Eric the Minion

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Speaking of Batman I do wonder if fan and audience expectations will be skewed with the upcoming Flash film now that NWH has delivered so well with the multiverse aspect. 

Feels like DC has once again been beaten to the punch again. 

DS2 will be more fresh in people’s minds, but if that does well than 2x beaten to the concept is even worse.

1 hour ago, Coldbird said:

If NWH would be trainwreck like eternals, we would have over hundred articles already about the death of the MCU and superhero genre.

Not what I was suggesting at all. More like if it was received like say HC or FFH in the “it’s decent” vein.

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

I wonder if Eternals being sandwiched in between Shang Chi and Spidey helped to lessen its box office? Might’ve done better in February and without the Oscar drama around it, might’ve gotten better reviews.

No.  Shang Chi didn't blow up OS at all and it had a good dom run due to dead month. But it wasn't an event to take hype away from another Marvel movie. 

Eternals previews were banking on Cloe Zhao and her style (characters gazing into golden hour horizon) as if movies like Nomadland are what blockbuster crowd is looking for. And then reviews started to come out putting in their headlines that the movie was boring af. That killed the enthusiasm. Venom gets shit reviews but previews are fun and even pans don't call it dull. Eternals was labelled a snooze. I was personally entertained throughout but I can't deny that large number of negative and mixed reviews had Boring/Dull/Snooze in the headline. You really don't need to read beyond that. It still did somewhat better OS than SC but, like venom 2, most SH movies really need China to inflate their numbers to something impressive. When you look at many CBM grosses, they wouldn't be a billionaire club without China (FFH for example). NWH will get there without China in view days, though, because Sony characters/actors proved to be a massive, cultural-level hook. 

NWH may have taken the hype from Hawkeye but I think that one would always get far less interest than D+ shows with more popular characters and stories that aren't as obvious filler as the Hawkeye one. 

8 hours ago, GoblinXXR said:

I think you're underestimating how much his popularity has grown thanks to Infinity War, Endgame and now NWH. At a minimum, its getting a 50% increase over DS1 but I think it'll be closer to a 100% increase than 50%. 

How do you know it's not you that's overestimating it?  :thinking:

I'll be more than happy to say you were right and I was wrong, but we will have to wait a few months for that lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ithil said:

Movie is far from just "nostalgia" anyway, it does a great job integrating its past elements in a way where none of them feel wasted, and even provides additional closure to the previous two series.

Well I have not seen it so I will have to take your word for it but given the performance box office wise I have to assume you’re right

Finally a box office mega event after frickin ages. Loving this. 250M+ OW, goddamn! Spidey solo over IW would have been quite the interesting sell a year ago.

And what a film. 10/10 to the heart of any spidey fanatic. Genuinely one of my happiest theatre experiences of all time. And nearly every fan I've talked to so far has the same to say about it and has/wants to watch it twice at least. Yet to meet someone who didn't rave about the film. WOM is out of the world and the multi's gotta be fantastic. 

While there's the theory that covid might discourage rewatches I'd like to counter it with the possibility that the amazing WOM persuades people who were unsure because of covid to end up going for it as well.

260m puts 800m within the horizon imo. Unless, ofc, omicron has bigger plans.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

How do you know it's not you that's overestimating it?  :thinking:

I'll be more than happy to say you were right and I was wrong, but we will have to wait a few months for that lol.

I have to watch Spidey Tuesday to have a real feel for how Strange's movie will do, but I will say...

He's a character GREAT in small doses, but hard to get audiences to love in large ones...maybe he's got that "large dose" in this movie and he'll have even more love coming out, but RDJ/Tony always had that charismatic lighter sarcastic touch with a heart of gold and Strange has a more cutting edge that's harder to always root for...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I have to watch Spidey Tuesday to have a real feel for how Strange's movie will do, but I will say...

He's a character GREAT in small doses, but hard to get audiences to love in large ones...maybe he's got that "large dose" in this movie and he'll have even more love coming out, but RDJ/Tony always had that charismatic lighter sarcastic touch with a heart of gold and Strange has a more cutting edge that's harder to always root for...

I agree that he's been far better in the supporting role.  It's been so long I think people forget that his solo movie didn't exactly set the world on fire.  It was just a basic origin story with cool effects and while I like it more than most, it's still closer to the bottom of the MCU than the top.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I agree that he's been far better in the supporting role.  It's been so long I think people forget that his solo movie didn't exactly set the world on fire.  It was just a basic origin story with cool effects and while I like it more than most, it's still closer to the bottom of the MCU than the top.  

$400M+ Dom for DSITMOM

you gonna learn GIF by Bounce

• Haha 1

What I'm anticipating for Multiverse of Madness is a Stephen (huh it does feel weird calling him that) Strange well and truly out of his depth which will hopefully give more vulnerable sides to his character. 

Be interesting how much they emphasise this is a continuation from the events of WandaVision and NWH as opposed to his own solo movie. A bit how like Civil War had to juggle with being a sequel to Winter Soldier while also following up from Ultron

58 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Revenge of the sith while flawed is far more enjoyable film then the new star wars trilogy films.

Being honest the new trilogy likely made revenge of the sith more liked.

ROTS is terrific. ST or no ST, it works in its own right. But yes, ST made people more aware how many chances PT took instead of trying to be a soft reboot of OT. I always liked PT more than OT anyway.

• Thanks 1