Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (12/10-12) | WSS 800K Previews

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

I'm still so pissed about this.

The way them people were acting about that 2016 film you'd think a new GB movie with the return of the original cast would be doing Star Wars numbers.

Turns out nobody was actually that bothered about this franchise. 

I do honestly take pleasure in all this as a form of justice to the Feig movie. It was legit a cute, pleasant time and it’s a pity the reappraisal after all the discourse was “it’s meh I guess”. Deserves better than that honestly

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I by absolutely no means am saying that superhero movies or streaming is going anywhere, but to the what can be done crowd - for about 20+ years, Hollywood was largely dominated by cookie-cutter Code movies, studio-owned multiplexes, and westerns. Then the late 1960s came around, and with it came revolutionary movies and major changes to how films are released, creating a world where movies like the Godfather could shatter box office records and all leading up to Jaws, Star Wars, etc. I'm not saying we're ever getting a New Hollywood era again, but it would start with studios taking major risks on costly, original projects oriented towards adults that create a market for these things to be huge hits, just like back then. This is both a simplified history and complicated by streamers, but it all starts with that kind of risky investment I'm worried won't continue to happen.

Little difficult to get a new Hollywood going again when there are no executives that actually likes movies and every decision is made by the Don Cheadle in Space Jam AI. Even Netflix is going to start moving away from auteur stuff to make more red notices and extractions.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Little difficult to get a new Hollywood going again when there are no executives that actually likes movies and every decision is made by the Don Cheadle in Space Jam AI. Even Netflix is going to start moving away from auteur stuff to make more red notices and extractions.

Yeah it's definitely a long shot we ever get real investment in good movies again now that Red Notice has allegedly been watched by every man, woman, child, and some fetuses in America. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Correct, also along with the fact that I posted in the tracking thread that Disney made theaters commit to playing it clean all the way through Jan. 6th if they were going to take it.  

Is Licorice Pizza still getting 2000 theater expansion on Christmas?

What about Journal For Jordan?

In the end, UNDER In The Heights is a really bad opening for WSS. This is not simultaneusly going to streaming, plus it's Spielberg and a remake of a beloved musical. Maybe it would have flopped in normal times too, not as bad, but still

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Is Licorice Pizza still getting 2000 theater expansion on Christmas?

What about Journal For Jordan?

Nope.  They are dialing Licorice Pizza way back to under 1k runs.  

Journal for Jordan is going for as many theaters as it can get.  

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

As for WSS, if it does only open at $10M, it's not going above 4-5x DOM for legs, and will be another financial bomb, even in the Covid era...there's just too many wide openers and limiteds needing Oscar runs for this to stick anywhere but the major multiplexes over Xmas at that open...

Although as I said in tracking thread a few days ago, when I thought it would open to $10M, which would break the $4-7M adult-oriented movie OW range from this year (save Gaga breaking it already), that at least we might be starting to break over the top range for adult movies, even if just slightly...and it may be slow baby steps progression forward from here on out, but at least it's that way, and not the other...

Disney made anyone that took it commit to playing through to Jan. 6th on a full schedule.  

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Nope.  They are dialing Licorice Pizza way back to under 1k runs.  

Journal for Jordan is going for as many theaters as it can get.  

They are both at 1 of my 12s already for Xmas Day...usually movies are not there, unless you get 1K screen opening or you're a foreign movie...

Now presales aren't open yet, so it could be dropped, but it seems it will not be way for away from the original plans if it makes it here...

25 minutes ago, Eric Feels Pretty said:

I do honestly take pleasure in all this as a form of justice to the Feig movie. It was legit a cute, pleasant time and it’s a pity the reappraisal after all the discourse was “it’s meh I guess”. Deserves better than that honestly

It was worse then meh.  It did more than it deserved.  Feig should have bothered to write a script.  He let his cast down badly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Disney made anyone that took it commit to playing through to Jan. 6th on a full schedule.  

If it's making no money, theaters will take the penalty or Disney will renegotiate for its other movies...

