Eric Duncan

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

12 hours ago, AJG said:

It didn't. They outsourced the animation to studios all over the world and paid the animators barely anything. Just like Sony and Illumination. 

I was really baffled over why a bunch of Hollywood people (who were on strike for 6 months) praised TOHO instead of actually questioning just how they were able to produce Godzilla Minus One on the budget they gave it.

This myth feels close to racism at this point. Instead of just celebrating the hard work of a small team who was very passionate and had great leader, it MUST be a vfx sweatshop where they were taken from their families and chained to a desk to make the big lizard shoot blue stuff in time for release. Where was this energy for Monsters, EEATO or The Creator or the countless films from the West that get celebrated for their small budgets and impressive visuals? We've been shown proof this wasn't the case and yet people will still spread lies. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Not a great start in South Korea, but the country has never loved the monsterverse so.

For what it's worth, I don't think Godzilla has ever been particularly loved in South Korea anyway.

Can't speak for King Kong.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Post Minus One, everyone is like, Hollywood should learn from Japan & Toho.

Believe me, they shouldn't. 

Lol, if a Japanese production costs 15m, there some be some labour abuse going on here but please remember, the 200m marvel films didn’t stop VFX artist in Hollywood to voice out against their exploitation too. 

People act like working environment with Hollywood is any much better because of their massive 200m budget but the reality is, it is just isn’t. Negative news continue to surface or got worse here too in Hollywood

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

In anticipation for this movie, I finished the Monarch series and was pleasantly surprised. Has there been any word on a season 2?

So far, no official announcement of a season 2 pick up.

• Sad 1

I literally disagree people only care about monsters / creatures and could ignore anything else. Remember that one of the best creature movie Jurassic Park only have 9 mins CGI dinosaurs scenes and 6 mins electron model scenes. It’s never about more and more VFX. It’s always about emotional experience. 

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

I literally disagree people only care about monsters / creatures and could ignore anything else. Remember that one of the best creature movie Jurassic Park only have 9 mins CGI dinosaurs scenes and 6 mins electron model scenes. It’s never about more and more VFX. It’s always about emotional experience. 

I do agree with you that even these movies need an emotional core that makes you care about the carnage thats happening on screen. However, i think GvK showed that this core musnt be necessarily be found with the human characters. King Kong was by all accounts the protagonist of GvK and the most empathetic character (along with the deaf girl) and it seemed to have worked.

And with GxK now, Kong probably remains that emotional core and protagonist. After all, audiences will have an easier time rooting for a nearly human-like giant ape than a big lizard.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

The response I got was "gayer than Venom" lol

GLAAD gonna have a tough time choosing Movie of 2024 between Godzilla x Kong and that Paul Mescal/Josh O'Connor movie that'll probably break the Internet. Call Me by Your What? Carol Who?

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I do agree with you that even these movies need an emotional core that makes you care about the carnage thats happening on screen. However, i think GvK showed that this core musnt be necessarily be found with the human characters. King Kong was by all accounts the protagonist of GvK and the most empathetic character (along with the deaf girl) and it seemed to have worked.

And with GxK now, Kong probably remains that emotional core and protagonist. After all, audiences will have an easier time rooting for a nearly human-like giant ape than a big lizard.

I think that's the point of difference between Jurassic and Monsterverse.

Monsterverse can have likes of Kong do the emotional heavy lifting, for Jurassic you can kill the Brachiosaurus, but you'll still need people to do some lifting.

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

When was the last time a big studio release had the embargo drop this late in the game? 

Didn't the final Michael Bay Transformers movie drop its embargo right as the movie was starting on the East Coast?

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

When was the last time a big studio release had the embargo drop this late in the game? 

I think The Nun 2 

And the reviews wasn’t even that bad lol

Started in the 60’s and finished in the 50’s

Mainland China Forecast

@Maoyan

Friday - ¥91.677M / $12.7M

Saturday - ¥121M / $16.7M

Sunday - ¥90.229M / $12.5M

Final - ¥762M / $105M

@Taopaiopaio

Friday - ¥99.163M / $13.7M

Saturday - ¥137M / $18.9M

Sunday - ¥102M / $14.1M

Final - ¥909M / $126M

• Like 2

Darn… so not even the Monsterverse is immune to Hollywood drops in China. It’ll have to make up elsewhere which looks like it’ll be here in the states. I think between 500-550 worldwide is reasonable.