Eric the Ape

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

27 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Well well well..... 

RDT-20240327-0700068000477468966561009.w

Good for them 

60-65M OW DOM seems quite likely

50M OW on China also seems likely

Not really sure what to expect elsewhere but should be strong in Asia / LATAM at least 

Unless the WOM is toxic should try 500M, which would lock a sequel with this relatively small budget 

32 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I don't buy this. There's no way it cost significantly less than at least Dune 2 with all of the huge CGI setpieces we've seen.

Less money for human cast, with around 60 minutes if only Monster screen time, there's less dialogues and screentime for people.

Plus cast is smaller, you have main 3-4 People you see in trailer and that's all, rest are extras.

34 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I don't buy this. There's no way it cost significantly less than at least Dune 2 with all of the huge CGI setpieces we've seen.

It's an hour shorter than DUNE 2.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

The human characters are somehow a bit worse than the last movie (to be fair to the cast the script is just bad) but feels like they aren't as prominent at least. Kong is the anchor of the movie and the star of the show. Godzilla is more like a sidekick and isn't as featured as the trailer suggests. Great visuals and fights once it finally gets going. Forgettable soundtrack besides one moment. 

I think the last movie was probably better executed, but GxK is still entertaining for any Titan fans. 

Yeah pretty much exactly what I expected. Reviews matter to me cause I want this do well, but tbh I think it's impossible for me not to enjoy a Godzilla movie. They'd have to develop brand new levels of cinematic doghsit that I can't even imagine or completely bamboozle me and get rid of all the monsters. 

Tomorrow can't come soon enough! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Why does Mendelson say that Legendary believes GXK won't break out in China? I haven't followed China's box office recently. 

Mendelson Confirms Budget

I think by breakout they mean 200 something, even with good pre sales expectations are 50 million opening and 110-115 million lifetime.

Which is while good for current situation, is hardly a breakout.

Breakout here would mean 180-200 or even more.

• Thanks 1

The CGI has been looking mediocre (absolute trash in some scenes) so I kinda believe that budget.

Impressive how only Marvel has managed to do 200m+ movies that look way cheaper than recent tentpoles with way less budget. 

Good for the studios figuring out how to save money I guess, but I do want to push back on the idea that it should be the top concern for an outside observer. I can only hope that $135 mil included fair wages and conditions for the laborers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It filmed in Australia which I believe offers 30% tax credit