MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

There should be a Japanese perspective but we still have no idea how the film will be framed.

Film is a diverse medium that is based off multiple perspectives creating universal language collectively but so many online people complaining about lack of diversity in this film of all films are just freely admitting it's not about authentically true representation to them, just a matter of quota... which is even worse

I'm not really casting stones until we see the final product, or at least a lot more of it, which is why I'm only framing this as "Huh, strange"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You’ve said this a few times, but it’s not a free pass for the film btw.

Just so you know. 

Then don’t watch the movie? I’m sure Nolan and Universal are concerned the Scream fan on a box office forum says the atomic bomb movie is too white and doesn’t deserve the pass.

I just don’t know what to tell you other than this virtue signaling diversity patrolling is pointless. You have no idea what the movie even is and you yet want a stuffy British white guy who can barely write characters to throw in some people of color to say a line of dialogue or two? Are you going to count the non white actors in every scene and take a sigh of relief if the quota is higher than 3? This is like when the MCU stans hid behind the diversity angle to shield criticism.

Just watch and support the films made by non-POC directors giving diversity opportunities. That will leads to more funding and more growth. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Then don’t watch the movie? I’m sure Nolan and Universal are concerned the Scream fan on a box office forum says the atomic bomb movie is too white and doesn’t deserve the pass.

I just don’t know what to tell you other than this virtue signaling diversity patrolling is pointless. You have no idea what the movie even is and you yet want a stuffy British white guy who can barely write characters to throw in some people of color to say a line of dialogue or two? Are you going to count the non white actors in every scene and take a sigh of relief if the quota is higher than 3? This is like when the MCU stans hid behind the diversity angle to shield criticism.

Just watch and support the films made by non-POC directors giving diversity opportunities. That will leads to more funding and more growth. 

Too long didn't read. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Is Nolan like no longer the internet's favorite filmmaker?

Does that honor now belong to the Dune guy?

i think twitter has hated him ever since every single person who saw Tenet at a cinema died of COVID.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

It’s been trendy for certain corners of the Internet to dunk on him for years now, especially after Tenet. I want to say it initially started around 2012/2013, with The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Popular directors always get random hate. But I don't really think this situation has to do with Nolan hate. Any film  with a cast of 50 people where another white male actor is cast everyday  would be getting ridiculed by some parts of social media. 

• Like 1

I think most people just wanted to see Nolan do something different for once, especially after Tenet felt like a parody of what you expect from a Nolan movie at times (some of the dialogue he had his talented actors say, oof). It's funny how the full trailer for it caused many to go "oh look, he made a fun movie for once" and yet the final movie probably takes itself more seriously than most of his output does despite having one of the sillier plots out of all of them.

• Like 1

I am far from a Nolan fan but I don't think he's a dour artist with self-centered arrogance. All his interviews are funny and Tenet has the immortal hot sauce line. Dunkirk opens with soldiers attempting to take a dump on a beach.

I think post Inception, he's operating in a more... experimental level that has sort of alienated his fanbase from TDK and Inception. Dunkirk is 3 concurrent non-linear narratives. Tenet is his Mann film. Interstellar is possibly his most polarizing film. This just makes him an easy target for online snark. In 2020 everyone wanted him dead as if he had WB at bulletpoint urging them to release the film ASAP and forcing the masses into the theaters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I am far from a Nolan fan but I don't think he's a dour artist with self-centered arrogance. All his interviews are funny and Tenet has the immortal hot sauce line. Dunkirk opens with soldiers attempting to take a dump on a beach.

I think post Inception, he's operating in a more... experimental level that has sort of alienated his fanbase from TDK and Inception. Dunkirk is 3 concurrent non-linear narratives. Tenet is his Mann film. Interstellar is possibly his most polarizing film. This just makes him an easy target for online snark. In 2020 everyone wanted him dead as if he had WB at bulletpoint urging them to release the film ASAP and forcing the masses into the theaters.

Interstellar seems to be one of his more popular movies now. It was polarizing at the time but it had great legs and now alot more people seem to praise it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Haha, I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick. Something you do quite often, tbh. 

I don’t think anyone is really offended by the all white cast, people are just making fun of the film. 

That’s all. I only came to the thread to post the funny memes. That’s all I’ve seen for this film to be honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Haha, I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick. Something you do quite often, tbh. 

I don’t think anyone is really offended by the all white cast, people are just making fun of the film. 

That’s all. I only came to the thread to post the funny memes. That’s all I’ve seen for this film to be honest.

It’s just dumb and the same jokes over and over again, reducing real topics to ironic memes. Nolan is a director with niche perspective that’s rarely allowed room for other perspectives, so I just find it puzzling there’s an outcry/meme for such a limited Director to implement voices from demos he’s long avoided as some kind of validation. Especially given the little details of story/ensemble about a specific time period made public. The real response to these issues has always been to champion the actually diverse films IMO. And if it’s about jokes, where were these memes for GDT and Nightmare Alley last year? That’s even worse since it’s a POC Director with diverse track record 

Also it’s quite weird to quote me to say I’m wrong about the casting and nothing defends it, then accuse me of having wrong end of stick, then admitting to having little knowledge of the film

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

On 3/11/2022 at 6:57 AM, WorkingonaName said:

Twitter users are the worst members of society. 

I agree, and probably these same idiots were also the ones who were defending the absurd idea of having Jodie Turner-Smith interpret Anna Boleyn...