Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

That's like just his opinion, man.

Honestly this is the grace I advocate giving for every critic but I made the unfortunate mistake of checking out some of White's reviews and... obvious troll is obvious. He sure as heck doesn't believe what he's writing.

41 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I 100% believe this is, at the very least, a well-made film because I haven't seen a bad Denis Villeneuve film, but what examples of critics being out of their minds are you thinking of?

Latest one would be True Detective: Night Country which I tapped out halfway through.

I have no doubt this will at the very least be a well made movie because Denis Villnueve is a real filmmaker with a voice and not some corporate checklist hack, but will it be truly great like a lot of the Dunebros pretend Part 1 is?  I hope so.

• Like 2

Armond White's contrarianism was a fun read maybe 15-20 years ago but nowadays he just does the same "WOKE MIND VIRUS" routine as 7 million other wannabe cultural commentators. you barely hear about his reviews anymore because he's just another one in that crowd.

• Like 10

Crossed 100 reviews now, still 97%. Please stop obsessing over the tiny minority of critics who didn't like it. It happens every time a well recieved, highly anticipated movie gets reviewed. It does no-one any good, except maybe the critics who dislike the movies, who get an absolutely outsized amount of attention.

Edited by Last Man Standing
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

I'm again just staggered by how un-nuanced RT's system is. No room for mixed reviews, everything's binary, and how their score is calculated I can't say. On the other hand...they are certified fresh, and won't there be lots of wonderful pull quotes for ads, so, good for maybe moving some fence sitters off it and into theater seats. 

This is why I include the average rating in my screenshots. That's the nuance and the real desert power here.

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Latest one would be True Detective: Night Country which I tapped out halfway through.

I have no doubt this will at the very least be a well made movie because Denis Villnueve is a real filmmaker with a voice and not some corporate checklist hack, but will it be truly great like a lot of the Dunebros pretend Part 1 is?  I hope so.

I mean, most of the critics that didn't like Part 1 won't be the same critics from major outlets reviewing Part 2 on the day embargo drops. Or maybe I'm wrong.

I would love to see what each critic who reviewed Part 2 for today's embargo drop said about Part 1.

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Crossed 100 reviews now, still 97%. Please stop obsessing over the tiny minority of critics who didn't like it. It happens every time a well recieved, highly anticipated movie gets reviewed. It does no-one any good, except maybe the critics who dislike the movies, who get an absolutely outsized amount of attention.

Yeah not trying to jinx it but 100/3 ratio goes against dropping below 90% with more reviews.

So I went back to Dune Part 1 to take a look at how many of the critics who gave the film a "Rotten" review during the first few days of embargo dropping are part of today's batch of Dune Part 2 reviews. There are only two: David Ehrlich and Edward Douglas. The former, as we know, gave the film a "Rotten" score yet again. The latter, Douglas, gave the film an "A," although the only reason he gave the first film a bad review was because it was, and I quote "half a good movie, but that’s only because it really is only half a movie."

That's why I'm excited, but I'm taking these reviews with a giant grain of "Warner Brothers knew which critics to ignore for Part 2" salt.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

Obviously we are VERY early in the awards calendar for 2024, but it's a pretty desolate year in terms of contenders. This will absolutely dominate technical/artistic categories and should be a pretty strong contender for nominations in Picture/Director. Villeneuve is already starting to build an 'overdue' narrative. I wonder if either Walken or Butler could sneak into Supporting Actor too - Butler seems to be getting singled out a lot in the reviews.

I'm still not sure if this can break through a $200m ceiling in the US - a lot of reviews are mentioning how bizarre and bleak the film is. This does feel primed for some absolutely gargantuan numbers in Europe - maybe I'm drinking the kool aid but $50m here in UK doesn't feel like a stretch. Zendaya's vintage Mugler/C3PO shenanigans have more or less directly caused three work colleagues (all women) to check out Part One on Netflix.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

So I went back to Dune Part 1 to take a look at how many of the critics who gave the film a "Rotten" review during the first few days of embargo dropping are part of today's batch of Dune Part 2 reviews. There are only two: David Ehrlich and Edward Douglas. The former, as we know, gave the film a "Rotten" score yet again. The latter, Douglas, gave the film an "A," although the only reason he gave the first film a bad review was because it was, and I quote "half a good movie, but that’s only because it really is only half a movie."

That's why I'm excited, but I'm taking these reviews with a giant grain of "Warner Brothers knew which critics to ignore for Part 2" salt.

A lot of sites will not commission the same reviewer to review Dune 2 as the one who reviewed Dune 1. For example, Slant gave Dune 1 a negative review but Dune 2 a rave with a different critic. THR also gave both movies negative reviews (but again different critics).

Edit: Variety is the same case as Slant

Edited by lorddemaxus

Checking Part 1 RT. After 27 reviews it had 85% and after 31 83% which was the ultimate number after 400+ reviews. Maybe at the top the drop can be bigger but can we in any case expect this to end between 93-95%?

• Like 1