Eric the Ape

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

Godzilla 2014 is cool and direction is stellar . Even have no problem with the serious tone. My only issue is this its keep  cutting away from fight scenes. Gareth Edwards sets the scenes ,the atmosphere and literally cuts away .so fucking frustrating. The moment he gives us the action , it's so dark and we just don't see enough to enjoy to its fullest.

kOTM though giving as more action , tries to play it serious while character stuff is too dumb and one of the character motivations in this is so nonsensical and they try to play it straight. Godzilla 2014 has serious tone and maintains it all through.

KOTM even tries to grab at our heart strings with 2 character deaths ,but it doesn't work bse don't really care about them. This movie is really dragged down by the human plot 

Kong skull island is the most balanced and still my favorite.lots of silly action but characters are well balanced, not Oscar level  but serviceable enough and there is some chemistry atleast and not just exposition machines or vessels for dumb shit to happen.  2014 also doesn't have dumb characters and they are serviceable but Brain Cranston dies early and rest of characters are just there, nothing  to latch onto .with the added baggage of little Godzilla action

GVK has dumb ass shit and they know it ,not trying to play it straight or serious . Lots of mayhem .hollow earth scene was so absurd and I loved every second of it . This movie knows what it is and fully embraces it.

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

GVK has dumb ass shit and they know it ,not trying to play it straight or serious . Lots of mayhem .hollow earth scene was so absurd and I loved every second of it . This movie knows what it is and fully embraces it.

This is why I have enjoyed the last two the most. They just embrace it 100%. Also Kong is my guy

Movie fucking flaps.

1. Ridiculous world building 
  2. Atrocious dialogue 
  3. So many stupid looking monkeys 
  4. Whole scenes of huge Kaiju just grunting at each other like it's normal dialogue 
  5. Badass fights 
  6. Destroyed like 3 wonders of the world

I've never booked round 2 tickets so quickly. Pump this shit out every 4 years and I will be there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

On 2/28/2024 at 7:30 PM, M37 said:

Moving this conversation where it belongs (not in the tracking thread).  Also FYI, its a bit of overkill to tag Shawn directly every time the BOP projections are discussed; he'll read through the thread

My simple retort is Transformers Rise of the Beats outgrossing the previous installment in the "dying franchise" by 21% despite a crowded summer and 1 week of PLFs. But I think its less about this specific film, and just that there has been virtually nothing for the action GA crowd for months! Aquaman floated on that void in the market, and the closest since then was probably Beekeeper

Sometimes an itch just needs to be scratched, and while I think Dune II is going to do very well, its not going to be the fix some audience is looking for given the demo skew of the previous film

This is a great argument for GXK blowing up

And yeah to add, the last live-action GA appealing action movie that didn't flop was Guardians 3 from 11 months ago. So yeah it's definitely an "itch that needs to be scratched" 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

I’m debating if I should go see this. It might be a decent way to kill a couple of hours, but I’m worried that the crowd will be disruptive. This seems like the kind of movie that would attract some fairly obnoxious moviegoers. Even Dune was like that. 

Edited by WittyUsername

As one of the people who probably focuses on the MV a bit too much compared to other franchises on this board, this might be surprising.

Put me in the minority of people who didn't have that much fun with it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 3/28/2024 at 8:26 PM, SaltyPistola said:

Movie fucking flaps.

1. Ridiculous world building 
  2. Atrocious dialogue 
  3. So many stupid looking monkeys 
  4. Whole scenes of huge Kaiju just grunting at each other like it's normal dialogue 
  5. Badass fights 
  6. Destroyed like 3 wonders of the world

I've never booked round 2 tickets so quickly. Pump this shit out every 4 years and I will be there. 

^This guy gets it

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Have to say, not enough people giving this movie credit for having so much dialogue-less ape on ape interaction. Like it contains almost as much as Dawn imo.

And with no subtitles too!