's directing huge epics like Napoleon and Gladiator 2.

If Nolan wants to keep doing huge films he can do so for as long as audiences show up for them (and for some of them clearly even longer).

Those guys are doing very well in older age, but there are no guarantees in life. Only time will tell how things play out for Nolan, but he’s riding the wave of big scale projects as long as he is allowed to do so by his health and studio budgets. 

My main sentiment for the past year has been that however good this is it’s probably being built up as the kind of movie it isn’t, and nothing’s really changed my mind about that. Part of it’s been the marketing, which is a dangerous game to play if that’s what they’ve done, and the other part is barbenheimer, which was obviously beyond their control. 

If it’s another Prestige I’ll be very happy, but I don’t think everyone will be. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I actually am starting to worry that Barbenheimer might not do this movie’s legs any favors.  

Interesting. I was wondering the same. There will certainly be a drop in engagement once Barbenheimer week ends (not sure how much).  The key question will be, how much will the movie’s real target audience - the boomers they’ve been blasting TV ads at - then turn up to see it in subsequent weeks.

They way things turned out, BARBIE is helping OPPENHEIMER immensely. Made it an event. Unlocks a younger audience for the film who probarbly (typo on purpose) would have never considered watching a 3-hour biopic. Plus IMAX is going to generate huge amount as always for Nolan and a strong long run as well.  Will be great to see all kinds of cinemas booming next weekend across the globe. Happy days.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

They way things turned out, BARBIE is helping OPPENHEIMER immensely. Made it an event. Unlocks a younger audience for the film who proparbly would have never considered watching a 3-hour biopic. Plus IMAX is going to generate huge amount as always for Nolan and a strong long run as well.  Will be great to see all kinds of cinemas booming next weekend across the globe. Happy days.

For me, unlocking the younger audience bit is key. Nolan has a hold on that millennial generation that got hooked on Inception, and it would be great if this somehow expanded his interest among young people once again.

6 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Interesting. I was wondering the same. There will certainly be a drop in engagement once Barbenheimer week ends (not sure how much).  The key question will be, how much will the movie’s real target audience - the boomers they’ve been blasting TV ads at - then turn up to see it in subsequent weeks.

Nolan is a Gen-Xer. His fanbase is primarily Millennials & Gen-Xer's. It's kind of weird that the subject matter for two of his recent movies would appear to be more targeted at the Boomers and even older than them. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I actually am starting to worry that Barbenheimer might not do this movie’s legs any favors.  

from the review seems like target audience and nolan will probably like it but those barbenheimer enjoyer will probably bored or not ejoying this at all. will affect cinemascore too. 

first sub 3.5m multiplier for nolan movies except tenet 

10 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Did it need to be so long

No way of knowing till we see the movie, but the subject matter certainly can easily justify a three hour running time, It;s all in the execution, as usual.

And if you think Oppenheimer is bad, I understand Scorsese;s Killers of the Flower Moon runs near  three and half hours.