Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont think the 1st movie is the ideal comp for it was a hybrid release. This one will explode once reviews are out for sure. Plus the market place would be dead at that time. Madame Web would bomb and Marley will collapse after a good OD. Its as good a release date as any big movie has had in recent times. 

I think we have to go back to Dr Strange 2 for another movie set up to just have perfect release circumstances (as long as it doesn't snow)...

15 hours ago, von Kenni said:

Is there any solid info on the budget?

Quick googling gives that $122m which makes sense a bit to be smaller than the Part One $165m reflecting the overall financial success of Part One, I.e. from studio perspective and that legendary didn't get such an upside in China as they expected.

Also, the VFX libraries and some of the props and sets are already established plus the actors aren't demanding so much for this as there likely market value. The deal isn't as good as Tom Cruise asking $30m for Iron Man 1 and RDJ doing it for $2.5m but still.

And as said here, Villeneuve has been effective with his budgets (the last Thor director being at the other end of the spectrum).

All that said, $122m sounds still low. With $150m maybe and $165m for sure.

Any bona-fide sources for this?

Why would it cost a lot less or as much as first Dune with higher paychecks, bigger star cast, more action and bigger scale? It makes no sense, sequels always cost more, unless it's direct-to-vod one or drastically scaled back sequel which it isn't.

Edited by Firepower

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Why would it cost a lot less or as much as first Dune with higher paychecks, bigger star cast, more action and bigger scale? It makes no sense, sequels always cost more, unless it's direct-to-vod one or drastically scaled back sequel which it isn't.

I don't believe that it cost anything near 120m, but the fact that they can reuse assets, and don't have to spend as much money making new designs, should make the filmmaking process more efficient.

WB's DUNE: PART TWO will have an exclusive IMAX fan first premiere on February 25th.

Participating IMAX 70mm Film Theatres:

UNITED STATES

Harkins Arizona Mills 25 & IMAX - Tempe, AZ 

AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX - San Francisco, CA 

Regal Edwards Irvine Spectrum & IMAX - Irvine, CA

TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX - Hollywood, CA

Universal Cinema AMC at CityWalk Hollywood & IMAX - Universal City, CA

IMAX, Indiana State Museum - Indianapolis, IN

AMC Lincoln Square 13 & IMAX - New York, NY

Regal UA King of Prussia & IMAX - King of Prussia, PA  

Regal Opry Mills & IMAX - Nashville, TN

CANADA

Cineplex Cinemas Vaughan & IMAX - Ontario, Canada

UNITED KINGDOM

BFI IMAX, British Film Institute - London, UK (Tickets On Sale Soon)

AUSTRALIA

IMAX, Melbourne Museum - Melbourne, Australia (Tickets on Sale 8 February)

At this point 550M for Dune is the floor. Final gross near 700M is likely. Anyone predicting less than 600M is a fool at this point, stop trying to force that dune will underperform, it wont work.

On 1/28/2024 at 5:17 PM, von Kenni said:

Is there any solid info on the budget?

I'm not sure but

Pre-shooting had commenced on July 4, 2022 at the Brion tomb in Altivole, Italy for two days.[38] Principal photography was set to begin on July 21 in Budapest, Hungary,[38] but began earlier on July 18.[2][39] The film was entirely shot using digital IMAX certified cameras, with new filming locations and sets being used "to avoid repetition."[40] By October 2022, Chalamet had taken a break from filming in order to attend the premiere of Bones and All (2022).[41] In November 2022, production moved to Abu Dhabi, UAE, with Pugh finishing her scenes later that month.[42][43] Filming wrapped on December 12, 2022.[44]

If I had more time today I might be able to retrace my steps but if you go onto the hungarian language version of their government's cultural ministry(?) website (basically I could find this on an hungarian language site but not the separate one they made that was similar but in english) you'll see a selection of big films/tv shows recently filmed in hungary (including Dune 1 and Moon Knight) with budget numbers. I imagine Dune 2 would be on there by now. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1