Eric S'ennui

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

This looks fantastic for the weekend. Dog is really impressive. it's not just the big blockbusters making money this weekend. although Uncharted is kind of surprising. Heard it was ok. wish they really tried to make it great. but I'll probably go see it now. with lowered expectations.  

Last year presidents day weekend was at $10m3d /$12m4d. this puts it at around $90m3d/ $103m 4d. fantastic improvement and almost pre-covid numbers. I have a feeling the difference is only going to get smaller the closer we get to spring/Summer. 

(Pres day 2020 was at $163m/$182m so yeah we still got always to go. but it's operating at almost 60% this weekend it's been closer to 45%/ 50% all winter, still a massive improvement all year, as opposed to winter 2021, although most theaters had restrictions then or were closed completely. theaters are at full capacity expect some places in Canada I believe)

• Like 1

Honestly the box office is in a nice lil recovery but I worry that the dire lack of non-Batman releases could place immense pressure on Lost City alone to keep the narrative strong and not reverse the headlines.

At this point, people are not avoiding theaters because of COVID, but because of the changing habits of streaming and shortened windows. I am convinced.

• Like 3

Spider-Man: No Way Home grossed an estimated $8.1M internationally this weekend. Estimated international total stands at $1.06B, estimated global total through Sunday stands at $1.83B.

#SpiderManNoWayHome #BoxOffice @SonyPictures @SpiderManMovie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Honestly the box office is in a nice lil recovery but I worry that the dire lack of non-Batman releases could place immense pressure on Lost City alone to keep the narrative strong and not reverse the headlines.

At this point, people are not avoiding theaters because of COVID, but because of the changing habits of streaming and shortened windows. I am convinced.

People just have to get back in the habit of going out. lots of older people are still scarred or are just out of the habit of going out and doing things like that. I expect that to be more of a gradually recovery. films for adult audiences may not go back to pre-pandemic numbers in general. (thanks to streaming mostly) but I'm sure there will be outliers, and I still expect an improvement from where we are now. maybe 80/90 percent of what they used to be. most older geared films are still performing at about 50/60 percent. 

• Like 2

Damn, the past half a year or so sure is making me look like a fucking clown. Free Guy, Dune, Ghostbusters (at least domestically anyway) and now Uncharted. I thought all of these would underperform or outright flop.

Not entirely happy that Holland is our Drake going forward, but this is nonetheless a great sign for PlayStation properties on film.

KNACK CINEMATIC UNIVERSE, HERE WE COME :Venom:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

32 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

That is why 45 days or 17 days window is total bullshit. I just can’t understand why rushing to streaming, a platform you got to stay forever? 

Hope for more flexible approach like between 45-60 days or even 75 for some mega grosser like NWH depending gross size or legs. Even if they have a streaming date, don’t announce it upfront so that potential audience will not have incentive to wait for streaming.  

Edited by titanic2187

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The way things are going, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Morbius unironically becomes a hit.

Happy Jared Leto GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

#MORBIUSSWEEP

It’s destined to hit since day one. The literal second the masses see the “Marvel” name, they instantly turn into robots and flock to it. You could put the Marvel logo in front of Caligula and people will turn out to record numbers.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Fantastic starts for both Uncharted and Dog! Both beating even their high ends of tracking. I knew Uncharted was going to do well after its performance here in the UK last week. 

Some great drops for some of the holdovers too. Scream at $77m with another drop in the 30% range. Excellent. 

23 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

That is why 45 days or 17 days window is total bullshit. I just can’t understand why rushing to streaming, a platform you got to stay forever? 

Hope for more flexible approach like between 45-60 days or even 75 for some mega grosser like NWH depending gross size or legs. Even if they have a streaming date, don’t announce it upfront so that potential audience will not have incentive to wait for streaming.  

I think the 17 days window was a 2021 thing and it's pretty much dead now.

I think 45 days is still a bit short but it's not really bad either. Plus, a couple of movies last year still had soft drops even when they were available in PVOD, for example No Time To Die and Ghostbusters

60 days IMO should be the new norm

• Like 1

Close to $20m in TV ads for Uncharted. Dog not far behind with $16.3m in TV spots. 

WB has already spent $26m on The Batman spots. 

“In theaters, Dog trailered on movies such as Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Licorice Pizza, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Matrix Resurrections, Sing 2, The King’s Man, Scream, Jackass Forever among others. There was a custom silence your cell phone PSA with Tatum and Lulu on screen at select circuits”

Maybe Dog’s opening isn’t as surprising as I thought. Still good though.

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Drake said:

It’s destined to hit since day one. The literal second the masses see the “Marvel” name, they instantly turn into robots and flock to it. You could put the Marvel logo in front of Caligula and people will turn out to record numbers.

Except if the movie is Fant4stic

• Haha 1