titanic2187

Ghostbusters 2021 weekend Nov 19-21: Afterlife $44M OW | E: $10.8m | RD: $8.1m

Speaking of V2, convincingly dethrones FG for 8th weekend record:  

OW — Venom LTBC 90M

2nd wknd — SC 34.7M

3rd — SC 21.7M

4th — SC 13M

5th — SC 6.1M

6th — FG 5.1M (SC has now dropped below FG’s weekends)

7th — FG 4.1M

8th — V2 2.77M

9th — Croods2 1.8M

10th — Croods2 1.8M

11th — Croods2 1.7M

12th — Croods 2 2.1M

13th — Croods 2 1.7M  

9th should be easy with holiday. 10th no chance, only an amazingly received NWH can hope to challenge the powah of the Grug Moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A lot of people have more time for a 157 minute movie on a Sunday afternoon or evening than they do on a Friday. Not surprised.

It’s oddly good compared to last Sun so I am not exactly convinced by any explanation that applies equally as well there 😛   

Not that I expect to be convinced by any explanation per se — sometimes things are just a little high or low for essentially inscrutable stochastic reasons.

12 hours ago, Noctis said:

I really hope Europe isn't going into lockdown. That is beyond absurd and just flat out destructive - COVID is here to fucking stay but most people have been vaccinated so people need to start living their goddamn lives especially since it overwhelmingly kills the older. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but the economic, political, and mental devastation COVID has caused in its wake was way too overblown. 

/endrant

Unfortunately, the economic repercussions of the pandemic will be with us for a long time to come, especially if the lockdowns continue.

1 hour ago, Eternal Legion said:

It’s oddly good compared to last Sun so I am not exactly convinced by any explanation that applies equally as well there 😛   

Not that I expect to be convinced by any explanation per se — sometimes things are just a little high or low for essentially inscrutable stochastic reasons.

Nothing odd. Normal 30-33% drop before Thanksgiving Sunday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Noctis said:

There are always outliers but Ghostbusters has had literally very little impact worldwide to people below 40. Are there fans under 40? Obviously, and I'm sure in country, but they're a little. It may be iconic in Denmark to 40+ but anyway...

I think it's iconic in all Nordics. Sure the demos are older and it's okay when it draws in their families and having enough of that 18-29yr old demo partly via Stranger Things vibe. Anecdotally my 30 yr old latino friend knows Ghosbusters from the animated series that he liked. He saw it dubbed as a kid and didn't even know that it's English speaking originally. Nevertheless he's going to see GA. I don't know if there's something to partly explain the over represented latino demo for GA?

It's not a huge global brand but I wouldn't underestimate it's tentacles with all the crossovers, popular culture references, and spin-offs like the animated series and the games. The challenge is how marketing triggers that potential for OW which also needs to be big enough that there's enough WOM to activate the rest and hence give great legs. If the movie would suck, this would be useless but that seems to fit the bill now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

All this Ghostbusters chat means I didn’t even realise Eternals fell another 60%. Maybe it’ll stabilise next weekend but I can’t see it reaching Black Widow. 

On 11/19/2021 at 11:34 PM, Eternal Legion said:

Ahh, gotcha. Well, maybe Fri will beat Jat’s ests by a bit, they did still have a few hours left. It’s lower than I’d hope but still running very close with TDW, which is pretty fine considering the scores.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:55 PM, Eternal Legion said:

In fact, even closer to tdw than I had realized. Using an 11.1 wknd est:  

TDW gross cum true FSS multi Eternals gross cum true FSS multi
Et/tdw cum true FSS multi
Previews 7,100,000   9,500,000    
OW 85,737,841 1 71,297,219 1 1
7day 108,511,114 1.289596875 91,265,255 1.323121919 1.02599653
10day 145,097,130 1.754843829 118,115,383 1.757609562 1.001576056
14day 153,720,821 1.864507203 124,992,163 1.868889327 1.002350285
17day 167,917,123 2.04503482 136,092,163 2.04850906 1.001698866
Final 206,362,140 2.533921805    

It's basically TDW redux in terms of legs, the 3rd weekend drop is actually very typical for Nov MCU. Now TDW ain't exactly aspirational, but it's better than feared on OW.

