MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

So what you're saying is like-minded people understood you. Cool. Meaningless, as I said...and that would go whether you loved or hated it, since it literally doesn't say anything about the movie. It just appeals to the instinctual side of those that preferred one movie over the other in your analogy, without actually explaining why.

For one it is closer to his later works than his (mid)earlier works - thought that was clear in my original post.

It also tucks less on emotions but focuses more on scale

In any case, the scenes which warranted the R-Rating were not necessary IMO.

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

nolan is a critics' darling. Even Tenet has 69 on metacritic and that movie is unwatchable

Tenet is amazing. One of Nolan’s best. If anything, I find it highly underrated. The opposite of Inception, which I find it overrated.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Tenet is amazing. One of Nolan’s best. If anything, I find it highly underrated. The opposite of Inception, which I find it overrated.

I think Tenet needed something in the first half of the film that settled it down. Also a better lead actor... Like Inception had!

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

It seem his best movie (Interstellar, Inception, TDK) have lower scores while his mediocre movies have sky high scores (Dunkirk)

Inception has a combo of both raves and downright vitriolic reviews from critics. The MetaCritic is hilarious. Bunch of 100’s or 90’s and then a bunch of 20’s or 30’s or 40’s. It had more very high scores as well as very low scores compared to Interstellar. They both ended up in the mid 70’s. 

Just now, ChipDerby said:

I think Tenet needed something in the first half of the film that settled it down. Also a better lead actor... Like Inception had!

I fucking love The Protagonist. I watched Inception for the first time in one of the best days of my life and watched several times since then hoping to finally get all the hype but… it just isn’t there for me. It got nothing on The Prestige, Tenet and Interstellar imho.

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It seem his best movie (Interstellar, Inception, TDK) have lower scores while his mediocre movies have sky high scores (Dunkirk)

Even Insomnia has 92% lol. I love Nolan but I find Dunkirk, Insomnia to be meh...somehow both these have >90% on RT whereas my fav Nolan movies - Interstellar, Inception have 73%, 87%

Edited by upriser7

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Even Insomnia has 92% lol. I love Nolan but I find Dunkirk, Insomnia to be meh...somehow both these have >90% on RT whereas my fav Nolan movies - Interstellar, Inception have 73%, 87%

You love Nolan but you found one of his best movies meh. OK

1 minute ago, upriser7 said:

Even Insomnia has 92% lol. I love Nolan but I find Dunkirk, Insomnia to be meh...somehow both these have >90% on RT whereas my fav Nolan movies - Interstellar, Inception have 73%, 87%. 

I rewatched Insomnia the other day. I used to rate it lower in the list of Nolan movies, but I might actually put it above Dunkirk and Interstellar these days. Would probably give those 3 movies a similar grade, but slightly prefer Insomnia.