filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

15 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I cant believe there are people supporting Will Smith.

I think what makes it easy is that it’s not like Will Smith has a history of violent behavior or despicable acts. He’s a really good guy. And most people of a certain generation have grown up with him. Was it appropriate? Absolutely not. Should he have done it. No. I but as Rizzo from Grease Says, there are worse things I could do

• Like 5

Overall - this was a trainwreck of a ceremony. There was no momentum at all and they just couldn't adapt after the slap happened. 

Please just go back to normal next year instead of the crazy Twitter polls and stuff (which people already forgot thanks to Will)

• Like 2

Reviews are starting to really come in for the telecast and they're very "not great Bob."

Results and Reviews of the 94th Annual Academy Awards - Metacritic

Yeah, needless to say, even if the ratings see an uptick and all the chatter that's almost exclusively the result of The Slap, it's unlikely Packer is being invited back. Good luck to whoever is given the job of figuring out how to fix this next.

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

I think what makes it easy is that it’s not like Will Smith has a history of violent behavior or despicable acts. He’s a really good guy. And most people of a certain generation have grown up with him. Was it appropriate? Absolutely not. Should he have done it. No. I but as Rizzo from Grease Says, there are worse things I could do

It's also that Defending One's Wife/Husband/Significant-Other With A Good Hard Slap When Someone Else Talks Shit About Them is a tale as old as time itself, and so it resonates with a looooooot of people.

Is it right?  No, as you say.  Will a lot of people defend it?  It'd be surprising if a lot of folks didn't defend it on varying levels, given how deeply imbedded "Defend One's Spouse From Shit Talkers" is in the human psyche.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

In hindsight, were the Oscars that Jimmy Kimmel hosted that bad? 

The first Kimmel Oscars are amazing. Perfectly paced, great jokes, great winners.... until the La La Land/Moonlight mixup. Those Oscars should have been the template, it was perfect for 99% of it. Unfortunately the end overshadowed everything.

It's time for the Oscars to go on moratorium for a few years.  And the Smith/Rock debacle was the perfect implosion point.  

And I didn't even watch it!  But I can tell just from a few highlights and people's reactions.  

Put them away for 3-5 years.  Reboot from the ground up.  Make people want them again.  

Or if the awards must go ahead, end the TV broadcast for a few years.  

Before 1953, these things used to be just highlights on newsreels in cinemas -- just do that for a while...  

• Like 1

In retrospect it's amazing the 2018/2019 ceremony went as smoothly as it did after they were forced to go forward with a simple event because ever since they've been attempting to put on a show that will make everyone happy and that's just never going to happen. Focus on putting together the best show possible, instead of trying to be all things for all people cause it just won't work. 

Maybe there is a race or class divide (I think it probably is) but it is 100% fine in my book to get physical with someone who is being verbally abusive in order for them to stop. A lot of people talking about Will crossing the line but very few talking about Chris and his shock jock style humour that he has done to Jada multiple times.

People have talk shit to me, friends, girlfriends etc. and I or people around me have confronted them and it gets to shut their mouth most of the time, that is probably what happened here just on a very public stage, the disrespect from Chris and the retaliation from Will both seen by millions.

Hopefully both men go their separate ways and move on with their lives no need for apologies from either side from my point of view as it isn't like they were on friendly terms what happened happened and that is that.

Also very much questioning lots of people that are saying Will should be be arrested or put in jail that just seems like some racist bullshit but that is a whole other issue.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Maybe there is a race or class divide (I think it probably is) but it is 100% fine in my book to get physical with someone who is being verbally abusive in order for them to stop. A lot of people talking about Will crossing the line but very few talking about Chris and his shock jock style humour that he has done to Jada multiple times.

People have talk shit to me, friends, girlfriends etc. and I or people around me have confronted them and it gets to shut their mouth most of the time, that is probably what happened here just on a very public stage, the disrespect from Chris and the retaliation from Will both seen by millions.

Hopefully both men go their separate ways and move on with their lives no need for apologies from either side from my point of view as it isn't like they were on friendly terms what happened happened and that is that.

Also very much questioning lots of people that are saying Will should be be arrested or put in jail that just seems like some racist bullshit but that is a whole other issue.

Clock these racist ass fools!

They come out in droves with their rhetoric during events like this.

It's so obvious.

• Like 1

Lmao he should not be arrested in any way but accepting his actions and saying "ah yes he did good for his wife" is beyond dumb, I guess people don't know how professionalism and jokes work in this age.

I'm sorry if I do not related with a super common "health disease" that should be barely a problem with all her wealth.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Macleod said:

It's time for the Oscars to go on moratorium for a few years.  And the Smith/Rock debacle was the perfect implosion point.  

And I didn't even watch it!  But I can tell just from a few highlights and people's reactions.  

Put them away for 3-5 years.  Reboot from the ground up.  Make people want them again.  

Or if the awards must go ahead, end the TV broadcast for a few years.  

Before 1953, these things used to be just highlights on newsreels in cinemas -- just do that for a while...  

One of the avatar sequels will probably end up being nominated for BP, that'll probably get people interested in the oscars again 

No reason for the fatalism, sure its has many problems, but for a long time a big factor in its "depreciation" is that no one really gives a damn about any of the nominees beyond complaining about how overrated they are

Sure the current staff in charge of the oscars is terrible, and so has their decision to got hostless (+ this years hosts), but im sure if they really tried (and fired some people), got a great host, had a popular movie to build an oscar campaign around (Dune was neither popular nor good enough for that), discouraged hosts and winners from mentioning political topics, and worked out something with a streaming service, they could return to 2015 level audiences

Edited by interiorgatordecorator