Ezen Baklattan

Friday numbers (page 12) THG 12.7-12.9, AR 9.3, Titanic 7.1

While I'll admit that my expectations for Titanic were higher, it's not like $6-7 million would be bad for Friday. Two key points to keep in mind are that it's 194 minutes long and it's hitting theatres while The Hunger Games is still hot and American Reunion is also working the '90s nostalgia angle (even if their demographics don't line up exactly). In an open marketplace, it would probably be set to go higher.

i think AR and Titanic could have both opened better; they are both well known properties and their predecessors were successes. AR may not crack 30M, but Safe House, an original movie can crack 40M, i think people are really wanting to see fresh stuff. IMO, they shouldve tried to sell the plot of AR better, instead of saying "the gangs back together"; i feel many thought "if ive seen 1-3, then ive seen this one, ill wait for redbox" and titanic shouldve had 2D options. Its over 3 hours long! Not that many older people wanna see 3D to begin with, and for 3 hours? Same with younger people because we get restless. Me and my date thought about Titanic, but there was no 2D and it was too long, so we saw WooT 2D instead, and i enjoyed it. I was expecting atleast 30M 3 day from AR and 5 day for Titanic. I think the general causual audience is trying to tell Hollywood something.

Cmon, there are no things like DVD when ANH re-released and you would have to go to theaters if you want to see it again.Titanic is everywhere for 14 years.

Agreed 100%. It was unrealistic to think Titanic would do huge numbers when everyone owns the DVD and its on TV all the time. It was always going to attract only the hardcore fans, just like Episode 1 did.

Cmon, there are no things like DVD when ANH re-released and you would have to go to theaters if you want to see it again.Titanic is everywhere for 14 years.

Right, because I forgot no one owned a VCR before DVDs came around. :lol:I do think the constant playing of Titanic on TV over the last 15 years probably hurt it though. That movie is played all the time on cable.

i was going to watch john carter tomorrow with my nephews but it pulled out of theatre, i'm kinda bum i'd finally decided on giving it a chance even though consensus says its a dud! oh well wrath of the titans it is then...