MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

42 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The casualties in WW2 are awful, but it's a major fallacy to use those numbers to write-off the casualties from the atomic bomb.

Even at the low end of 110k casualties, that is 110k people (mostly civilians) dead from two single bombings over the course of two single days (This isn't even considering long term damage from radiation and psychological affects of those that survived). Bombings which intentionally chose civilian targets of a country that was at the verge of surrender and essentially defeated.

The debate around whether the atomic bombs should have been dropped is not determined by them being the largest cumulative source of casualties during the war. It also isn't meant to justify or forgive Japan for atrocities they committed during the war. It also isn't a sick dick measuring contest of which country suffered the most damages. It is examining two horrific single day events that changed the course of the world. It's a complex issue, but writing it off because the rest of the six year war was also bloody is a poor way to think about it.

I wasn't writing it off - I was putting it in historical context. I said it should never have been dropped.   Also replying to someone who stated civilian war casualties in China and Korea were 100,000.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Okay so Oppenheimer's musical score is instantly Top 3 Nolan scores, right? Like, it's only Interstellar, Inception, and Oppenheimer duking it out. It's magnificent.

I think TDKR score is very underaprecciated. For me, its the best score of any Batman movie. But my Top 3 Nolan scores would also be

01. Interstellar
02. Oppenheimer
03. Inception

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

They only give them out the first three Fridays!

Wait, so every 70mm IMAX or regular 70mm theater has enough film to distribute to every moviegoer attending a showing during first three Fridays? This is confirmed?

I'm not near any 70mm theaters but if this is true, I seriously might have my buddy buy me a seat at his 70mm just so he can receive the film and mail it to me lol

Edited by Dragoncaine

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I wasn't writing it off - I was putting it in historical context. I said it should never have been dropped.   Also replying to someone who stated civilian war casualties in China and Korea were 100,000.

I have to disagree. It was the best of three bad opitons. More Japanese would have died with other two..continue the blockade or invade.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 11:25 AM, lecico said:

80/305

Sleeper of 2023. Audiences are craving a high budget adult drama and there hasn't been a movie about this subject matter in a long time. Also.. Nolan. Ancedotal but its the only film i hear mentioned in my circle 

On 4/24/2023 at 3:20 PM, reddevil19 said:

Meme Lol GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

Cheers though. Needed the laugh

On 4/24/2023 at 3:38 PM, scytheavatar said:

Sounds a lot like you need to find a new circle of friends cause your current circle must be very unusual to care about no films other than Oppenheimer.

My current circle of friends has more than one who is still pissed off at Nolan for the Tenet sound issues and are not intending to see Oppenheimer because of that. Dunno how widespread that opinion is but Nolan better hope it isn't.

It was worth creating an alt just for the 'I told ya so'

Eric can ban me now

32 minutes ago, Alternator said:

It was worth creating an alt just for the 'I told ya so'

Eric can ban me now

I would not exaclty call Oppenheimer a sleeper, though.

A sleeper comes out of nowhere. Oppenhiemer got pleny of marketing and build up from Warners.

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Trackingwas always a joke. I kept saying pre-sales were almost like a 100m opener but it's release was so small that it ran out of seats. Anyway I am expecting strong legs. I won't be surprised by legs better than inception. Will be confirmed this Friday 

So far it has had daily percentages very similar to Inception, but I would be very surprised if it can keep that pace all the way to a 4.66 multiplier. That's extremely difficult.

Dunkirk & Interstellar both made it above 3.7 multiplier, which would be good enough to reach $300M for Oppenheimer. Not sure it can go that far, but I think it has a good chance to match TDK's 3.36 multiplier. That would mean a total of $276M, pretty damn great. 

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

Probably the biggest example yet of Nolan's drawing power. Really wonder what Tenet would've done in a normal climate.

Nolan has a chokehold over young millenials and older gen z, but high quality high profile military films tend to do quite well. Barbenheimer absolutely helped here as well.

I am telling everyone - Nolan + PEARL HARBOR or D-DAY = $$$$

• Like 1

15 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

The number of people who died during world war 2 in the Soviet Union gets me every time. That’s just staggering

It really is an apocalyptic figure for a single country, to put that 25 million into perspective, that's 4 million more than the current modern day population of the entire state of Florida.  I guess thats the price they paid for being the only country in Europe to successfully resist a full-on land and air attack by Nazi Germany.  Also, 80% of the German army was destroyed on the eastern front....the eastern front of WW2 was probably the most brutal fighting in human history.