titanic2187

Ghostbusters 2021 weekend Nov 19-21: Afterlife $44M OW | E: $10.8m | RD: $8.1m

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've always said that Gucci and West Side Story are the barometer for adults coming back to theaters at all, but at this point I don't see either above 50.

Gucci seems to be getting a mixed/negative critical reception which will affect box office. This may be due in part to the fact that actress-worshipping critics (who are very vocal on Twitter) have selected Spencer as their movie to support this year. Last year it was Promising Young Woman. They seem to relate more to movies where women are victimized. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

FWIW, I do think adult-oriented dramas or awards hopefuls will still exist. Regardless of their capitalist piggery, studios like throwing in more prestigious titles that they can sell to streamers or place onto their own services to get some accolades and attention.

The only real difference is that they will likely just be day-and-date hybrid releases. They're starting to dwindle now, but I doubt they're going away just yet. I know that will still sting for some of us traditionalists, but it's better than nothing, and you can still catch them at your local multiplex.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Gucci seems to be getting a mixed/negative critical reception which will affect box office. This may be due in part to the fact that actress-worshipping critics (who are very vocal on Twitter) have selected Spencer as their movie to support this year. Last year it was Promising Young Woman. They seem to relate more to movies where women are victimized. 

As someone who watched it...it's getting mixed reviews because it's just not that good.

• Thanks 2

So, I saw Ghostbusters...and it's readily apparent, this movie should have been the 2016 movie, and then all the other movie concepts for the franchise could have followed on from this one.  It is the perfect sequel to move on from...

As for what I think - it's another B- movie - I seem to be seeing many of them in that range lately:).  Again, the spouse (B+) and boys (A and B+) liked it more than me, as did my girls (B+ and B).  

It's at its best when it is 100% in love letter mode to Harold Ramis - when it just says, 'yes, we wrote this a week after he died b/c we wanted to pay tribute to how awesome that actor and that character was"...maybe that's not what happened, but it sure feels like it's the movie they wish they had made with him...

As for what it is, this reminded me both of Star Wars 7 and Pixar movies - it both wants to be a soft reboot working the nostalgia angle, even though it's a sequel - and it wants to work on 2 levels - one for those who grew up with Ghostbusters and those who know nothing about it.  For the most part, that does work, although if I was editing, I'd have chopped 15-20 minutes from the movie (Hi Venom 2 for knowing exactly how long a movie should be) and I'd have decided what I fully wanted to be in scope and tone b/c this may have worked even better at a smaller budget in a smaller scope or a bigger budget in a bigger scope, but what's there just doesn't quite hit the home run...for me...see my family's grades.

The 2nd half is far superior than the 1st half (after the opening sequence, which I did like)...

Overall, I'm happy to have seen the movie.  One thing my spouse said - he was happy he found it interesting and not obvious - which I know is weird to say when I said it has a Star Wars 7 feel - but it does manage to engage and not be "okay this will happen, and then this will happen - yes, I've seen this already"...

Thanks TMobile for the deal and I'm off from movies til Xmas unless they send me another killer deal (we have a Cinemark subscription arriving for "the boys" for Christmas, so I figure I have to save a movie or two for January after Spidey:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I saw Ghostbusters...and it's readily apparent, this movie should have been the 2016 movie, and then all the other movie concepts for the franchise could have followed on from this one.  It is the perfect sequel to move on from...

As for what I think - it's another B- movie - I seem to be seeing many of them in that range lately:).  Again, the spouse (B+) and boys (A and B+) liked it more than me, as did my girls (B+ and B).  

It's at its best when it is 100% in love letter mode to Harold Ramis - when it just says, 'yes, we wrote this a week after he died b/c we wanted to pay tribute to how awesome that actor and that character was"...maybe that's not what happened, but it sure feels like it's the movie they wish they had made with him...

As for what it is, this reminded me both of Star Wars 7 and Pixar movies - it both wants to be a soft reboot working the nostalgia angle, even though it's a sequel - and it wants to work on 2 levels - one for those who grew up with Ghostbusters and those who know nothing about it.  For the most part, that does work, although if I was editing, I'd have chopped 15-20 minutes from the movie (Hi Venom 2 for knowing exactly how long a movie should be) and I'd have decided what I fully wanted to be in scope and tone b/c this may have worked even better at a smaller budget in a smaller scope or a bigger budget in a bigger scope, but what's there just doesn't quite hit the home run...for me...see my family's grades.

The 2nd half is far superior than the 1st half (after the opening sequence, which I did like)...

Overall, I'm happy to have seen the movie.  One thing my spouse said - he was happy he found it interesting and not obvious - which I know is weird to say when I said it has a Star Wars 7 feel - but it does manage to engage and not be "okay this will happen, and then this will happen - yes, I've seen this already"...

Thanks TMobile for the deal and I'm off from movies til Xmas unless they send me another killer deal (we have a Cinemark subscription arriving for "the boys" for Christmas, so I figure I have to save a movie or two for January after Spidey:)...

Thanks for sharing your thoughtful review of the experience and how your family took it.

