MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

man what a throwback. I feel like she was on a lot of those "the next big thing" lists a decade ago and then sort of disappeared.

this movie is full of people that fit that bill tbh, lead by Josh Hartnett.

• Like 1

I have to imagine most of the late additions like Affleck, Oldman, etc. are likely very small roles mostly as a favor to Nolan (having worked with him before). I wonder if he'll manage to lure Michael Caine out of retirement for one final small appearance or if Branagh has officially taken over as his new favorite veteran to appear in all of his movies going forward.

Edited by filmlover

I know Nolan is probably stubborn about releasing in july but if i were Universal I would move this to the fall. Like a biopic about the guy who created the atomic bomb that's costing hundred million dollars coming out a week after Mission impossible, a week before Antman and the same day as Barbie. This doesn't scream summer movie imo. 

40 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I know Nolan is probably stubborn about releasing in july but if i were Universal I would move this to the fall. Like a biopic about the guy who created the atomic bomb that's costing hundred million dollars coming out a week after Mission impossible, a week before Antman and the same day as Barbie. This doesn't scream summer movie imo. 

Eh, Dunkirk did fine coming out between Spider-man and a Mission Impossible.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Eh, Dunkirk did fine coming out between Spider-man and a Mission Impossible.

Mission Impossible was not the same year.

Even without Barbie I think one should move to ensure proper IMAX runs for both MI and this film 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Mission Impossible was not the same year.

Even without Barbie I think one should move to ensure proper IMAX runs for both MI and this film 

I would say Mission: Impossible should move to May 19 under the assumption Fast X won't be making its date but there's a 100% chance that The Little Mermaid has IMAX/PLF screens on lock the weekend after that.

Without Nolan's names,  Oppenheimer is only an arthouse film in US.

Barbie will destroy Oppenheimer, and it will end Nolan's big budget career.  (Unless he exclusively makes films for Netflix, just like what David Fincher is doing.)

Edited by John2015
  • Haha 1

Just now, John2015 said:

Without Nolan's names,  Oppenheimer is only an arthouse film. in US

Barbie will destroy Oppenheimer, and it will end Nolan's big budget career.  (Unless he exclusively makes film for Netflix, just like what David Fincher is doing.)

monsters-inc-confused-kid.gif

• Haha 3

I will also say these Barbie predictions feel very, very wishful thinking IMO. It'll probably make more than that Dora movie, but this has the same uphill battle as Dora where it's taking a character known for exclusively targeting young girls, aiming it toward an older audience, and ends up confused on what its audience should be. The idea of it opening higher than Oppenheimer seems extreme to me.

8 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

I will also say these Barbie predictions feel very, very wishful thinking IMO. It'll probably make more than that Dora movie, but this has the same uphill battle as Dora where it's taking a character known for exclusively targeting young girls, aiming it toward an older audience, and ends up confused on what its audience should be. The idea of it opening higher than Oppenheimer seems extreme to me.

I'm thinking more "good opening, long run with plenty of staying power" re: Barbie. Girls Trip opened to $31M against Nolan's Dunkirk and this should at least match or exceed that thanks to the star power.

Edited by filmlover