titanic2187

Ghostbusters 2021 weekend Nov 19-21: Afterlife $44M OW | E: $10.8m | RD: $8.1m

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

agree to an extent. 
It’s still my firm belief that if people want to see the movies and their only option is to actually leave the house - well, they’ll come out. 

people underestimate the size of audiences that go to see prestige films and be part of the conversation. Just because it’s not blockbuster sized numbers, that doesn’t mean it’s not a significant crowd. 

I don’t believe they’ll all of a sudden just not see those movies because they’re not on tv day one.  

The hit they’ve taken is not so dramatic that we’re talking tens of millions of people either.  I’d wager the chunk of willing ticket buyers who would have shown up this weekend for KR would have made it a decent opening with room to grow. 

I've been saying for months the same thing! As long as it IS an option, people will never go back to normal. Studios are going to have to take some Ls in the next few months and lose some money to "cue" people that movies are truly back to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Actually, from what i've heard it's using the nostalgia at the maximum. The first 13 minuted that already screened are exactly the same as the first movie. Then we have, playing sports on the beach, singing in the bar....etc. Critics hate this type of nostalgia these days (just look how they destroyed G:A). Movie will be torn to shreds by critics. I don't know how the audience will react tho..

I've seen several pretty well respected critics talk about how excited for the movie and how good they heard it was. Only the Brave showed that dude knows how to direct the shit out of some action scenes at least.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've seen several pretty well respected critics talk about how excited for the movie and how good they heard it was. Only the Brave showed that dude knows how to direct the shit out of some action scenes at least.

Tron Legacy dude, surely?

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$16M overseas for Ghostbusters seems rather rough, no? Especially when that's probably most of the markets it will be opening in. International audiences just aren't ever going to be there for this property, I guess.

It's like Star Trek to an extent. The fans are Superfans but there's not enough of them OS.

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've been saying for months the same thing! As long as it IS an option, people will never go back to normal. Studios are going to have to take some Ls in the next few months and lose some money to "cue" people that movies are truly back to stay.

There is a significant audience that see all the Oscar contenders, for example. Now individually those movies might only do $10-50 million each, but they have devoted film fans that go to see them. 

If they’re on at home (and seeing them all is like a part-time job as there are so many of them to keep on top of) then it’s no wonder they’re not showing up at usual levels at the moment. It is insane that this rhetoric of people not wanting to go to the movies has so much traction. No…they’re watching the movies at home because you’re giving them away!  This ‘minority’ are the most dedicated around. 

This particular audience likes them to be special too, as in exclusive for them to seek out and talk about in their circles. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$16M overseas for Ghostbusters seems rather rough, no? Especially when that's probably most of the markets it will be opening in. International audiences just aren't ever going to be there for this property, I guess.

Ghostbusters has always had very low international appeal - practically non-existent in countries around the world where English isn't the main language. 

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Actually seems like OKAY start, better than last one. UK may be able to do $20M. 

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Europe is going into lockdown so anything opening in the next few months will face major restrictions here. Not much to evaluate from here.

I really hope Europe isn't going into lockdown. That is beyond absurd and just flat out destructive - COVID is here to fucking stay but most people have been vaccinated so people need to start living their goddamn lives especially since it overwhelmingly kills the older. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but the economic, political, and mental devastation COVID has caused in its wake was way too overblown. 

/endrant

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The fact that everything Oscar-y pretty much became a day-and-date title last year (the few weeks that Promising Young Woman was in theaters only before PVOD was its "platform release before wide expansion" of sorts, as an example) has definitely hit the specialty market the most since almost everything that would normally open in 4-5 theaters in NY/LA has been a wide release so far this season. Doesn't help that some of the chief locations that were the places to see said specialty titles like the ArcLight Hollywood went under due to the pandemic.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I really hope Europe isn't going into lockdown. That is beyond absurd and just flat out destructive - COVID is here to fucking stay but most people have been vaccinated so people need to start living their goddamn lives especially since it overwhelmingly kills the older. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but the economic, political, and mental devastation COVID has caused in its wake was way too overblown. 

/endrant

it won’t be. Just could have restrictions put in place in some countries that might require vaccination proof to get in.  Might cause a bit of a hit, but it’s not shutting down cinemas (or any business for that matter). 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1