• Like 1

The Nov MCU 3rd weekend drops comes from the competetion - Thor the dark world had Hunger games opening to 160m, Ragnarok had Justice League and Wonder and Doctor Strange had fantastic beast in its 3rd weekend with an 76m(?) opening.

With Thor: TDW true FSS multiplier Eternals would end up at 157m, with the overall multiplier of 2,41 at 171m. Though the legs are still worse, holiday can help, but 170m seems to be the ceiling. 160m+ most likely.

53 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

It's basically TDW redux in terms of legs, the 3rd weekend drop is actually very typical for Nov MCU. Now TDW ain't exactly aspirational, but it's better than feared on OW.

Yeh I don’t think that makes things look any better than they are, considering quality. 

Eternals about to surpass Shang Chi at the international box office somewhere around tuesday or wednesday. 

I guess it'll end up surpassing Dune WW during the next weekend and Black Widow during next week to be right behind Shang Chi at the WW box office in early December. 

Shame the movie didn't do as good at the domestic BO but seems like internationally it's doing good. The only other comic book movie above it is going to be Venom 2, which no one expected to do this good a year ago.

I had no idea Ghostbusters was mainly successful in the USA. I guess that puts their WW numbers in perspective. 

Edited by TiagoRodrigues

1 hour ago, Coldbird said:

The Nov MCU 3rd weekend drops comes from the competetion - Thor the dark world had Hunger games opening to 160m, Ragnarok had Justice League and Wonder and Doctor Strange had fantastic beast in its 3rd weekend with an 76m(?) opening.

With Thor: TDW true FSS multiplier Eternals would end up at 157m, with the overall multiplier of 2,41 at 171m. Though the legs are still worse, holiday can help, but 170m seems to be the ceiling. 160m+ most likely.

The competition certainly plays a role, though FB1 was of roughly the same magnitude as GBA here, and Eternals is going -58ish vs -61 and -62 when Thor's wemt up vs CF and JL.   

I have no idea how you're getting 157 -- actually, wait, I do have an idea, I think you forgot to add previews back in.

58 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I don’t think that makes things look any better than they are, considering quality. 

Well, things definitely aren't any better than they are. But on the bright side, things aren't any worse than they are either 😛

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's on digital today.

I keep on seeing this stuff about how "OMG ITS ON DIGITAL THE MOVIES GONNA DROP LIKE A ROCK DIGITAL AND STREAMING ARE EVILLLLLLLLLLLLL" when for the past year, that's just not the case. If you want to exclude the first quarter of the year, where movies just stuck around because there was nothing to replace it with, a good chunk of movies when they hit PVOD/digital stores don't really get impacted by legs at all.

A Quiet Place 2's weekend drops post-digital: 29%, 46%, 47%

Cruella's weekend drops post-digital: 21%, 37%, 1%

F9's post-digital: 45%, 55%, 57%

Forever Purge's post-digital: 42%, 52%, 54%

Black Widow's post-digital: 51%, 41%, 29%

Jungle Cruise's post-digital: 20%, 42%, 11%

Free Guy's post-digital: 45%, 45%, 48%

Don't Breathe 2's post-digital: 50%, 42%, 31%

Respect's post-digital: 40%, 45%, 59%

Candyman's post-digital: 26%, 27%, 50%

No Time to Die's post-digital: 25%, 40%

Do some movies have better holds after PVOD than others? Yes. However, and this is a big however, it's not like this is the only factor at play here. There's the issue of competition, which will take away screen space for these movies, as well as some movies, simply put, just not being very good. F9, Forever Purge, and Respect all had middling reception behidn them, so even if they went onto digital stores 6 months from their release date, I sincerely doubt their legs here would be that much better. Free Guy's first three weeks after digital was the 1-2-3 punch of Venom, NTTD, and Halloween Kills. That's gonna impact any movie.

Sure you can argue that people are just not used to early digital drops and that in the future movies will drop like a stone, but honestly, it reads to me people will still go to the theaters if it's an option and won't opt for digital right away, especially since it'll likely cost less to go to the theater than paying $20 to own/rent it.

• Like 4