The Wild Eric

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

Every single movie except Encanto (which probably benefited from being short compared to all the other long, showtime-restricting movies out right now in addition to potential Spider-Man spillover) felt the pain this weekend due to Spider-Man being such a dominant presence over the biggest to medium-sized to even smaller auditoriums at every single theater it was playing at this weekend. Even Licorice Pizza dropped by nearly 50% and that has been holding up extremely well in just 4 theaters. Nightmare Alley's numbers seem fine all things considered (especially for such a long, dark movie), had it been given much more auditorium room to breath instead of being shoved into 50 seat theaters out the gate it likely would've opened with at least $5M.

Edited by filmlover

Life of a candidate, I've been going to three holiday parties a night featuring mostly older Democrats (aka the WSS demographic) and I try to bring up movies as much as I can, and honest to God, people just didn't seem that interested in West Side Story. Mind you, these people were in a crowded indoor gathering, so it wasn't all COVID fears. They just straight up didn't feel the need for a West Side Story remake. We honestly could have just been overstating the appeal of that one all along. All the holds are fucking awful, though.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wicked is the most popular musical of the last 25 years, has an iconic song, and is a big budget fantasy movie based on the Wizard of Oz that's apparently starring Ariana Grande. Compare it to WSS at your own peril. I agree it won't do as good as it once would have, but there's a point five years ago when it would have done 220+.

Universal definitely missed the big window on Wicked. If made in like the 2012-14 corridor, it would have exploded over the holidays.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Omicron being overstated again 🙄 it will not have much of an impact domestically unless theaters start getting massive restrictions.

This films WOM is out of this world 

Okay stop man. This was a mega film, it was promoted as a huge event film ala Endgame. 

Other films do not even compare and why don't you wait till the second weekend drop before  declaring the end of the pandemic and that movie theaters are back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Okay stop man. This was a mega film, it was promoted as a huge event film ala Endgame. 

Other films do not even compare and why don't you wait till the second weekend drop before  declaring the end of the pandemic and that movie theaters are back.

You just completely overstated my post.  I didn’t declare any of that.  I just said for this film it won’t have much impact, which it won’t.  

• Like 1

Ghostbusters: Afterlife is gonna end up having more or less the same exact run as the '16 movie did. I'd say good for Sony that they have a consistent IP on their hands, but such a relatively low-ceiling franchise is probably not what they want from this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife is gonna end up having more or less the same exact run as the '16 movie did. I'd say good for Sony that they have a consistent IP on their hands, but such a relatively low-ceiling franchise is probably not what they want from this.

I’d say 200m is a big hit!

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Same money, half the budget… Sony is on a roll

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

OS really didn't show up again as everyone said and expected. Feels like it just got lost in the conversation altogether after like the first week.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But this film cost much, much less and we're still in a very unusual theatrical period. 

I'd bet that SONY takes a swing at another one...but possibly might keep it "around" the budget of the first one.  

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

OS really didn't show up again as everyone said and expected. Feels like it just got lost in the conversation altogether after like the first week.

Ghostbusters would make a much better streaming series. Think live action The Real Ghostbusters

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The original cast is what made the GB franchise so beloved. You can never recapture the magic of the first one.

It was lightning in a bottle.

Now it's just running on fumes.

• Like 4

Speaking of Sony franchises, and I know this is really off-topic, is it weird to anybody else that there's no traction on the next Jumanji movie? I know Dwayne's got 30 other projects coming out this week, but this feels like something that would be a top priority for all parties involved and I don't think this is a franchise that can handle a super long break between movies.

Same also applies to Bad Boys 4. I get both of these projects were hit by COVID, but I would think now would be the time for fast tracking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Blame the studios 1000% for this, not theaters.  The studios all desperately try to shove 9 new wide release films into a 2 week window after going weeks before and after where they release nothing.  

Nightmare Alley should have been a Dec. 25th limited NY/LA release, then roll out to 50 theaters on 12/31, then wide on 1/7.  

Journal for Jordan should have been an MLK weekend release.  American Underdog should have stayed where it was or moved to 2/4.  

There is room to make money for everyone, but they have to be smart about it.  

AU should have been MLK weekend b/c it's the 1st playoff weekend - that's a football movie that they could have hyped through the Super Bowl...

Funny enough, of all the crushed in movies, I expect that one (of Nightmare Alley, Journal for Jordan, and Licorce Pizza) to do the best on the season...

And as I said awhile ago, King's Man should have kicked, too...it would have been a fine winter open...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

So, exactly what I said last weekend - 4-5x legs/max b/c it was opening one week before a juggernaut...probably should have opened Dec 3 to get 2 weeks vs one...especially since only Christmas with the Chosen opened then, so it was wide open...

1 minute ago, Eric Osborn said:

Speaking of Sony franchises, and I know this is really off-topic, is it weird to anybody else that there's no traction on the next Jumanji movie? I know Dwayne's got 30 other projects coming out this week, but this feels like something that would be a top priority for all parties involved and I don't think this is a franchise that can handle a super long break between movies.

Same also applies to Bad Boys 4. I get both of these projects were hit by COVID, but I would think now would be the time for fast tracking.

COVID has messed up everyone's availabilities. Studios are still sitting on movies that would have been out in the summer of 2020 (Top Gun, Minions) had the world not completely fallen apart.

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tbh I think they should’ve move forward the animated movie done by Sony Animation.