Eric Loves Rey

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Good for the studios figuring out how to save money I guess, but I do want to push back on the idea that it should be the top concern for an outside observer. I can only hope that $135 mil included fair wages and conditions for the laborers.

It didn't. They outsourced the animation to studios all over the world and paid the animators barely anything. Just like Sony and Illumination. 

I was really baffled over why a bunch of Hollywood people (who were on strike for 6 months) praised TOHO instead of actually questioning just how they were able to produce Godzilla Minus One on the budget they gave it.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

It didn't. They outsourced the animation to studios all over the world and paid the animators barely anything. Just like Sony and Illumination. 

I was really baffled over why a bunch of Hollywood people (who were on strike for 6 months) praised TOHO instead of actually questioning just how they were able to produce Godzilla Minus One on the budget they gave it.

Post Minus One, everyone is like, Hollywood should learn from Japan & Toho.

Believe me, they shouldn't. 

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I've read that its opening day is around 40% higher than the first one's. That seems good to me, unless I'm missing context.

Didn't that open at the height of the pandemic?

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Didn't that open at the height of the pandemic?

Pandemic didn't affect everywhere equally, although idk how much SK was affected. 

Edited by Bob Train

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I've read that its opening day is around 40% higher than the first one's. That seems good to me, unless I'm missing context.

I'm not sure how exact Luiz's numbers are, but here's what he has posted.

9 hours ago, AJG said:

This has been explained numerous times by the VFX team themselves. It was a small team and the director himself was part of it. No one was mistreated. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AJG said:

I think from here on out i will quote Yamazaki every time someone brings this false information (in regards specifically to Minus One) up:

According to Yamazaki, the visual effects team was not mistreated, having avoided working long hours on the film, and they installed a kitchen in the studio to make it "more comfortable and cozy". Moreover, he explained there are two categories of animation studios in Japan: "white" and "black", with "black" studios being the exploiters; the name of the film's visual effects studio, Shirogumi, literally means "white team" in Japanese

• Like 4

I'm a bit confused—when is the review embargo supposed to drop? I had previously seen 6AM March 28th, but apparently the time zone was in Australia, which equated to noon PT on March 27th. And that's what this reddit post (below) lists "(Mar. 27) Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Review Embargo lifts (noon (12 PM) PST)". But reviews aren't out. Is the embargo actually 6am March 28, but a different time zone?

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I'm not sure how exact Luiz's numbers are, but here's what he has posted.

Anything over GvK is good considering it did 476 million overall.

China would be less but an increase in rest of the markets would put it in good position.

Considering 3 out of the 4 Monster/Monarch verse movies are fresh on RT not sure what WB is afraid of here. Unless they expect worse reviews than King Of Monsters. GVK is 76% and that is dumb as a box of rocks and the human characters are pointless so unless they went way overboard with it this time can't see the reviews being that much worse.

Anecdotal but my friend just saw it tonight at a preview screening. He's very much a "casual" fan, mostly just familiar with the Monsterverse and Minus One. And they absolutely loved it, put it as the 2nd best MV film after Skull Island. Could bode well for GA WOM if that's indicative?

Just now, TheDude391 said:

Anecdotal but my friend just saw it tonight at a preview screening. He's very much a "casual" fan, mostly just familiar with the Monsterverse and Minus One. And they absolutely loved it, put it as the 2nd best MV film after Skull Island. Could bode well for GA WOM if that's indicative?

Ask your friend how gay it is. 👀 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Considering 3 out of the 4 Monster/Monarch verse movies are fresh on RT not sure what WB is afraid of here. Unless they expect worse reviews than King Of Monsters. GVK is 76% and that is dumb as a box of rocks and the human characters are pointless so unless they went way overboard with it this time can't see the reviews being that much worse.

I think GvK got some leeway for being first popcorn movie after Pandemic by critics, in general i would say that it would've gotten bit more harsher criticism.

And GvK is infact more crazy and all out than that. And no, I'm not using words like goofy or silly, i prefer to call it Over the Top.