Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

I don't know if I am experiencing some big East-West disparity but I seriously don't feel much real-life buzz in where I am staying. JW4 last year had bigger real-life buzz around than Dune 2. I haven't feel something this different between online and real-life since SW7. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You keep saying this like people are expecting this. Only you are!!

Months ago, yes it wasn't as common. When reviews/presales really began to heat up there was speculation it could outperform substantially above expectations (which I would argue it still is, overall). Especially with the speculation as to exactly how much COVID suppressed the original (which now appears to be maybe at most 100 mil shaved off)

1 hour ago, Dragoncaine said:

Sound, Visual Effects, Production Design, and Original Score are already fully sewn up for next year's Oscars, by the way, and that's the very least I feel it could haul. Likely Film Editing too, especially if Part One won the same award.

Probably not likely they award it the same awards the last one did. Except for VFX. Pretty much what happened to The Two Towers and Avatar 2.

I liked the first Dune but didn't quite love it because of emotional inertness. Anyone who had the same feeling on Dune 1 see this last night? Seems like alot of big time Dune Heads giving reviews here, which is totally fine to be, but they also told me I should be cuming my pants over Part One too.

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I liked the first Dune but didn't quite love it because of emotional inertness. Anyone who had the same feeling on Dune 1 see this last night? Seems like alot of big time Dune Heads giving reviews here, which is totally fine to be, but they also told me I should be cuming my pants over Part One too.

I was like a 7/10 on part one, liked it, but didn't get the extreme praise.

This movie is ALIVE in ways that Dune part one was not. There is so much more depth and volume and scheming. I would say in the first movie, you're visiting Dune. In this movie, bring a stillsuit, because you're ON DUNE.

My wife kept looking over at me thinking I was asleep during the movie last night, because I was perfectly still with my mouth open the whole time. I was in a Villeneuve state of trance.

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

50 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think there is more emotional payoff here but I wouldn't say it's transformative. The important thing is that most characters are not being set up solely for a future arc, there is a genuine arc that our leads are going through with a promised payoff, and with it, emotional moments that result of that. Chani/Zendaya especially drive this. I still think there is a sterile-ness to it overall and I don't know, lack of a fully human touch that prevents it from being this 'all time great' that some declared, but it is a fair improvement.

I think this is why I don't consider it leagues over the first, fundamentally I think the two movies could stand to be a little weirder and a little less overly serious. Don't get me wrong, there is more humor in this film but the seriousness of its characters and tone feels oppressive in both films still. I guess it was never reasonable to expect they'd change much gears, but it's also why I can't consider one hugely better than the other.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

29 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Chalamet is getting oustanding reactions, especially for the last hour of the movie.

This could help him next year to get the nominee..for the Bob Dylan biopic🤣

And people said we don't have movie stars anymore. He delivered two big movies in less than a year. Oscar nom and box office success. What more do people want?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Months ago, yes it wasn't as common. When reviews/presales really began to heat up there was speculation it could outperform substantially above expectations (which I would argue it still is, overall). Especially with the speculation as to exactly how much COVID suppressed the original (which now appears to be maybe at most 100 mil shaved off)

About Dune Par 1 "missed" BO due to abnormal circumstances, $100m being shaved off is a fair assessment. At the time I did estimates on that for most of the WW markets and my conclusions were something like (might have exacts buried in my old laptop somewhere):

Instead of $400m WW,

$500m almost certainly (+25% BO and 90% probability)

Between $500-550 highly likely (80% probability)

And around $550 (+37.5%) we turn from likely to unlikely territory (probability 40% or under).

$600m (+50%) or above is highly unlikely (20% chance or less) if not close to almost certainly not (5% chance or less)

This abnormal factors included things such as simultaneous release in the US on HBO. However, we often overestimate its effect, meaning that only a fraction of the viewers on HBO would have gone to the theater in the first place. Covid still supressed the market even in the US but especially in Europe and in some other markets where at least 25% of BO was left on the table. There was even a new stream of covid raging in the middle of release. Also HD pirate version of Dune was leaked prior to the US theatrical release. Dune was also opened in Europe month earlier than in the US.

There are obvious differences for Part 2 now in addition to these factors. It is a known entity now, competition is easier now (NTTD was a special Bond and was there Eternals arriving later too), and clearly their is a meaningful jump reception wise that has a potential to lift it high.

So if Dune Part 1 could have done $550m this has potential for $700m or even much more for sure but we will see how it reaches its potential.

Like before, anything over $600m is gravy for me and I will be happy for less too. This will propel Villeneuve not just for Dune Messiah but Rama and all the other amazing movies that he can deliver in the future.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the first film very much but understood its limitations as far as general audiences jumping on board with it. I'm sure anyone who made Part One would tell you they prioritized mood over obviously propulsive storytelling beats. However, this could just be the religious transport of seeing the new one in a real IMAX theater with a thousand Dune-heads, but I think Part Two is about to break out beyond the diehards and become a "this is a must-see" word of mouth experience. It has that OPPENHEIMER-esque ineffable quality to it. Just feels so worthy of the theatrical experience. And to my surprise it doesn't feel like you'd be lost if you missed the first movie either... the first act of Part Two is kind of brilliant at establishing emotional stakes that weren't in Part One at all. I also think (or at least hope) Zendaya's performance alone in this is gonna get younger viewers talking. It almost feels in a meta way like a corrective to the marketing for the first movie overstating her screentime. She's all over this film and it's my favorite performance she's given to date. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

You keep saying this like people are expecting this. Only you are!!

You have an axe to grind for this movie while I stan so we won't agree. But IMO 700M is not unrealistic given that the first one made 400M during pandemic and with hybrid domestic release. I expect similar boxoffice to Spiderverse with reverse dom/OS (Dune will be stronger OS while Spiderverse was stronger dom). So 700M give or take. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

You have an axe to grind for this movie while I stan so we won't agree. But IMO 700M is not unrealistic given that the first one made 400M during pandemic and with hybrid domestic release. I expect similar boxoffice to Spiderverse with reverse dom/OS (Dune will be stronger OS while Spiderverse was stronger dom). So 700M give or take. 

If youve seen the way I talk about the movie elsewhere, I dont (in fact my boxoffice prediction if higher than yours). I'm only disagreeing with your awards predictions for this.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's more emotionally involved than one for sure, and the sheer added spectacle makes up for a lot but Dune inherently carries a far more alien, cold mood to it. This one has a central romance anchoring it but personally, it left me cold cold cold so I didn't get much out of it but others seem to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

If youve seen the way I talk about the movie elsewhere, I dont (in fact my boxoffice prediction if higher than yours). I'm only disagreeing with your awards predictions for this.

I don't want to jinx it so I'm cautiously predicting 700M but will be thrilled when it goes higher. My awards prediction is part of my manifesting exercise. :lol: