MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Wait are you telling me that some folks on Twitter who might not have even seen a movie, and were barely paying attention if they were, might have gotten the wrong end of the stick about something and then resorted to lazy dunking while chasing for cheap likes and RTs?

Why I never heard of such a thing happening before!!!! :o :o :o 

What are you talking about? This isn't Twitter. I've seen Eternals. I'm sure Eric has, as well. And the Eternals Hiroshima scene extended beyond just social media memes when it was criticized by professional critics and journalists. Can we really accuse them of barely paying attention? The movie itself was poorly received because of questionable decisions like that which made some viewers uncomfortable

If anything, wouldn't this message apply to all the lazy dunking for cheap likes and RTs since it's recycled jokes?

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If anything, wouldn't this message apply to all the lazy dunking for cheap likes and RTs since it's recycled jokes?

Yes, I was making a not-so-veiled critique of Social Media in general.  One of the reasons I personally am not on any of the social media platforms.

So we can't compare Avatar's box office to Endgame in the Avatar 2 thread without a mod shutting you down as its going off topic but we can collectively complain that Nolan's movie about white historic figures has a white cast? 

Ill say it again, if you're bringing up skin colour, you're part of the problem. 

15 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Not gonna read the entire thread, but it is wild to me how white this cast is.

It's not a documentary. Take some creative liberties. Good lord.

13 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Hey, if Nolan is going from the angle "white people made this terrible thing" then all credit to him. I just think he's hiring a bunch of white people. Which is a pattern from him, imo.

So its ok using white guys if its to paint them as bad? Is that not racism?

Also as 'terrible' as the nuke is, it saved far more lives than it took

Edited by Tarintino
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tarintino said:

So we can't compare Avatar's box office to Endgame in the Avatar 2 thread without a mod shutting you down as its going off topic but we can collectively complain that Nolan's movie about white historic figures has a white cast? 

Ill say it again, if you're bringing up skin colour, you're part of the problem. 

So its ok using white guys if its to paint them as bad? Is that not racism?

Also as 'terrible' as the nuke is, it saved far more lives than it took

ECxtjCFWkAwR6RC.jpg

• Haha 5

MODERATION 

Hey all, it’s going to be a long couple months in this thread if we keep this up. 

I would caution folks to keep in mind that It is possible for two conflicting ideas to both be correct.

This movie can star a bunch of white men, and there’s nothing wrong with that, because it’s a historical drama about a bunch of white men.

People can also criticize Nolan for choosing to do a film where he can hide behind a “historically accurate façade” that will allow him to cast only white men instead of a more inclusive cast.

The atomic bomb is probably the worst invention in human history. It absolutely never should’ve been invented or used.

The people who made the decision to drop the bomb, made the decision based off of the facts and the figures they had in 1945, and not on the information that we have in 2022, and therefore who is to say What you or we would’ve done in their time with the Information they had.

all four of those things seem to contradict each other. All four of those things are true. Life is messy. You can’t handle the mess that might potentially occur in this thread, then I suggest that you keep it to just talking about how Christopher Nolan is your favorite Director of all time and how you’re really excited for Robert Downey Jr. to potentially act again instead of just doing his Tony Stark shtick. 

• Like 7

The movie isn't out.  No trailer.  The public hasn't seen the script.  Hardly a single still frame released, yet here we are with twitter and others trying to cancel it.  

Man I freaking hate 2022 and social media sometimes.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The movie isn't out.  No trailer.  The public hasn't seen the script.  Hardly a single still frame released, yet here we are with twitter and others trying to cancel it.  

Man I freaking hate 2022 and social media sometimes.  

Twitter's probably still pissed at Nolan for releasing Tenet in the middle of the pandemic, and attacking this movie is their way of payback for Nolan seemingly having blood on his hands... at least according to them. Considering that these people pretty much ended Lindsay Ellis's career over a fucking talking dragon cartoon, I wouldn't entertain them at all.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cap said:

The atomic bomb is probably the worst invention in human history. In an absolutely never should’ve been invented or used.

The people who made the decision to drop the bomb, made the decision based off of the facts and the figures they had in 1945, and not on the information that we have in 2022, and therefore who is to say What you or we would’ve done in their time with the Information they had.

