MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

I think the poster problem is caused by the desire that Uni marketing team try as hard as they could to make it look big(ger).

Honestly, all they need to do is showing more actors/stars...Then let us make funny posters.

FvYLmIDaIAEdDcC?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

The film was always going to lean more drama….why would we expect otherwise?

It isn't leaning drama, it is a drama. This is not an "epic scale" tentpole as they declared when it was announced. Still very excited for it but its commercial prospects, especially at 3 hours, are dwindling. 

Edited by excel1

10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It isn't leaning drama, it is a drama. This is not an "epic scale" tentpole as they declared when it was announced. Still very excited for it but its commercial prospects, especially at 3 hours, are dwindling. 

I say lean drama because I think it’s fair to still define it as a thriller. And that is exactly how Universal described it in their original press release.

I also think people are way too hellbent on subject matter and runtime. I care more whether it’s good. And if it’s good, it’ll do fine. Maybe a limited ceiling. But Nolan’s name has already gotten this way more attention and press than a movie about Oppenheimer would normally get otherwise and that is a luxury for his films that’ll likely prevent it from being an outright bomb. And guaranteed IMAX screens will always help juice the gross.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The scale of the film is small per blockbuster standards but it'll certainly be one of the most immersive spectacles of the year just for the IMAX nuclear stuff alone (the glimpses in the trailer always give me goosebumps). Giving me Twin Peaks The Return Part 8 vibes.

Edited by TheDude391
  • Like 2

I wonder how far of a drive it will be for me to see this in 70mm. Does anyone know all the current IMAX’s in Florida set up for the format? If any at all?

Not trying to book a hotel for it but I’d be willing to make it a day trip.

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

Depends on how you define epic. It is epic in that it covers a farily long period of time and has a number of charecters but is not epic if you mean big spectaclar scenes with lots of eye candy. This is my most anticipated film of the summer, but I don't expect it to be a hit. which says a lot about today's movie audiences...and nothing good IMHO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I’m looking forward to the film but Nolan’s brand is definitely warping expectations for this. It really feels like it’s being marketed and hyped up as something it very likely isn’t. 

I agree.

Problem is a serioius drama that has little spectacle or eyecandy is a very hard sell nowdays no matter who does it.

59 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

The scale of the film is small per blockbuster standards but it'll certainly be one of the most immersive spectacles of the year just for the IMAX nuclear stuff alone (the glimpses in the trailer always give me goosebumps). Giving me Twin Peaks The Return Part 8 vibes.

THe Trinity test will probably be less then two minutes in a theee hour film. That is not immersive spectacle. I hope.and expect, the film will be immersive but not  for the spectacle.

People are so used to the idea that any long film has to have massive amounts of spectacle they have problmes adjusting to the idea this film will not have that.

• Like 1

I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a good comparison for this. Obviously the star power in that film was bigger, at least from a leads perspective, but Oppenheimer is not lacking in star power either. And the plot for Hollywood was probably “smaller” in scope and more vague in its marketing in terms of what it was about. Yet it did fairly well in the end even without IMAX.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a good comparison for this. Obviously the star power in that film was bigger, at least from a leads perspective, but Oppenheimer is not lacking in star power either. And the plot for Hollywood was probably “smaller” in scope and more vague in its marketing in terms of what it was about. Yet it did fairly well in the end even without IMAX.

If the film is good, I hope it does well; historicsl films are my favorite genre. But I am skeptical; it does not the have the "cool hip " factor that OUATIH had .

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

In terms of the scope, I do remember saying that Nolan should probably scale things back after Tenet, and it seems that is indeed what he’s doing. 

Define scope. I think it has plenyy of scope in terms of story and charecters, but not a great deal of visual scope, if that makes any sense.

Just now, dudalb said:

Define scope. I think it has plenyy of scope in terms of story and charecters, but not a great deal of visual scope, if that makes any sense.

Tenet is a loud sci-fi action movie about trying to prevent the end of the world, while this is a historical drama that will presumably be more quiet and reserved. 

This is not an overly commercial film was mass appeal. It just isn't. A $45m/$160m type of domestic run is entirely possible, but feels like best case scenario.