I can't wait to see it in about three weeks but for now, I'll roll the tape with Ghostbusters 2 (watched the OG last weekend) and let the member berries flow...

season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

• Like 3

On the arthouse scene, A24’s “C’mon C’mon” is kicking off its limited run this weekend. The Mike Mills-directed drama is projected to earn $125,000 from locations in New York and Los Angeles. The film stars Joaquin Phoenix in his first feature film role since his Oscar-winning turn in 2019’s “Joker.” A24 expects word-of-mouth to carry the film’s momentum, as the distributor has plotted a modest expansion to 100-some locations over the Thanksgiving holiday. Another expansion will follow after.

Variety 

• Like 2

Deadline chart - one big thing of note for those "late leg" movies - Venom is predicted to jump NTTD this weekend...Venom has had some killer weeks since Eternals opened...which may not have been expected pre-Eternals open...

Top 11 chart for the weekend of Nov. 19-21, 2021

1.) Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Sony) 4,315 theaters, Fri $16.5M, 3-day: $40.5M/Wk 1

2.) Eternals (Dis) 4,055 theaters (-35), Fri $3.07M (-61%), 3-day $10.8M (-60%), Total $135.8M/Wk 3

3.) Clifford the Big Red Dog (Par) 3,628 (-72) theaters, Fri $2M (-53%), 3-day $8M (52%), Total $33.5M/Wk 2

4.) King Richard (WB) 3,302 theaters, Fri $1.9M, 3-day $6.5M/Wk 1

5.) Dune (WB/Leg) 2,467 (-815) theaters, Fri $885K (-46%), 3-day $3M (-45%) Total $98.2M/Wk 5

6.) Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Sony) 2,230 (-308) theaters, Fri $725K (-30%), 3-day $2.65M (-32%), Total $206.3M/Wk 8

Spencer
Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana in ‘Spencer’Pablo Larrain/Neon/Courtesy Everett Collection

7.) No Time to Die (UAR) 2,407 (-460) theaters, Fri $791K (-43%), 3-day $2.6M (-42%), Total $154.6M/Wk 7

8.) The French Dispatch (Sea) 805 (-420) theaters, Fri $294K (-46%), 3-day $992K (-44%), Total $13.3M/Wk 5

9.) Ron’s Gone Wrong (20th/Dis) 1,520 (-910) Fri $210K (-62%), 3-day $861K (-61%), Total $22M/Wk 5

10.) Belfast (Foc) 584 (+2) theaters, Fri $270K (-58%), 3-day $830K (-53%), Total $3.3M/Wk 2

11.) Spencer (NEON) Fri $228K (-53%), 3-day $678K (-55%), Total $6.1M/Wk 3

• Thanks 3

Just got out of Ghostbusters. The kids loved it. 

5/5 out of 10/10 would recommend cause ITS TWO HOURS. LIKE. ITS THE PROPER LENGTH OF A FILM. 

Not all of this worked for me, but ultimately I came down on the side of McKenna Grace is the voice of her generation and I really hope that kid doesn’t spiral out in some cliché child actor tragedy. I hope, like Natalie Portman, she works another 20 years. She is the soul of this movie. She’s the best part of this movie.

And for all the talk about nostalgia, I think this works mostly because it just feels like a film that a son made about his dad as a tribute to his dad. And I can respect that. It might not be my favorite jam, but it’s definitely tasty.

Also, Chris Evans losing sexiest man alive to Paul Rudd because Paul Rudd was promoting this movie is complete bullshit. Not worth it. You might’ve promoted Ghostbusters, People, but what did you actually do?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Cap said:

Also, Chris Evans losing sexiest man alive to Paul Rudd because Paul Rudd was promoting this movie is complete bullshit. Not worth it. You might’ve promoted Ghostbusters, People, but what did you actually do?

Sexiest Man Live and World's Most Beautiful is as outdated as People Magazine itself. 

• Like 1

One thing my teens girls commented on that I agreed - the settings used in Ghostbusters Afterlife are really perfectly picked for what they wanted in the movie...it keeps you in the movie, even when the pacing might be leaving you starting to drift.  Whoever was in charge of the location selections (and the sets in those locations and/or green screens) should get a kudos for their choices...

I saw King Richard, I really liked it but hoped I'd love it. Could've been shorter, with a tighter last act. I just look at the UK box office and wonder if we'll ever get there again over here.

-

Now that you don't need to buy magazines to see photos of celebrities, Sexiest Man Alive is just a promotional tool. People Magazine's not going to pick someone who doesn't agree to go along with the campaign, and a celeb who doesn't have anything to promote in November/December is probably not going to bother, unless he wants the adulation that bad. Even if Blake Shelton laughed off the backlash, it had to hurt his ego a little when the general public reaction to him as Sexiest Man Alive was, "...did all the men die?" At least that made People be a bit more diverse in their picks for the next few years. But it's really not that serious.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Sexiest Man Live and World's Most Beautiful is as outdated as People Magazine itself. 

Henry Cavill would win sexiest man alive every year if that were the case, brad Pitts 10 year run ended, which was after denzel Washington won every year.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Bad numbers for holdovers.

Meh for Ghostbusters, but acceptable. A- on Cinemascore is not that good tho, should be an A, curious about the legs.

A- and above is perfectly fine for any franchise IP , that is what the last 2 Jumanji films got. Even if they wanted to fix some stuff with reshoots they couldn't due to aging of kids.