MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

It's certainly a fair enough meme given the increasingly riduclous size of the cast, but if the guy who chose an almost completely unknown John David Washington to headline his gigantic movie in a role any other a-lister would have happily taken becomes the target of actual, serious 'you got a problem with minorities?' accusations it'll be a bit weird.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

It's certainly a fair enough meme given the increasingly riduclous size of the cast, but if the guy who chose an almost completely unknown John David Washington to headline his gigantic movie in a role any other a-lister would have happily taken becomes the target of actual, serious 'you got a problem with minorities?' accusations it'll be a bit weird.

lol not y'all ignoring that he Denzel's son🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I am far from a Nolan fan but I don't think he's a dour artist with self-centered arrogance. All his interviews are funny and Tenet has the immortal hot sauce line. Dunkirk opens with soldiers attempting to take a dump on a beach.

There's also the (very) dry humour of the Batman films. 

Alfred: I suppose they'll wanna lock me up, too, as your accomplice.
Bruce: Accomplice? I'm gonna tell them the whole thing was your idea.

11 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Interstellar seems to be one of his more popular movies now. It was polarizing at the time but it had great legs and now alot more people seem to praise it

Even though it gets really silly sometimes(looking at you Hathaway love speech), its probably my favorite film of his.  Its probably because I just love space travel movies so much.  I found Dunkirk and Tenet to be completely forgettable though.

13 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I am far from a Nolan fan but I don't think he's a dour artist with self-centered arrogance. All his interviews are funny and Tenet has the immortal hot sauce line. Dunkirk opens with soldiers attempting to take a dump on a beach.

I think post Inception, he's operating in a more... experimental level that has sort of alienated his fanbase from TDK and Inception. Dunkirk is 3 concurrent non-linear narratives. Tenet is his Mann film. Interstellar is possibly his most polarizing film. This just makes him an easy target for online snark. In 2020 everyone wanted him dead as if he had WB at bulletpoint urging them to release the film ASAP and forcing the masses into the theaters.

From 2006-2014ish, his online fandom was insane, being a Nolan fan was like the cool thing to be in the online film world.  Like, think SnyderCult™ except WAY bigger and the films were actually pretty good.

That stuff back in 2020 though expecting everyone to go back to theaters right after COVID started was ridiculous rich man privileged brainworms though.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 3:17 PM, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Cool.  Is he playing a Terminator who comes back from the future to prevent the atomic bomb from actually being made?  Now THAT is a movie I'd like to see...historical fantasy fulfilled!  And who do you root for?  Interesting dilemma...  

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s been trendy for certain corners of the Internet to dunk on him for years now, especially after Tenet. I want to say it initially started around 2012/2013, with The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel. 

I think there are quite enough people in the industry and public who simply don't subscribe to his movies, as well.  Which is also why the Academy has never seen fit to really award him...or even nominate him much.  Having said that, I only just caught up with DUNKIRK -- this is his best movie, as far as I'm concerned!  I liked this far more than anything else he's done!  I still can't bear getting to TENET.  

Edited by Macleod

On 3/10/2022 at 10:55 PM, Krissykins said:

The replies to this are unsurprisingly hilarious 

It's the people with racism always in the back of their mind that see an all white cast, most people just see a bunch of actors.

21 hours ago, ban1o said:

I just think it's weird to make a movie about the Manhattan Project and not include anything about the Japanese perspective.  Does this follow  Oppenheimer's post WW2 years or is it literally just them creating the bomb? 

About black people not being in the film. Like... whatever  idrc. I just laugh at people who act like black people just suddenly appeared in like 1956 lmao. "iT wAs tHe NiNtEEn FoRTieS." 

Honestly any depiction of Japanese, would probably be racist anyway so it's probably for the best lmao. 

It wouldn't surprise me not having a Japenese perspective. He managed to make Dunkirk without showing any perspective from the Germans, even when they were being shot at we didn't actually see Axis soldiers.

Dunkirk was nothing like I expected upon announcement. He loves his excessive exposition which suited a story like that yet he restrained himself and decided to show rather than tell which was a shock. I dont think Nolan will make the sort of movie people are expecting.

