Eric the Ape

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

I think Godzilla Minus One proved it is possible to make a Godzilla/King Kong movie in which the humans can add to the experience, instead of subtract (which has been the main criticism this entire time of the Hollywood produced movies, despite - or perhaps because - they've been attracting rather overqualified actors for the material). Who knows, maybe they've just been hiring folks who just don't have a movie of that level of quality in them, I dunno, that's for someone else to argue over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheBoxOffice said:

Everyone knows those guys aren’t connected to reality. They went in to a movie called Godzilla x Kong expecting the Godfather and get personally offended when it isn’t. 

This is silly. They went in expecting not to be bored when the monsters weren't on-screen, there's a difference.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Can’t the “it’s just meant to be dumb spectacle” defense be applied to the Michael Bay Transformers films as well? People have still ragged on those for the better part of 15 years. 

To be fair, these movies definitely lack the obnoxious attempts at humor that made those flicks impossible to endure at times (and are automatically better because of it).

Edited by filmlover

I find it interestring how Monsterverse has, historically, gotten way better reviews than Transformers. 3/5 movies being above 74% is crazy considering how Transformers was averaging like 20% until Bumblebee.

Worst of Monsterverse is better than most of Bayformers.

I would say that Transformers would've been as good as Monsterverse had they avoided extra focus on sexual innuendos, rasict jokes, and actually making transformers distinguishable from each other.

Monsterverse for most part is straightforward, atleast you can see different monsters look distinguished from each other, action is clearer and less sex & rasicm.

Also no I'm standing below the scrotum of enemy stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I find it interestring how Monsterverse has, historically, gotten way better reviews than Transformers. 3/5 movies being above 74% is crazy considering how Transformers was averaging like 20% until Bumblebee.

123 mins

118 mins

132 mins

113 mins

115 mins

vs.

144 mins

149 mins

154 mins

165 mins

154 mins

There's something to be said for pacing and not exhausting the audience.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Worst of Monsterverse is better than most of Bayformers.

I would say that Transformers would've been as good as Monsterverse had they avoided extra focus on sexual innuendos, rasict jokes, and actually making transformers distinguishable from each other.

Monsterverse for most part is straightforward, atleast you can see different monsters look distinguished from each other, action is clearer and less sex & rasicm.

Also no I'm standing below the scrotum of enemy stuff.

All this and also the longest one of these MonsterVerse movies is 132 minutes long, coincidentally by far the worst received of the series so far. Everything else either doesn't cross or barely crosses 2 hours. Those Bay movies are challenging you to stick with them for waaay longer.

5 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

123 mins

118 mins

132 mins

113 mins

115 mins

vs.

144 mins

149 mins

154 mins

165 mins

154 mins

There's something to be said for pacing and not exhausting the audience.

This is a very good point. I think one reason why Transformers 4 was the breaking point for audiences (every TF movie after that grossed less and less) was that it had no business whatsoever to be 2 1/2 hours long.

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Then why is Godzilla Minus One the most acclaimed Godzilla film in ages? Did people stop wanting dumb fun because it was japanese?

Yeah, I agree that you shouldn't expect to get Citizen Kane out of a disaster movie. But I sure as fuck don't think anyone is walking out of the theater upset if they do get Citizen Kane out of it, so to speak.

It's the most acclaimed because that's what they set out to do, and accomplished it.

King Kong is wearing a power glove. I don't think they were setting out to make Godzilla Minus One. And I think both are valid forms of movies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Can’t the “it’s just meant to be dumb spectacle” defense be applied to the Michael Bay Transformers films as well? People have still ragged on those for the better part of 15 years. 

Where Bay's Transformers movies really fun though? Maybe the first one but after that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Where Bay's Transformers movies really fun though? Maybe the first one but after that?

Personally, the only MonsterVerse film I’d consider particularly “fun” is Kong: Skull Island. GvK is a little too mindless for my taste, and the action doesn’t have much weight to it, in my opinion. 

Godzilla has a serious, ambitious side. Movies like the original, Shin Godzilla, Minus One or the 2014 film.

Godzilla also has a silly, light-hearted side. The Showa era films, most of the Millenium films, the Monsterverse since Skull Island.

As ive said before, i think this aspect of the character and the franchise - that it can work in the most different of tones and concepts imaginable - is maybe the main reason why Godzilla has stayed so relevant and popular all these decades.

Im extremely glad that Minus One was made and has been so acclaimed. And im also very glad that i will see a completely bonkers and silly action movie when i watch GxK in theaters.

As someone who loves both these sides of the series, i coudnt be happier.

• Like 6

Problem I have with the It's only a dumb spectacle defense is that it amounts to a defense of bad writing.

I don't get why you can't have a halfway decent script and sitll have all the elements you expect in a Godzilla/Kong movie. I wish the producers of this kind of film would pay at least a fraction of attention to the writing that they do the SFX.

Of course I know the answer: they think a good script does not matter with this kind of film. and they may be right.

As C.S. Lewis said, we are far too easily pleased.

• Like 1

I just got out of it and had a great time, nowhere near among my faves but it's very fun. Never reaches the heights of GvK or other MV films (it never blew me away or had a particularly standout moment) but its one of the most consistent, all killer no filler. SO MUCH monster stuff, there are long 5-10 min stretches with zero dialogue, just monsters roaring at each other. 

Monsterverse Ranking:

1. King of the Monsters (my beloved)

2. Kong: Skull Island

3. Godzilla vs. Kong

4. Godzilla x Kong

5. Godzilla (2014)

I like ALL of them mind you.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Godzilla has a serious, ambitious side. Movies like the original, Shin Godzilla, Minus One or the 2014 film.

Godzilla also has a silly, light-hearted side. The Showa era films, most of the Millenium films, the Monsterverse since Skull Island.

As ive said before, i think this aspect of the character and the franchise - that it can work in the most different of tones and concepts imaginable - is maybe the main reason why Godzilla has stayed so relevant and popular all these decades.

Im extremely glad that Minus One was made and has been so acclaimed. And im also very glad that i will see a completely bonkers and silly action movie when i watch GxK in theaters.

As someone who loves both these sides of the series, i coudnt be happier.

I'd disagree, KoTM has more in common with 2014 and Skull Island then it does GvK or GxK. I'd get into it but I don't want to bog the thread down in an unrelated movie.

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'd disagree, KoTM has more in common with 2014 and Skull Island then it does GvK or GxK. I'd get into it but I don't want to bog the thread down in an unrelated movie.

I know what you mean (GvK and very probabaly GxK as well lean heavily into nonsensical fantasy elements), while KotM definetly feels more aline in tone with G14. But Skull Island id say already had many elements of a silly adventure movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I know what you mean (GvK and very probabaly GxK as well lean heavily into nonsensical fantasy elements), while KotM definetly feels more aline in tone with G14. But Skull Island id say already had many elements of a silly adventure movie.

I feel like if I were to describe it, G-2014 is Phase 1 MCU (Or MoS & BvS if you want to go DC), K:SI and KoTM are like Phase 2 MCU (Or ZS JL DC wise), GvK is like Ant-Man & The Wasp or Thor Ragnarok Phase 3 MCU, and GxK from a lot of accounts is Phase 4 MCU. It's a consistent slide into bigger and more outlandish stuff with the tone getting sillier and sillier.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Finally entered the rotten territory 

59% with 111 reviews 

Still very hard to understand why WB hide it until the last minute, this is a very acceptable reception for a movie like this lol. They embargoed like it’s a Madame Web or something 

• Like 3