MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Is Twitter really going to try and cancel Oppenheimer of all movies? Come on. Then again, I shouldn't be too surprised considering they pretty much ended Lindsay Ellis's career over a funny talking Awkwafina dragon movie. Couple that attitude with the grudge some people have against him for releasing Tenet during the pandemic, and yeah... Nolan's going to be very grateful to be largely a phantom online.

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Is Twitter really going to try and cancel Oppenheimer of all movies? Come on. Then again, I shouldn't be too surprised considering they pretty much ended Lindsay Ellis's career over a funny talking Awkwafina dragon movie. Couple that attitude with the grudge some people have against him for releasing Tenet during the pandemic, and yeah... Nolan's going to be very grateful to be largely a phantom online.

I don’t think they’re trying to cancel it, they’re just laughing about it and making jokes and memes about all of the casting so far.

Just making fun of the film. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ban1o said:

No but genuinely it seems like Nolan gathered every white male actor with a middling career for this film. Josh Peck? The guy from Sky High???? 

Don’t slander Josh Peck like that lol.

The casting headlines started with major names in pivotal roles (RDJ! Emily Blunt! Cillian Murphy stars!) and now it's clearly people who'll have about 5-10 lines in the final cut, if that. Think about the Best Cast lineups at the SAG Awards, we're 2-3 times that with the known Oppenheimer cast members. At this point, I don't even think it's the studio sending out press releases, just the media latching onto any news they can get about the new Nolan movie. And now that social media is really noticing the overall racial breakdown of the cast, sites are only going to dig harder and report "casting scoops" on practically every glorified extra and get the outrage click Twitter engagement if it's yet another white person.

Coming in the week the Zoe Kravitz/Dark Knight Rises story got a lot of play, you knew Twitter was going to go in on Nolan. The online worm has turned on him anyway and some people are looking for any reason to pick him apart. It would be even worse if Oppenheimer were directly following Dunkirk, rather than Tenet...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The casting headlines started with major names in pivotal roles (RDJ! Emily Blunt! Cillian Murphy stars!) and now it's clearly people who'll have about 5-10 lines in the final cut, if that. Think about the Best Cast lineups at the SAG Awards, we're 2-3 times that with the known Oppenheimer cast members. At this point, I don't even think it's the studio sending out press releases, just the media latching onto any news they can get about the new Nolan movie. And now that social media is really noticing the overall racial breakdown of the cast, sites are only going to dig harder and report "casting scoops" on practically every glorified extra and get the outrage click Twitter engagement if it's yet another white person.

Coming in the week the Zoe Kravitz/Dark Knight Rises story got a lot of play, you knew Twitter was going to go in on Nolan. The online worm has turned on him anyway and some people are looking for any reason to pick him apart. It would be even worse if Oppenheimer were directly following Dunkirk, rather than Tenet...

Nolan doesn’t use social media, so people would just be screaming to the void. 

22 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Universal hasn't been commenting on half these castings or the majority of them since the new year, so it definitely seems like either scoopers or talent agencies just sending them out to the trades to get their client's name out there.

Obviously, I'm a big Nolan fan, and I recognize that a lot of the major historical players in this subject are predominantly white, but yeah, with all the castings, it's kinda y'know, weird to have this many announcements with so few POC (basically being Rami). I guess there isn't going to be any kind of Japanese perspective within the film.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Michael Angarano is an Emmy nominee. 

lmao Michael Angarano has stans out there🤣. It's just funny how every time a white man is cast in this  there's a big announcement on social media. They should have just announced the cast all at once lmao. 

Edited by ban1o

18 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Universal hasn't been commenting on half these castings or the majority of them since the new year, so it definitely seems like either scoopers or talent agencies just sending them out to the trades to get their client's name out there.

Obviously, I'm a big Nolan fan, and I recognize that a lot of the major historical players in this subject are predominantly white, but yeah, with all the castings, it's kinda y'know, weird to have this many announcements with so few POC (basically being Rami). I guess there isn't going to be any kind of Japanese perspective within the film.

This is what I was wondering! The scope of the movie must be pretty small. Gonna be boring as fuck. 

• Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

We need to see more people of color commit war crimes on screen. True representation

Culture_eternals_HIR1107_comp_v004.1040.

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

This is what I was wondering! The scope of the movie must be pretty small. Gonna be boring as fuck. 

You say small, I say intimate :sparta:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Nolan doesn’t use social media, so people would just be screaming to the void. 

Celebrities who don't use social media have staffers or family/friends to keep them filled in. Remember the "controversy" that started when Anne Hathaway said Nolan doesn’t have chairs on the set and doesn’t want people sitting between takes? That had some ugly implications with respect to rest on set, disabilities, etc., and Twitter had strong opinions. His team got it cleared up pretty quickly that the chair thing wasn't true.

So, I'm sure that Nolan and/or people at Universal have some awareness of the brewing criticisms about Oppenheimer being very white. Does that mean he'll do anything differently? Not necessarily. He probably knows about the "dead wife" writing for women characters getting slammed and except for Murph (originally a son in the first drafts), it's still not that great. Though character development hasn't been a strong suit for anyone in his last two movies, so...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I just think it's weird to make a movie about the Manhattan Project and not include anything about the Japanese perspective.  Does this follow  Oppenheimer's post WW2 years or is it literally just them creating the bomb? 

About black people not being in the film. Like... whatever  idrc. I just laugh at people who act like black people just suddenly appeared in like 1956 lmao. "iT wAs tHe NiNtEEn FoRTieS." 

Honestly any depiction of Japanese, would probably be racist anyway so it's probably for the best lmao. 

Edited by ban1o

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Celebrities who don't use social media have staffers or family/friends to keep them filled in. Remember the "controversy" that started when Anne Hathaway said Nolan doesn’t have chairs on the set and doesn’t want people sitting between takes? That had some ugly implications with respect to rest on set, disabilities, etc., and Twitter had strong opinions. His team got it cleared up pretty quickly that the chair thing wasn't true.

So, I'm sure that Nolan and/or people at Universal have some awareness of the brewing criticisms about Oppenheimer being very white. Does that mean he'll do anything differently? Not necessarily. He probably knows about the "dead wife" writing for women characters getting slammed and except for Murph (originally a son in the first drafts), it's still not that great. Though character development hasn't been a strong suit for anyone in his last two movies, so...

I guarantee you the majority of celebs who "don't have social media" do in fact have social media accounts not attached to their real name. So many have admitted so as well lmao. 

• Like 1

There should be a Japanese perspective but we still have no idea how the film will be framed.

Film is a diverse medium that is based off multiple perspectives creating universal language collectively but so many online people complaining about lack of diversity in this film of all films are just freely admitting it's not about authentically true representation to them, just a matter of quota... which is even worse

• Like 1

the "controversy" is just some fake Twitter controversy normal people don't care about

however,  I am kind of surprised at the number of roles being announced. I am guessing despite an article at every role being  cast released, a lot of these people are actually going to have very minor roles