• ...wtf 1

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Even though it gets really silly sometimes(looking at you Hathaway love speech), its probably my favorite film of his.  Its probably because I just love space travel movies so much.  I found Dunkirk and Tenet to be completely forgettable though.

From 2006-2014ish, his online fandom was insane, being a Nolan fan was like the cool thing to be in the online film world.  Like, think SnyderCult™ except WAY bigger and the films were actually pretty good.

That stuff back in 2020 though expecting everyone to go back to theaters right after COVID started was ridiculous rich man privileged brainworms though.

The love speech was all sorts of cringe when I first watched it but it does end up tying in with the story so I appreciate it more now. I love my sci fi and space exploration too which makes it my favourite. Dunkirkjust felt surprsingly hard to sit through for such a short movie. There was some grest shots but ai couldnt get behind the editing. They must have shot the same bomber down 3 times

17 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

It wouldn't surprise me not having a Japenese perspective. He managed to make Dunkirk without showing any perspective from the Germans, even when they were being shot at we didn't actually see Axis soldiers.

Obviously I don't know the direction he's going, but  to me, it's a bit different to not show the perspective of the Germans attacking Dunkirk and focusing on the evacuation  versus not showing any perspective of the hundreds of thousands of people killed by the bombs  that I'm assuming are being depicted in the film. Like I assume the movie is going to address some sort of moral quandary in Oppenheimer and possibly the ramifications of what happened but I'm not Nolan nor am I a director or writer so who knows. 

22 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

It's the people with racism always in the back of their mind that see an all white cast, most people just see a bunch of actors.

lmao this is dumb.  I'm sure if this was a collage of solely black actors faces, or solely asian people's faces, most people would not just see it as a "a bunch of actors" lol. White isn't the default to everyone.

Pretty much everyone alive thought that Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Inception were instant-classic level films with TDK. true all-time great. TDKR was a genuine pop culture event and widely beloved too, though not quite to the level of the other 3. Lessthanstellar had some flaws and Dunkirk was not everyones cup of tea. Tenet was a confusing, unmarketable flop. 

Nolan is not quite at "comeback film" level yet. But if this doesn't work out commercially, he simply won't be able to justify his enormous fee. I don't think that is a controversial thing to say. He would be near 15 years removed from his last truly popular film. 

He knows he needs a hit, no doubt that is why Josh Hartnett was cast. ;) 

Edited by excel1

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Dunkirk was his most acclaimed film and his first Director nom. It was such a success that WB gave him his largest budget for Tenet

I don’t think he’s in comeback stage, just becoming increasingly more experimental like I said last night.

With people in the general public (aka not movie buffs), Dunkirk is WELL behind all TDK films and Inception. 

• Like 1

Asked how she won Christopher Nolan over and landed his Oppenheimer in the wake of Warner Bros. upsetting the filmmaker with their 2021 slate theatrical-HBO Max plan, Langley explained that she had been talking with the filmmaker for some time, and that they had developed a movie in the past, The Prisoner. 

On why Nolan is a good fit for Universal: “He makes films that are undeniably theatrical; that’s part of our strategy.”

We really focus and strive to create an environment for filmmakers where they can do their best work and minimize the friction and noise, and complement their film with an excellent distribution and marketing campaign, and I think to the end that’s what Hollywood is looking for,” she added.

At the same time, her philosophy when it comes to the movie business is that “one size doesn’t fit all” in regards to business models.

21 hours ago, ban1o said:

lmao this is dumb.  I'm sure if this was a collage of solely black actors faces, or solely asian people's faces, most people would not just see it as a "a bunch of actors" lol. White isn't the default to everyone.

It depends on the context of the movie though. Given the history around Oppenhiemer and the key names involved, people would already have been expecting a largely white cast before they were announced so all the slack just comes across as virtue signalling at this point. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tarintino said:

It depends on the context of the movie though. Given the history around Oppenhiemer and the key names involved, people would already have been expecting a largely white cast before they were announced so all the slack just comes across as virtue signalling at this point. 

Doesn’t mean we can’t laugh at the film or its casting reveals though. 

• Like 1