The battle of Okinawa saw the death of 120k soldiers and a further 100k deaths of civilians, thats more than the 2 nukes combined and the island was being defended by around 130k japanese troops. Now imagine the death toll had America went to their next target Kyushu which was being defended by 900k troops. It would have been like Stalingrad every time they stepped foot on Japanese soil. At one point the Japanese were willing to sacrifice 20m of their own people to end the war.

Its very easy to say the nukes shouldnt have been used but imagine being the president that allowed hundreds of thousands of his soldiers to die in a grueling invasion (not even counting the japanese) when he had a weapon powerful enough to end the war in his arsenal? 

I used to think the Americans were evil for nuking japan but after binging war documentries, my opinion did change and now Im just grateful that im part of arguably the luckiest generation that has been free from such atrocities (for now 🤣). 

The nuclear bomb is one of the most terrible/terrifying inventions ever, but it has unquestionably saved millions or perhaps billions of lives over the last 77 years.  

While a tragedy that all those innocent lives were lost at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it saved at least 1m US and likely 5m additional Japanese lives by preventing an invasion of the Japanese mainland.  

If you extend that out and factor in that nukes and mutually assured destruction has likely prevented at least another world war since WW2 and countless large scale conventional engagements between super power countries, their invention has been a net positive.  

All that goes away of course if a country like Russia loses their control and escalates a conflict into a nuclear engagement.  

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The nuclear bomb is one of the most terrible/terrifying inventions ever, but it has unquestionably saved millions or perhaps billions of lives over the last 77 years.  

While a tragedy that all those innocent lives were lost at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it saved at least 1m US and likely 5m additional Japanese lives by preventing an invasion of the Japanese mainland.  

If you extend that out and factor in that nukes and mutually assured destruction has likely prevented at least another world war since WW2 and countless large scale conventional engagements between super power countries, their invention has been a net positive.  

All that goes away of course if a country like Russia loses their control and escalates a conflict into a nuclear engagement.  

lmao at this talking point. 

I agree that the bomb introduced the threat mutually assured destruction  which has prevented any large scale wars since WWII, but the "there would be more death from a Japanese invasion" is just US propaganda. The Japanese would have surrendered eventually. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Positives - the world is a much better and much safer and peaceful place the last 77 years.

Negative - still less than zero chance that a couple wrong moves mean all out nuclear war and the destruction of all society

Lol up until 3 weeks ago I would've agreed with this.

12 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I agree that the bomb introduced the threat mutually assured destruction  which has prevented any large scale wars since WWII, but the "there would be more death from a Japanese invasion" is just US propaganda. The Japanese would have surrendered eventually. 

Its certainly debatable, but I think another big reason why the bomb was dropped on Japan was a warning shot to Stalin in case the Soviets were getting any ideas in Europe after the Nazis were defeated.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ban1o said:

They had 2 large cities obliterated off the face of the earth and still took days to decide to surrender.  It would have been a bloodbath without the nukes.  There is zero evidence that Japan was on the verge of surrender without them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

They had 2 large cities obliterated off the face of the earth and still took days to decide to surrender.  It would have been a bloodbath without the nukes.  There is zero evidence that Japan was on the verge of surrender without them.  

They took DAYS to surrender? God forbid lol. 

Like, even Dwight Eisenhower thought Japan was already defeated and that the bomb was not necessary.  Russia was also about to invade. They would have surrendered. Even before the bomb was dropped Japanese leaders were trying to  negotiate on a conditional surrender but Americans were hostile to the idea of conditional surrender. Funny enough the term of the conditional surrender were extremely similar to the terms of the unconditional surrender after the bombs anyway lmao. 

They could have easily carried out a naval blockade or used the bomb in an unpopulated area if they wanted force an unconditional surrender so bad. 

I'm not even a Japanese apologist because they have a lot they still haven't atoned for in WW2. And like I said before there were some benefits to the use of the bomb, namely preventing future large scale war, but America was shitty to do what they did and it was mostly just a power move lol. 

Edited by ban1o

10 minutes ago, Cap said:

To be honest he brought it upon himself. Why couldn’t he just made a fun girls movie?

Exactly, I don't know how people expect all the convo to be light and fluffy when this is literally a movie about the fucking atomic bomb, the most controversial and heavily debated military decision in recent history lol. 

I'm looking forward to the movie but it's not like we know anything about the plot to discuss lol. 

• Like 1