titanic2187

Ghostbusters 2021 weekend Nov 19-21: Afterlife $44M OW | E: $10.8m | RD: $8.1m

15 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

How is Dune seen as a success with a 40m opening and a 165m budget and a bajillion stars, but Ghostbusters is a disappointment with a 40m opening and a 75m budget and no real stars? Dune’s HBO Max numbers couldn’t have even been that great considering we didn’t get a fawning press release about it

People have been really forgiving of Dune because they NEED it to be seen as a huge success which is funny to me. It's already got a sequel (which will hopefully be more deserving of this energy) greenlighted it's fine. It's still yet another big budget IP-milking remake so why act like it's some underdog indie flick. I wish people were this gung ho about actual mid-budget smaller scale movies they say they need to stay in theatres. 

Edited by thedast
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

Watched King Richard, the acting by literally everyone is top notch. Unless Will Smith ends up having crazy allegations and stuff come out against him, this Oscar race is done.

While I didn’t think the film wasn’t great, Andrew Garfield is fantastic in Tick Tick Boom. Could be some competition there. 

15 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

How is Dune seen as a success with a 40m opening and a 165m budget and a bajillion stars, but Ghostbusters is a disappointment with a 40m opening and a 75m budget and no real stars? Dune’s HBO Max numbers couldn’t have even been that great considering we didn’t get a fawning press release about it

paul rudd GIF

GIF by truTV’s The Chris Gethard Show

Parks And Recreation Feelings GIF by PeacockTV

Recently crowned Sexiest Man Alive Paul Rudd is feeling deeply hurt right now.

:P

Peace,

Mike

• Haha 7

Wait what? People thinking GB:A is disappointment?

I guess may be GB WAS big brand in US but after first trailer dropped I thought its gonna bomb bad. But then @EmpireCity started lobbying for it and pre-sales were good, this is a good debut.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6

This seems solid for Ghostbusters given the circumstances and the restrained budget. I could definitely see it legging it out and finishing with a respectable total. The film seems like it is a crowd pleaser.

I’m curious what the international opening and total gross will be (and the ratio to domestic gross). Every Ghostbusters has done worse internationally compared to domestic. It could be the first to not hit $200 million globally - if it can manage to do so with some great domestic legs, that would be a satisfying milestone to hit. I hope it gets there.

Peace,

Mike

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

7 hours ago, Eternal Legion said:

huge Sat bump, 44ish. ~10 IM, roughly as expected    

Eternals low 11s, bit better Sat than I expected

Clifford low 8s

Not sure exactly what to expect for Richard Sun drop. Probably mid 30s, for 5.3ish? Just as expected from fri, normal Sat

Dune 3.1M, bit better sat than I expected 

• Haha 1

Really good Saturday number for G:A, and like I kept screaming from the rooftops way back in August when I saw it, the WOM is going to be great on it.  It will only pick up steam during the week and into next weekend.  

It won't shock me if it is near or above $100m by next Sunday.  It is going to have a ton of space to run up to and possibly even through the holiday.  

Good for Sony.  I am usually down on them, but they without a doubt have been top notch in their marketing and support of theatrical exclusive films during the pandemic.  It is great to see the public rewarding them for it.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Really good Saturday number for G:A, and like I kept screaming from the rooftops way back in August when I saw it, the WOM is going to be great on it.  It will only pick up steam during the week and into next weekend.  

It won't shock me if it is near or above $100m by next Sunday.  It is going to have a ton of space to run up to and possibly even through the holiday.  

Good for Sony.  I am usually down on them, but they without a doubt have been top notch in their marketing and support of theatrical exclusive films during the pandemic.  It is great to see the public rewarding them for it.  

