Eric Prime

Super Bowl/Valentine's Weekend Thread | Nile 1.1M Previews, Marry Me 525K

16 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Elvis has potential but kinda feels like the David O. Russell movie is the last hope. A director who had a good track record, an all-star cast, November release. But so many variables. Will it be another Joy? Can a completely original drama be properly marketed by Disney?

(I fully expect Babylon to bomb hard, though. A movie about silent era filmmaking? Yeah, good luck)

Don't Worry Darling can also be a hit due to Harry Styles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Very sad for the Oscar stuff as well. Horrendous PTAs for everything. I was expecting much more from Licorice. Not even 1M is a disaster.

It would have gotten $1m+ if it wasn't for the super bowl.

Still feel like people are forgetting about how this is super bowl weekend and Sunday is just a complete bust

Jackass Forever definitely would have had a better 2nd weekend drop than Jackass 3d (-58%) if it weren't for the Super Bowl

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah that's something to watch out for. Florence is really popular and I think she can actually become a mini-draw of sorts. And it's a genre film which have done very well lately

She's popular on Twitter. Unknown outside of it. Even Kristen Stewart who is actually known outside of Film Twitter delivered flop (Spencer) after flop (Charlie's Angels) after bomb (Underwater) after bomb (Seberg) in the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Flopped said:

She's popular on Twitter. Unknown outside of it. Even Kristen Stewart who is actually known outside of Film Twitter delivered flop (Spencer) after flop (Charlie's Angels) after bomb (Underwater) after bomb (Seberg) in the last couple of years. 

Those are all terrible movies, though. NOBODY in the world is seeing SEBERG regardless who stars. 

Florence has MCU buzz and Little Women which was a big hit that got her an Oscar nomination. Don't Worry, Darling is the kind of movie that has done well post COVID and she's the face of it which will surely help boost her profile

31 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Elvis has potential but kinda feels like the David O. Russell movie is the last hope. A director who had a good track record, an all-star cast, November release. But so many variables. Will it be another Joy? Can a completely original drama be properly marketed by Disney?

(I fully expect Babylon to bomb hard, though. A movie about silent era filmmaking? Yeah, good luck)

Yeah the DOR movie has a good shot, but the social media buzz around that is gonna be so fucking bad when the trailer drops and all that. I feel like that will hurt the movie a lot.

And with Babylon, it's tricky. The movie, though yes it takes place during the transition from the silent era to the talkies, is very flashy. It's similar to like Wolf of Wall Street. I imagine the look of the movie will be more La La Land than First Man. It'll be flashy, with whip pans and all that stuff. But yeah, it's gonna be expensive, and a hard R. That's why I feel this is a good comparison to WoWS. But this is missing Leo. I feel like Babylon's cast isn't starry enough, besides Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie (which btw, I think they should have waited for Emma Stone. I think she's more of a proven draw than Margot.)

21 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Those are all terrible movies, though. NOBODY in the world is seeing SEBERG regardless who stars. 

Florence has MCU buzz and Little Women which was a big hit that got her an Oscar nomination. Don't Worry, Darling is the kind of movie that has done well post COVID and she's the face of it which will surely help boost her profile

They will be selling this with Harry Styles , Pugh really hasn’t proven herself as a draw. 

22 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

She's very talented so I hope she pops, but these new girls aren't transcending the online chatter. I guess the world has changed and so has the way we consume media is preventing true movie stars from popping. At 22, Julia Roberts was your mom and grandma's fave, your dad and brother's crush, and the girl your sister wanted to be friends with. EVERYONE knew her. If I say "Florence Pugh" at a family gathering, 2/3 will say "Florence Who?" 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 4:10 PM, Napoleon said:

I hope no more studio merges. Death On Denial is opening at the higher end of adult oriented films since covid, despite being completely dumped. Its biggest star didn’t even do those fluffy late night interviews. Was there even a premiere for the movie? This would never happen when Fox was a studio of its own that would need their movies to make money, they would put every effort into making them reach their full potential at the box office.

I may be the exception here, but I saw a lot of trailers for this movie to the point I was saying, "this same trailer again". I don't think the problem is the lack of marketing, the problem is audience behavior has changed and I'm part of the problem. 10 years ago I would have gone to the theaters to watch this movie. Nowadays I will wait for it to hit streaming. It's part of the reason I cancelled my AMC movie pass. I don't go enough to even take advantage of that and I consider myself a more hardcore moviegoer than the average Joe.

Most consecutive top 5s this century:

Croods2 17*

Frozen 11

Tenet 11*

MBFGW 10

TFA 9

BP/TDK/THG/JWTTJ/Zootopia/Chicago/HTTYD/Spiderverse/GoneGirl/TheOthers 8

NWH going for I guess 13-14, maybe just 12.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

ERC has leaned into some sort of "box office with attitude" persona that works for Twitter engagement, I guess. I find all their takes to be harsh if not outright wrong and uniformly worthless. I wasn't in love with Licorice Pizza but if you read ERC's weekly takes, it's been the worst flop ever for a couple of months. Except the part where it's ultimately not going to make significantly less than the average PTA movie did before the pandemic, which IMO is a huge win, considering the overall box office landscape for adult dramas since 2020.

exactly. Plus it’s hardly got stars leading it. Haim is one within her own field, but she’s hardly a household name for moviegoers. It’s done fine in the current climate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Don't Worry Darling can also be a hit due to Harry Styles

If they reshot the movie completely. Word on the street is that it tested terribly. 

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Don't Worry, darling  has bomb written all over it. UNDER 5M total

probably not that low but it could be Last Night In Soho.

Neither of the actors is a boxoffice draw. Dunkirk skewed older and Nolan is a bigger movie draw than Styles. Doubtful that middle age and older audience that flocked to Dunkirk cause they miss WW2 movies knows who Styles is. or care.

Little Women was a hit because it's based on a popular book. Not because of actors that GA has never heard of. Being in a franchise (Marvel, Star Wars) also doesn't mean that fans will follow actors' non-franchise projects. There are no new stars but relics of the past eras (Leo, Dwayne, Denzel, etc). The brand is now the star.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4