MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

2 hours ago, Eric is a furry said:

I will also say these Barbie predictions feel very, very wishful thinking IMO. It'll probably make more than that Dora movie, but this has the same uphill battle as Dora where it's taking a character known for exclusively targeting young girls, aiming it toward an older audience, and ends up confused on what its audience should be. The idea of it opening higher than Oppenheimer seems extreme to me.

I had Barbie as a potential 50M opener way back during the Schumer as Barbie days. Now I can see a 35-40M opening with really long legs to get to 150 as the last female skewing movie of the summer. There's definitely potential for Barbie domestic higher than Oppenheimer domestic if reviews are good.

37 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

A teaser in front of Nope should be pretty likely right? Wonder if they'll be able to do a prologue in front of Avatar 2 in December too.

We're assuming but truth is we have no idea how Universal is going to handle marketing compared to previous Nolan films

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I would assume that Nolan has some kind of say in the matter. 

Sure, to some degree, possibly. But who knows if Universal or even Nolan want to do things differently this time around

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

We're assuming but truth is we have no idea how Universal is going to handle marketing compared to previous Nolan films

I think Nope being both a Universal film and being shot in 70MM IMAX puts it in a really unique position here and makes it the perfect movie for Universal and Nolan to show something off.  Would not be surprised if IMAX is begging for them to show something in front of Nope too.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 12:41 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The issue with Oppenheimer is that Nolan needs some kind of hook to get audiences in. I wouldn't doubt his draw power but this is something that can easily be flat and passionless. And as I've mentioned, he's become increasingly more esoteric

Big Nuke go boom in Imax

great hook

This film is going to need to be GOAT good in order to come even close to making money. This seems like such an obvious "lose money now to make money later via Nolan relationship" play.