titanic2187

Ghostbusters 2021 weekend Nov 19-21: Afterlife $44M OW | E: $10.8m | RD: $8.1m

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Wow. I've only seen 2 of the top 10. I haven't even heard of 4 of them.

A very solid top 10 except for Cannonball Run

From a quick scan I've seen about 80% from that list of 112.  A lot of really good films and some real crap.

Edited by TalismanRing

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

it's fun to go and look at the box office grosses of years past. In 1981 for instance the second highest grossing film of the year was On Golden Pond. A movie about an old couple starring Henry Fonda and Katherine Hepburn

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/1981/?grossesOption=totalGrosses

That's a very good year. Very nice suite of films in top 10. Maybe The Four Seasons which I haven't seen, I think, is the least interesting/special on the list. I think I haven't seen On Golden Pond either but looks interesting. All else are worth watching and almost all to re-watch. Maybe Superman II after the first one was a downer that not interested in revisiting anytime soon. My weekend picks would be:

Indy, Cannonball Run & Chariots of Fire

and for the next weekend Bond, Arthur & Time Bandits

21 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

That's a very good year. Very nice suite of films in top 10. Maybe The Four Seasons which I haven't seen, I think, is the least interesting/special on the list. I think I haven't seen On Golden Pond either but looks interesting. All else are worth watching and almost all to re-watch. Maybe Superman II after the first one was a downer that not interested in revisiting anytime soon. My weekend picks would be:

Indy, Cannonball Run & Chariots of Fire

and for the next weekend Bond, Arthur & Time Bandits

On Golden Pond is about two geriatric people and their grandson and it's definitely better than any movie I've seen this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

On Golden Pond is about two geriatric people and their grandson and it's definitely better than any movie I've seen this year. 

I have not seen it in ages but I remember it fondly. Double Fonda and Hepburn. Great performances.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

Here in Portugal you will need to show a negative test and vaccination proof. It is madness. Numbers will tank.

i live in Wales where we’ve had to do the same since last Monday. Unlike England who haven’t followed. Still, it doesn’t seem to have had much impact in Wales. 

I was talking to a worker in my local cinema about it the other day and she said people seem fine with it and business has been really good.  Mind you, the vaccine take up in the U.K. has been considerable. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

West Side Story just had a huge TV spot during the Adele special here in the UK. 

It just doesn’t look as good as it should.

my most anticipated of the year by quite some distance. Adore the musical and Spielberg is a genuine hero of mine. I’ve been waiting for him to do a musical for years.  Super hyped for December 10. 

41 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

I have not seen it in ages but I remember it fondly. Double Fonda and Hepburn. Great performances.

Jane Fonda ROCKED the box office in 1980 and 1981 as actress and producer one last time with "9 to 5 "and "On Golden Pond" before revolutionizing the fitness and VHS industries, and then retiring. 

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Jane Fonda ROCKED the box office in 1980 and 1981 as actress and producer one last time with "9 to 5 "and "On Golden Pond" before revolutionizing the fitness and VHS industries, and then retiring. 

She took a hiatus, but she’s made a comeback in the last 15 years or so. Grace & Frankie is great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like we all owe that movie an apology for really overrating its failure back when we didn't know that anything that was geared towards the non-IP audience was bound to make little. With only a handful of 2021 releases remaining that are locked to make more than it, it's likely to finish among the top 45 movies of the year. 

Sure, but In The Heights also came out when Covid cases were at their lowest since the start of the pandemic. Before Delat came and fucked everything. June 2021 we were at like 10,000 cases a day. Now we're over 150,000 easy? 

The pandemic situation is WAYYYY worse now than it was then. I feel like y'all are forgetting that here

Edited by Pinacolada

3 hours ago, fmpro said:

Not 100% true. I live in Denmark and Ghostbusters are Iconic here. And have been for many years. The first two are often shown on national tv and everyone over 30 knows the GB song. 
Why its doing poorly i have no answer too

There are always outliers but Ghostbusters has had literally very little impact worldwide to people below 40. Are there fans under 40? Obviously, and I'm sure in country, but they're a little. It may be iconic in Denmark to 40+ but anyway...

Totally anecdotal but: Sunday 1st show is my usual go to here in the Midwest (Indiana). Usually a pretty dead showing because people are in church. Today’s first showing of Afterlife was 60% full on Saturday so I went with the second show which was 50%+ full. Haven’t seen Sunday morning crowds like this in a long time. Think it will be a soft Sunday drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

i live in Wales where we’ve had to do the same since last Monday. Unlike England who haven’t followed. Still, it doesn’t seem to have had much impact in Wales. 

I was talking to a worker in my local cinema about it the other day and she said people seem fine with it and business has been really good.  Mind you, the vaccine take up in the U.K. has been considerable. 

You and others are not understanding. It is a vaccine AND A negative test. Not just one of them. It is both.

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Seems in honor of Ghostbusters, we need to have a Stripes night:)...

Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something in usual. But now I know why I've always lost women to guys like you. I mean it's not just the uniform it's a stories that you tell. Lee Harvey, you are a madman.

Stripes is the ultimate comedy and I think I watch that movie a hundred times when I was a kid. I would definitely down for watching stripes and live blogging about it or something here.

• Like 1