Eric Lasagna

No Way Home Weekend Thread | #RIP AIW Record | 260M OW DOM | 340M OS | 600M OW WW W/O CHINA

22 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Can't people let Sony have this? Marvel is a continuous never ending success story, yes it's their movie too, but this didn't blow up because Doctor Strange is in it.

I agree. 

Also, It's 2021 and Sony's 2 comic book movies outgrossed Disney's 3 at the box office:

1: Spider-Man - Sony

2: Venom 2 - Sony

3: Shang Chi - Disney

4: Eternals - Disney

5: Black Widow - Disney

There's no way to spin this. You all know that if a year ago someone had told you guys this would happen you wouldn't believe it.

It IS a huge success story for Sony. And no, Sony isn't some poor company, but they are on their way to have one of the most successful comebacks with most of their businesses at the same time and it's fun to watch and root for the underdog here. We all know Disney Marvel will be fine. But this year has been fun to watch.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Yeah kinda like how FFH wasn't the first billion dollar Spidey movie because Peter's ties to Iron Man and Endgame.

If one looks at the returns for the Sony-operated/mixed received (at best) TASM 2 and the last two Marvel-run Spidey joints (both which got good reviews) you’ll notice two things (1) TASM 2 didn’t make as much as TASM 1 and (2) the jumps those last two movies had compared to TASM 2. Facts are facts.

if NWH Is an ice cream made by Marvel, those Sony Spidey legacy characters are the cherry on top. Those characters helped clearly goose numbers for this, but to give Sony full credit for this one is just….it reeks of tryhard.

5 minutes ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

I agree. 

Also, It's 2021 and Sony's 2 comic book movies outgrossed Disney's 3 at the box office:

1: Spider-Man - Sony

2: Venom 2 - Sony

3: Shang Chi - Disney

4: Eternals - Disney

5: Black Widow - Disney

There's no way to spin this. You all know that if a year ago someone had told you guys this would happen you wouldn't believe it.

It IS a huge success story for Sony. And no, Sony isn't some poor company, but they are on their way to have one of the most successful comebacks with most of their businesses at the same time and it's fun to watch and root for the underdog here. We all know Disney Marvel will be fine. But this year has been fun to watch.

Sony is also seemingly the only major studio left fully committed to 100% theatrical runs. I'm happy to see this pay off for them twice this year.. three times if you count the very solid Ghostbusters numbers. Disney claims to support theatrical, but doing stuff like Black Widow hybrid release (after F9 made solid money) and Encanto getting shoved onto D+ before a lucrative Christmas bump could happen make it pretty obvious they don't actually care, or their resolve is flimsy at best.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Sony is also seemingly the only major studio left fully committed to 100% theatrical runs. I'm happy to see this pay off for them twice this year.. three times if you count the very solid Ghostbusters numbers. Disney claims to support theatrical, but doing stuff like Black Widow hybrid release (after F9 made solid money) and Encanto getting shoved onto D+ before a lucrative Christmas bump could happen make it pretty obvious they don't actually care, or their resolve is flimsy at best.

This is the main reason I’m am praising Sony.  They have been the most pro theater studio throughout the pandemic. 

1 minute ago, Weird Alegion said:

We really trying to pretend that Sony marvel "beat" Disney marvel this year because of the gross of a movie that they made together...  

If we're talking pure numbers they did beat them. Of course Disney benefits greatly from this too. I'm not sure what the new deal was for box office revenue and all that or how much Disney gets percentage wise, but regardless if Sony gets 50% or 100%, Disney will be getting merchandising money and all the extra shit like that pretty much all to themselves. 

I don’t think NWH would of made anywhere near what it made this weekend without those certain characters or villains in the movie. But it’s not as if the first two movies have done poorly. This still would of probably been the biggest movie in the pandemic era.

But in the end they did get all the characters in the movie and it seems like they did a great job with it so kudos to Sony and marvel for being able to work it out. They have a huge hit on their hands. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I will look a bit deeper in a few hours, but think it might be like $36m

Don't put any weight behind that yet, might be totally wrong.  

TFA and AEG safe, over Avatar still possible?

Edited by Gokai Red

2 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

TFA and AEG safe, over Avatar still possible?

I wasn't in the camp of it beating TFA or Endgame in the first place but how exactly does one Monday number (which would only be down 44%) change this. Might be higher than TFA's drop but NWH is gonna have 4 straight weekdays to make bank whereas TFA had 3 before getting hit by Christmas Eve on Thurs. 

Christmas time grosses are going to vary paced on the calendar year, remember that. TFA/Avatar both dropped around 33% or so and I don't think it's a coincidence the calendar days lined up for them. I'd check out movies that came out in 2010 to see how they did on this date.

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sorry to break it to you but the entire movie could be just Maguire and Garfield and it wouldve made as much money. Wouldve made a lot less if it was just Holland and Cumberbatch tho. 

Either of those two versions would have made less lol. I know plenty of people who don't care about Tobey or Andrew but saw this because it was a hyped MCU film.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I wasn't in the camp of it beating TFA or Endgame in the first place but how exactly does one Monday number (which would only be down 44%) change this. Might be higher than TFA's drop but NWH is gonna have 4 straight weekdays to make bank whereas TFA had 3 before getting hit by Christmas Eve on Thurs. 

Christmas time grosses are going to vary paced on the calendar year, remember that. TFA/Avatar both dropped around 33% or so and I don't think it's a coincidence the calendar days lined up for them. I'd check out movies that came out in 2010 to see how they did on this date.

The largest opener on December 17th, 2010 was Tron Legacy @ $44M. It dropped 47% the first Monday. 

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

If we're talking pure numbers they did beat them. Of course Disney benefits greatly from this too. I'm not sure what the new deal was for box office revenue and all that or how much Disney gets percentage wise, but regardless if Sony gets 50% or 100%, Disney will be getting merchandising money and all the extra shit like that pretty much all to themselves. 

No, they didn’t. NWH is both, BW sc Eternals >V2

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sorry to break it to you but the entire movie could be just Maguire and Garfield and it wouldve made as much money. Wouldve made a lot less if it was just Holland and Cumberbatch tho. 

It's takes like these that made a lot of people leave these boards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3