Eric the Fall Guy

No Hard Feelings | Sony | June 23, 2023 | The return of J-Law and R-rated comedies!

1 hour ago, MotionPictured said:

You obviously do not like Jennifer Lawrence and seem to think insulting her means Margot Robbie might sleep with you one day.

Yes, I'm sure a man with the username Barbie wants to sleep with Margot, anyway im done here. jlaw stans enjoy this cinematic great's box office run

Edited by Barbie

Tracking thread puts this movie with an opening around 15-19M. That's solid for the genre. Possibly better than Ticket to Paradise opening, best postpandemic comedy run until now.

And this opening is just possible thanks to JLaw stardom. How many actresses can succesfully headline a raunchy comedy in these times?

• Thanks 2

I will say that JLaw doesn't have any rewatchable movies. Who's gonna sit there and rewatch The Hunger Games? Silver Linings Playbook aged like fish. Unwatchable now. Joy? American Hustle (yuck)? Red Sparrow? Mother is trash, I know some people on Film Twitter pretend to like it to seem like they "got" something the rest of the world didn't but lbr. 

Compare that with Emma Stone for example. 

Laura Benanti and Matthew Broderick:

Benanti agrees what the parents are asking is “insane,” but she and others associated with the film explain that it’s precisely this extreme helicopter parenting that the movie is satirizing with her and Broderick’s characters.

“It’s a cautionary tale,” she told The Hollywood Reporter at Tuesday’s premiere. “If you are a helicopter parent who puts your child in such a bubble, they do not know how to exist outside of that bubble, you are going to make the exact opposite and insane choice, which is what they are doing here. I feel like it is a very satirical look at what can happen if you do not give your children a longer leash to figure things out for themselves. Otherwise, you’re going to end up curating their life forever.”

Broderick added, “I guess what happens is when a kid goes off to school, it’s so frightening that they’ll be happy and they’ll make friends and they’ll take care of themselves that some parents go to any length to make that transition work. And it’s a hard time. I’ve been through it. But you really have to let them make it on their own. But these parents decide to mess with nature.”

Gene Stupnitsky:

And he assured that those who’d seen the movie wouldn’t think they’d just seen something creepy.

“If you feel that way when you come out of the movie, I would be surprised,” he told THR on the red carpet at the New York screening. “We took great pains to be careful about the ick factor because it could go that way. … We took a humanist approach and I think that’s all you can ask for.”

• Like 1

I saw this yesterday at an early showing (2 pm). Theater was 25%-30% full, which is decent for an early show.

I quite enjoyed it. While it doesn't rank among the top of it's genre it was definitely above average.

I was a bit surprised by "that" scene, not that it was there, but that it wasn't just a quick flash and instead a fairly lengthy scene.

I'm still a bit surprised a movie like this even got made in the current environment, while in the past they were fairly common. After it ended I was thinking it share a number of similarities to Can't Buy Me Love (1987).

Maybe a bit generous, but I'd give it a 7/10

• Like 4

It was pretty good even if most of the big laughs (except THAT scene) were actually in the trailer. The rest of it was also decent and more romantic than raunchy. Only thing I didn't love was how much they were trying to get ahead of the dreaded discourse towards the end

Spoiler

The cum scene where they end up being really nasty to each other was actually great but after that the movie drops any sexual tension there was between and keeps underlining in every scene how this blossomed into a platonic BFF connection thing really almost immediately.

Ofc I didn't expect them to end up together, but they could have hooked up for real either as fling until they both move or even as one-night-stand just to see how it feels. It just seems silly to me, he's 19 years old and she's 30.  

Jlaw was absolutely great though and looked like she was having a blast. I'm enjoying her career post-pandemic, she seems to be doing movies she really wants. Just a few years ago she looked bored out of her mind in those last few X-Men sequels.

This film is a good example of how studios should treat these films now.

1. Theatrical run (making $87m)

2. Digital release (where it’s been top 10 every week since)

3. then streaming (this goes to Netflix next week).

The important part is the theatrical release, as it boosts the other two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

This film is a good example of how studios should treat these films now.

1. Theatrical run (making $87m)

2. Digital release (where it’s been top 10 every week since)

3. then streaming (this goes to Netflix next week).

The important part is the theatrical release, as it boosts the other two. 

No holds bar R Rated comedies are rare these days and actually have a huge market and stay popular for years. 

Edited by Torontofan