It definitely has the signs to go over $150m DOM (3.4 multiplier) and early data OS shows it's way beating G2016's numbers which got $100m OS. Hard to extrapolate all markets yet but if the new European Covid wave doesn't throw a wrench in the works, I can see it grossing $160-200m overseas (albeit not knowing how well content and marketing localization is done) - $310-360m WW. That would be a spectacular result with a $75m budget (4.1-4.8x)

It serves family demos and many other demos in a way that can give it long legs and it can go even higher but in anyway hard to imagine WW getting under $250m, if it's already doing much better overseas than G2016. That would already be 3.3x the budget with pandemic times that supresses the WW about 25%. A more than great result.

2 hours ago, thedast said:

People have been really forgiving of Dune because they NEED it to be seen as a huge success which is funny to me. It's already got a sequel (which will hopefully be more deserving of this energy) greenlighted it's fine. It's still yet another big budget IP-milking remake so why act like it's some underdog indie flick. I wish people were this gung ho about actual mid-budget smaller scale movies they say they need to stay in theatres. 

Forgiving? What does Dune need forgiveness for? It's making over 2 of its budget while being out on HBO Max, and leaking in HD before release in the biggest markets.

Edited by Last Man Standing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thedast said:

If you missed this, check it out and the couple messages under it, to get a numbers breakdown on why Dune is a great success:

Your "IP-milking" sounds like we shouldn't ever have movies that are adaptations and all remakes are not equal or bad, or we wouldn't ever gotten Jackson's LOTR but stayed with the Bakshi's one.

I think many are passionate about the mid-budget films here too as we can see on this thread, the tracking thread, and threads dedicated to them. Large part why they tend to be overshadowed by the big budget films is just that those are more GA focused by definition than the mid-budget ones so more people here too are interested in them, and also the forum is "the box office theory" so the bigger the box office draw or potential for it, draws more attention from everyone.

• Like 1

Just to keep the expectations reasonable for Ghostbusters, don't forget Encanto (another family opener and hugely drawing the Hispanic audience which was the one non-Caucasian demo that came out for Ghost-A) opens in 5 days, and Sing 2 is doing sneaks next Saturday, so it's not a clear shot for Ghost-A til Spidey...and it will be dropped almost everywhere by Christmas, so it's gonna make what it's gonna make in 4 weeks, and be pretty done.

And what it's gonna make is $100M-Free Guy (which is $121M or so now:), and that will be a very good result, ESPECIALLY b/c the most important thing this movie did for franchise purpose was to make EVERYONE HAPPY who sees it.  There's nothing is this movie to piss you off, make you hate it, even make fun of it.  The franchise itself is healed in the movie and can now have offshoots, sequels, etc.  It is the definition of "feel good", and feel good is what this needed for the next few decades of this franchose's upcoming sequels/spin offs...I may not have loved the movie, but I know no one's walking out hating it...you may feel blah, you may feel bored, but you won't feel disgust...so mission accomplished to get something that can now be the springboard...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Very good number for Ghostbusters if EmpireCity is right. 43 would be very impressive for this movie.

Everyone I know who has seen King Richard has really loved it. And all of them watched it on HBO Max.

yep. And plenty of them would have come out to see it if it wasn’t on there. Nice one WB. Lol. 

• Like 2

The weekend couldn’t have gone much better for Ghostbusters. Audiences seem to be having a great time and the multiplier seems quality. It’s in the best position it could possibly be in going into Thanksgiving. 

and you cannot beat a movie that is flying at thanksgiving. They stick around for the remainder of the year. 

Pivotal week or so coming up for the domestic box office.  I wouldn’t bet against Encanto doing much better than the current forecasts, and Gucci could do very nicely too. 

• Like 1

Can't say I'm surprised that this is looking at a better-than-expected multiplier when there were a lot of families at my showing last night. Will be interesting to see how it holds up with that demo with a new Disney cartoon arriving as the main Thanksgiving attraction.

6 hours ago, thedast said:

Close to $400M WW and same day release on HBO MAX proves the success....  Nobody 'needs'  

On par w/  2021 MCU releases.  

• Like 5