Eric Duncan

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

In 3 markets Venom 2 has opened so far, its handily ahead NTTD. Of course none of them is Europe and other than Italy, Spain & France neither will really get close to NTTD as well but that can be easily set off by just China.

V2 will be targeting $800-900M WW, NTTD most likely be $750M+.

Wait so Venom is being released in China now? Then yeah you're probably right considering the last movie made like 300m there. It's still not MCU though (yes I'm moving them goal posts 😂)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm just amused that it's not just Marvel/DC/Star Wars fanbase fans that can get UBER-worked up about their movies and their performances...

Aka - I did not expect to wake up to a fan war this weekend:)...

I've been on the block long enough to know that every major movie series has people leaping to defend it at the slightest bit of negativity. Not sure why that is, seeing as how said franchises will always stay relevant thanks to their corporate overlords and will continue to make the creators/producers/actors richer than most folks here will ever be, but it is annoying how we have to sometimes use kid gloves to discuss a film's potential shortcomings, or else get bombarded by "ITS STILL A HIT. ITS STILL A HIT. YOU CANT SAY ITS A BOMB. BOND WILL LIVE FOREVER" Like...I know that?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm just amused that it's not just Marvel/DC/Star Wars fanbase fans that can get UBER-worked up about their movies and their performances...

Aka - I did not expect to wake up to a fan war this weekend:)...

We only have 2 franchises, we will protect them with our lives 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

to be fair, they’ve managed to reinvent him for new audiences for 60 years, over 25 films, so I think Bond has earned the benefit of the doubt he’ll be just fine. 

Nobody does it better. 

My argument - which seems to have been misinterpreted - was that the nature of the last three reinventions were very similar to each other, and predicated on the same contemporaneous perception of the franchise.

Whoever comes next will be the first person to be launched into the role since 1973 whose debut will not be able to be positioned as 'grounding the films compared to what came before'.

Even if you dismiss the idea that this is going to be difficult, or represents a challenge for the producers, can you not understand the notion that this dynamic is - at the very least - interesting?

I do not think the franchise is dead. Or dying. Just as Doctor Who is neither dead nor dying despite it being much further along the tracks of the dynamic I was discussing. I don't think that's a perception anyone actually has on this thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

It makes me laugh because Americans were trying to tell JK Rowling how to run her franchise too, and how to think for that matter. We saw how quickly they killed Star Wars 🤣

The fact that Bond's going to end up surpassing F9 after Spectre's performance is a testament to the franchise's staying power.

I mean the last 4 out 5 Star Wars films have grossed more than the last 4 out of 5 Bond films. The last 4 out 5 Star Wars films also did more than the last 4 out of 5 Potter films. I’m not saying NTTD is doing bad, it’s doing quite good but to say that Star Wars is a dead franchise is laughable.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Chicago said:

If we allowed the young American millennials and Gen Zers to have their way with Bond he'd probably lose all his masculinity. We would just be left with a woke/cringe inducing Bond, or even a Jane Bond

Wow, that sounds awesome. Way better than the boring, sexist, largely offensive dreck the series has been plagued with for decades, even into the Brosnan and Craig era.

17 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Wait so Venom is being released in China now? Then yeah you're probably right considering the last movie made like 300m there. It's still not MCU though (yes I'm moving them goal posts 😂)

…it’s not? 

Are you sure? ;)

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I mean the last 4 out 5 Star Wars films have grossed more than the last 4 out of 5 Bond films. The last 4 out 5 Star Wars films also did more than the last 4 out of 5 Potter films. I’m not saying NTTD is doing bad, it’s doing quite good but to say that Star Wars is a dead franchise is laughable.

Okay that's hyperbole but the fact they managed to turn a 2b initial grosser into the state it is now shows they fucked up. SW is the grand daddy of franchises which made them 2b from a trailer alone. The built in fanbase and hype gave them their highest grossing movie but it's gone massively down hill since then. Disney knew how to sell the product but unfortunately didn't know how to make them. It may not be dead but it's clear the disappointing results they've had lately has forced them to rethink all those films in the pipeline. The fact the trilogy endee only ended up doing a bit better than the Hobbits finale just shows the drop in audience they had

7 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

My argument - which seems to have been misinterpreted - was that the nature of the last three reinventions were very similar to each other, and predicated on the same contemporaneous perception of the franchise.

Whoever comes next will be the first person to be launched into the role since 1973 whose debut will not be able to be positioned as 'grounding the films compared to what came before'.

Even if you dismiss the idea that this is going to be difficult, or represents a challenge for the producers, can you not understand the notion that this dynamic is - at the very least - interesting?

I do not think the franchise is dead. Or dying. Just as Doctor Who is neither dead nor dying despite it being much further along the tracks of the dynamic I was discussing. I don't think that's a perception anyone actually has on this thread. 

that’s cool. 

They’ve faced difficult decisions before. I think they’ll welcome a fresh start. If anything, having a relatively interconnected story for the past 5 movies has had its own pressures. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RRA said:

Albert Broccoli was way ahead of Hollywood in that “world is round” thinking.

Yes, you might be right.  But just to be fair, here's a cool little story about First Blood.  Kassar and Vajna sent a 15 minute clip to different countries well before the film was finished or even had a final budget.  Several oversees markets loved the movie so much that they bought (pre-sold) into it even before it was a final product.  So First Blood made something like half it's money back before it was even close to being finished.  

Overseas markets are definitely important. 

27 minutes ago, Eric Safin said:

Wow, that sounds awesome. Way better than the boring, sexist, largely offensive dreck the series has been plagued with for decades, even into the Brosnan and Craig era.

Imagine finding offence in the Craig or Bronson era movies lol. 

Fortunately we don't make Bond movies for pussies Eric

• Knock It Off 4

So...just to clarify, obviously the Brosnan/Craig films aren't that bad here. However, that doesn't mean there aren't weird, problematic elements that take me out of it nor am I not allowed to complain about them.

Skyfall has a moment where Bond discovers Severnine used to be a sex slave, yet still tried to seduce her after the fact, they go on to have sex, and then just gets killed off by the bad guy 10 minutes later. It's all just gross and dumb and bad.

And the Brosnan films all try to position themselves as a more forward-thinking Bond, even getting spelled out at one point by Goldeneye. But despite all the deconstruction, the film still...basically plays out with a lot of the sexist aspects of the character and series.

I understand it's not as bad, I know some people will disagree with what I'm saying, and I know I'm a whiny SJW cuck, but that's just how I feel, and I think I'm able to still call this stuff out while still enjoying/appreciating what these movies do right.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

To be fair, I think a Bronson themed Bond era would be pretty risqué, even for Bond.

It depends on the audience. In the UK people don't talk about being offended by a James bond movie. I can get behind the old Sean Connery movies being problematic by the way he pretty much forced women into bed with him but the Brosnan movies were just him having hamless fun after saving the day. And you'd really have to be nit picking to pick a bone with the Craig Era movies,

4 minutes ago, Eric Safin said:

Skyfall has a moment where Bond discovers Severnine used to be a sex slave, yet still tried to seduce her after the fact, they go on to have sex, and then just gets killed off by the bad guy 10 minutes later. It's all just gross and dumb and bad.

To be fair, not sure that a moral of “don’t try to sleep with people who used to b sex slaves” would be an improvement. No win situation once you’ve chosen to use that backstory in that situation.