MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

I agree that the bomb introduced the threat mutually assured destruction  which has prevented any large scale wars since WWII, but the "there would be more death from a Japanese invasion" is just US propaganda. The Japanese would have surrendered eventually. 

Is that debating the point, no one is saying that Japan would have not surrendered eventually from months and months of Tokyo like firebombing or Russian arrival/US land invasion without the bomb, but that those option would not have saved life.

There was a bit of a frog inside a heated pot of water, that reach boiling without fully grasping it situation going on, would Tokyo firebombing (that killed more people that Nagasaki) happen in 1914, the amount of shock it would have done versus how normal it became during WW2 is hard to grasp.

Nuke was a sort of forcing to go out of the motion, they did not surrender after Hiroshima, they did not surrender after Nagasaki, fire bombing continued a little bit after Nagasaki.

I feel the could have surrender relatively quick, with less death than the bombs often include if the Americans do not have has a condition that they stop to be an Empire (going to symbolic Emperor versus an actual one) and that changed over time when repeated by; Japan unconditional surrender happen quickly no matter what, without the bombs.

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

Wait are you telling me that some folks on Twitter who might not have even seen a movie, and were barely paying attention if they were, might have gotten the wrong end of the stick about something and then resorted to lazy dunking while chasing for cheap likes and RTs?

Why I never heard of such a thing happening before!!!! :o :o :o 

I find white twitter activists spend more time focusing on race then racial minorities do. ( I am racial minority by the way)

There is no doubt that there is a lot of history to cover about many bad things white males have done but this idea that we gotta pretend all other groups were actually or hypothically incapable in a fictional story of doing evil or bad things is so stupid and childish level of thinking.

The nuclear bomb was made by mostly white males but many nations of many races have taken this technology for their own geopolitical self interests as well. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2

I remember conservative publications like The Daily Wire and that Christian Toto guy taking issue with the nuke plot point in Eternals, but not because of any supposed racial implications, but because the movie decided to frame the nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as a horrible tragedy. Plenty of conservative grifters (apart from Armond White) seem to love Christopher Nolan movies, so I doubt there will be many complaints from them regarding this film. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

They had 2 large cities obliterated off the face of the earth and still took days to decide to surrender.  It would have been a bloodbath without the nukes.  There is zero evidence that Japan was on the verge of surrender without them.  

Hiroshina and Nagasaki weren't the only 2 cities destroyed either. People seem to forget about the bombing of Tokyo which killed more than the nuke that landed on Nagasaki

34 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Hiroshina and Nagasaki weren't the only 2 cities destroyed either. People seem to forget about the bombing of Tokyo which killed more than the nuke that landed on Nagasaki

You mean the same firebombing of Tokyo that has been mentioned multiple times before you posted this?  That one?

16 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

He  be sititng there and forshadowing his own death then the bomb happens

there was that one dude who survived both the hiroshima and nagasaki bombings. watanabe should play him. be there in nagasaki like

alien-kane.gif

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The movie isn't out.  No trailer.  The public hasn't seen the script.  Hardly a single still frame released, yet here we are with twitter and others trying to cancel it.  

Man I freaking hate 2022 and social media sometimes.  

Ahh yes, criticizing a movie is now "cancelling". Great one. I'll take that into account next time I see you review a film.

Nobody is "cancelling" Nolan. But it is completely fair to point out that he has a habit, as do MOST directors, of hiring significantly white casts. Regardless of the subject of the film.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Twitter's probably still pissed at Nolan for releasing Tenet in the middle of the pandemic, and attacking this movie is their way of payback for Nolan seemingly having blood on his hands... at least according to them. Considering that these people pretty much ended Lindsay Ellis's career over a fucking talking dragon cartoon, I wouldn't entertain them at all.

It was, and still is, very stupid that WB caved to Nolan and released Tenet to theaters at that time. But hey, he got what he wanted, a new contract with another studio. 

16 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Ahh yes, criticizing a movie is now "cancelling". Great one. I'll take that into account next time I see you review a film.

Nobody is "cancelling" Nolan. But it is completely fair to point out that he has a habit, as do MOST directors, of hiring significantly white casts. Regardless of the subject of the film.

Well, when it comes to this film, historical accuracy should be adhered to when it comes to race. I don't get the title of the thread...like what?

Just now, Torontofan said:

I have a feeling Lord of the rings would get cancelled by twitter if it came out today. 

It was revolutionary for depicting the very first gay relationship in a major blockbuster.

Frodo the Homo and Samwise the Gaywise...tell me otherwise. I dare you.

• Haha 2

Moderation

Look, I understand you guys don't like a lot of the film's backlash and hate social media, but this has gone on long enough.

And just as a reminder, the best way to stop something that annoys you is to simply ignore it. By giving these Twitter people you hate attention, you're just giving them a voice and a platform. Just ignoring them and moving on will make things so much better for everyone.

• Knock It Off 1

38 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Well, when it comes to this film, historical accuracy should be adhered to when it comes to race. I don't get the title of the thread...like what?

But why though? It's not a documentary. I don't even think it's technically a biopic. So why is there this need to make everything "historically accurate" when we know the dialogue will all be fictional. It's just a very strange choice, to me, for him to make these decisions.

But as I also mentioned, this isn't specifically a Nolan problem. But he's a part of the problem.

29 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

But why though? It's not a documentary. I don't even think it's technically a biopic. So why is there this need to make everything "historically accurate" when we know the dialogue will all be fictional. It's just a very strange choice, to me, for him to make these decisions.

But as I also mentioned, this isn't specifically a Nolan problem. But he's a part of the problem.

I'll cast an Asian to play Oprah Winfrey. A black person to play JK Rowling. A white person to play Akwafina.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think historical accuracy should be adhered to as best as possible for a movie that’s based on a true story, although as mentioned before, there were black people who worked on the Manhattan Project. I’m just not sure how many Oppenheimer actually worked with. 

• Like 2

Personally as a person who likes to see more minorties in films it becomes quite jarring when you watch a historical based TV show or Movie set in a historical setting and a random minority is a warrior in a viking village in Norway.

Like if he came as an emmissary or a trader or as a mercenary (as these all have historical basis and real world examples) but it just takes me out of the film when do stuff like that personally.

To be honest it would be the other way as well if I watch a film set in anicent india 500-1000 yaers ago and one of the warriors of the kingdom is a british white guy.