Eric Loves Rey

NO TIME TO DIE WEEKEND THREAD | Bond 56M, Venom 32M

10 minutes ago, Rainy said:

Thanks. I do wonder where it will end up at the end of it's run. It's at 32-33 on the highest grossing films of all time in the UK already.

Wouldn't be surprised if it finishes up in the top 20.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Its doing great overseas. Overall its been good I would have thought. As much as you have been dumping on it. Money is money regardless of whoever buys the ticket. Bond is a global franchise.  

great overseas numbers doesn't make the US opening good

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rainy said:

I'm quite confused at the numbers from the UK. I thought I read 70 million dollars, not pounds, which is it?

Sorry that was my error. Some speculation it will be a bit over 52M pounds after estimates go up this weekend and will finish somewhere 80M pounds plus after its run is over (110M US). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it finishes up in the top 20.

Top 20 is Lord of the Rings (FOR) at 63m pounds so its definitely beating that. Top 10 is Harry Potter (GOF) at 73 so maybe a little more than that based on its 2nd weekend hold. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Top 20 is Lord of the Rings (FOR) at 63m pounds so its definitely beating that. Top 10 is Harry Potter (GOF) at 73 so maybe a little more than that based on its 2nd weekend hold. 

That should be DH2, no? Goblet of Fire only grossed £49 million.

As someone who has been at these forums for 20 years, but just recently came back, the members here have always concentrated on domestic numbers first and foremost.  It's a little silly to do so as the world is a very big place.  Without getting into the minutia of how much each country gives back to the studio, films like Bond, especially like Bond, know the money comes from all over the world.  So even though I'm sure they'd like to make more than the 150 mill or so its going to rake in from the US market, they know full well that it plays well in many different regions outside of the US.  And if it really does make 700 mill and become this years top grossing film, I don't really think they are going to be too worried or disappointed that Bond made 75% of it's money outside of the US. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

I like how some people's answers to Bond's US boxoffice woes is to just straight up make it a Marvel Movie.  

Truely a Sympton of Our Times. 

Some of us are more practical considering EON’s history of trend/zeitgeist chasing.

1977: “oh hey kids like space movies? Put Bond in space!”

1 hour ago, baumer said:

As someone who has been at these forums for 20 years, but just recently came back, the members here have always concentrated on domestic numbers first and foremost.  It's a little silly to do so as the world is a very big place.  Without getting into the minutia of how much each country gives back to the studio, films like Bond, especially like Bond, know the money comes from all over the world.  So even though I'm sure they'd like to make more than the 150 mill or so its going to rake in from the US market, they know full well that it plays well in many different regions outside of the US.  And if it really does make 700 mill and become this years top grossing film, I don't really think they are going to be too worried or disappointed that Bond made 75% of it's money outside of the US. 

Albert Broccoli was way ahead of Hollywood in that “world is round” thinking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

To your point, I think that any franchise in Hollywood would do well if they utilized anyone from the Squid Game trio (Lee Jung Jae, Park Hae Soo, Jung Ho Yeon) + the Slapchad (Gong Yoo). They are so iconic now both regionally (all but newcomer Jung Ho Yeon were big stars before SG) and worldwide. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another Korean angle in the next Bond...whenever it is.  I think it's time for Bond to revisit -- and it doesn't have to be the North/antagonistic.  Have him go through Seoul or Busan (maybe even at the film festival there, get meta!) and grab a hot Korean star to support.   It's *the* hot market/crossover in the world, right now... I and certain others have been talking up their films/entertainment for 20 years... but maybe something else will be hotter by the time the next Bond gets rolling...which could be years.   

Edited by Macleod

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Its funny how  in the long run this ageing franchise will still outlive all the cool and hip young people franchise of today..Timeless stuff

Can you give me this week’s lottery numbers now please?

6 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

They need to finally embrace the Bond is a code name theory. Bring Dalton and Brosnan back for the next one to pass the torch to a new Bond. Instant $300 million US.

No

6 hours ago, baumer said:

Yeah the last thing British (or any Bond fan for that matter) wants most is Bond to become Americanised. If we allowed the young American millennials and Gen Zers to have their way with Bond he'd probably lose all his masculinity. We would just be left with a woke/cringe inducing Bond, or even a Jane Bond, we don't want this

Either that or they'd milk it for all it's worth with spinoffs every year to the point of killing it 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1