Probably explains Nightmare Alley opening against Spidey, but with no showings past Dec 21 at either of my 12s (and WSS having none after Dec 16 yet, while many Xmas movies have long runs)...I'm willing to bet theaters will get the option on how a screen gets filled for Disney, pending both movies' performances...

Edited by TwoMisfits

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Family subscriber models...Cinemark is closest right now, but theaters need to come up with family pricing for family movies...Clifford did it, but it waited til weekend #4...

I would have subscribed long before now (a new subscriber) if I could have bought tickets for my kids or had them in the plan.  As is, it was Cinemark's new platinum option, with 6 discounted tickets/month on top of my credit, that got me to buy...

They may need to also introduce "senior" plans...ala the old Moviepass, for those 45+, but exclude the supers movies and discount them to get grandma back in to theaters...

'

You HAVE to get 25+ females back in, especially with their 12 and under kids and their 50+ friends...you have to figure out a change you can run with...

Cinemark is trying a tactic...I think Regal, who has suffered the most, should give the family plan or senior plan a try...

I would also add the drum that @TalismanRing consistently bangs on: Variable Pricing for lower tier movies. 

"Flex" pricing has already made it to other entertainment venues (thinking sports here), so why couldn't it work for movies?  Get a little creative here with the discount plans and don't rely on just Discount Tuesday or Senior Monday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If it's making no money, theaters will take the penalty or Disney will renegotiate for its other movies...

Probably explains Nightmare Alley opening against Spidey, but with no showings past Dec 21 at either of my 12s (and WSS having none after Dec 16 yet, while many Xmas movies have long runs)...I'm willing to bet theaters will get the option on how a screen gets filled for Disney, pending both movies' performances...

Things can always change, but I know for a fact that as of today Monday afternoon Disney was making anyone that took it commit to playing it over the holiday.  

They aren't all that concerned about Nightmare Alley.  If anything, they are way more concerned on The King's Man.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would also add the drum that @TalismanRing consistently bangs on: Variable Pricing for lower tier movies. 

"Flex" pricing has already made it to other entertainment venues (thinking sports here), so why couldn't it work for movies?  Get a little creative here with the discount plans and don't rely on just Discount Tuesday or Senior Monday.

Problem is nobody would want to be the first to try it. There's a lot of inertia in any industry. But I agree. Americans love discounts and if this was promoted it could definitely help. We see in the tracking thread how those Atom/Tmobile deals can boost things for a day. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They are both at 1 of my 12s already for Xmas Day...usually movies are not there, unless you get 1K screen opening or you're a foreign movie...

Now presales aren't open yet, so it could be dropped, but it seems it will not be way for away from the original plans if it makes it here...

Theaters likely have it scheduled in place, but if it isn't open they are doing that as a logistics move ahead of time.  

Licorice Pizza is going under 800 locations, not anywhere close to 2k as of today.  

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Things can always change, but I know for a fact that as of today Monday afternoon Disney was making anyone that took it commit to playing it over the holiday.  

They aren't all that concerned about Nightmare Alley.  If anything, they are way more concerned on The King's Man.  

Yeah, I forgot that one - it's even more likely Disney would let extra showings for King's Man replace WSS - Disney does like money after all, and they get part of the revenue for the tickets, so they aren't gonna want 5 tickets sold showings for WSS if they can get 50 ticket showings for King's Man...

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

On a tangent, but I prefer fixed pricing. Of course, when there are different products being offered, maybe different pricing could be preferable.

Still... I'd prefer if prices for airline tickets wasn't variable and I'd hate to see movie tickets go the same way.

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Problem is nobody would want to be the first to try it. There's a lot of inertia in any industry. But I agree. Americans love discounts and if this was promoted it could definitely help. We see in the tracking thread how those Atom/Tmobile deals can boost things for a day. 

Studios have to be the ones to allow it, not the theaters.  Studio agreements with theaters demand that other than a discount day, prices have to remain competitive in the market.  

Plenty of theaters would be fine lowering the ticket price to $5 on every day of the week except Thurs-Sun if it meant it would bring them a lot of guests that would buy concessions.  

The simple reality is nobody can do it and get away with it.  The studio will pull the film from them if they try it.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1