Eric Duncan

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire | March 29, 2024 | They're boyfriends now

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

This kinda makes no sense considering that the only "goofy" Phase 4 movie is Thor Love and Thunder

You wouldn't call Quantumania or The Marvels goofy? 

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You wouldn't call Quantumania or The Marvels goofy? 

Not really. Quantumania was wayyyyy too serious for an Ant-man movie and I only saw like 40 minutes of The Marvels before I got bored but nothing in it I would call remotely goofy. At least not on the level of Kong riding on Godzilla's back.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not really. Quantumania was wayyyyy too serious for an Ant-man movie and I only saw like 40 minutes of The Marvels before I got bored but nothing in it I would call remotely goofy. At least not on the level of Kong riding on Godzilla's back.

I think a planet that only communicates through song so there's an impromptu musical segment is equally as goofy, if not more, then Kong riding on Godzilla's back.

Godzilla, SPOILER and Kong do a crazy menage a trois in the Hollow Earth. The audience was jizzing all over the screen. What a movie. 

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Godzilla, SPOILER and Kong do a crazy menage a trois in the Hollow Earth. The audience was jizzing all over the screen. What a movie. 

So you liked it? :)

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Still very hard to understand why WB hide it until the last minute

The wanted to ensure a fresh rating for the majority of Thursday screenings across DOM! :sparta:

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

this is a very acceptable reception for a movie like this lol. They embargoed like it’s a Madame Web or something 

This Isn't the first time a distributor has misjudged what they have and it won't be the last.  Usually it's in the Overconfident of What They Have direction, but you've been around long enough to see it go in the other direction.

Remember what happened with Annihilation? Everyone here thought it was a classic dump job from Paramount only for it to turn out to be a minor critical darling.

Now in their defense, Annihilation is a Weird As Fuck movie and very much An Acquired Taste, so in a way, I don't blame Paramount for thinking they had a steaming pile of crap on their hands. On the other hand, GxK might very well be An Acquired Taste... just in a much different way.

So, yeah, they just misjudged what they had.  LOL WB.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The wanted to ensure a fresh rating for the majority of Thursday screenings across DOM! :sparta:

This Isn't the first time a distributor has misjudged what they have and it won't be the last.  Usually it's in the Overconfident of What They Have direction, but you've been around long enough to see it go in the other direction.

Remember what happened with Annihilation? Everyone here thought it was a classic dump job from Paramount only for it to turn out to be a minor critical darling.

Now in their defense, Annihilation is a Weird As Fuck movie and very much An Acquired Taste, so in a way, I don't blame Paramount for thinking they had a steaming pile of crap on their hands. On the other hand, GxK might very well be An Acquired Taste... just in a much different way.

So, yeah, they just misjudged what they had.  LOL WB.

Also admittedly, the top critic rating is atrocious. This is just one of the biggest RT divides in a while. Among every critic it's almost 30% higher.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Also admittedly, the top critic rating is atrocious. This is just one of the biggest RT divides in a while. Among every critic it's almost 30% higher.

Yes, I was sorta kinda alluding to that discrepancy when I called it plausibly An Acquired Taste, in a much different way.

The thing is, I suspect most folks in the whatever marketing departments that decide such things as embargo dates are probably closer to Taste In Movies of your bog-standard Top Critic than Joe and Jane Blogger.  Sure, movies like Annihilation would be a blind spot as it's too far into the cinephile realm for them. 

On the other hand venture too far into the vox populi realm... 

Well, we'll see where it ultimately lands, but a more Showa-era inspired 'zilla film is probably precisely the type of film to land in a marketing department's blind spot (in such a way that a similarly goofy film with more of a DOM IP-based property wouldn't have been — even if it got similar RT scores).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

This movie is plenty flawed and is begging to be a 90 minute film with all the needless setup and exposition that takes up the human storyline but damn I had a huge grin on my face during a lot of the monster scenes, the climax is just so much fun. When it's good it's very, very good.

• Like 7

Funny enough the two movies in the Monsterverse with the worse critic reviews, this and KotM, are my favorites in the MV. A good time. My kids loved it, and actually was quite a bit of kids at my showing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

So you liked it? :)

The final 30 minutes are incredible. Should have trimmed it down a bit to get there faster tho. Overall I would recommend it.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Still very hard to understand why WB hide it until the last minute, this is a very acceptable reception for a movie like this lol. They embargoed like it’s a Madame Web or something 

Seems like they were worried about Meg 2 type of reception, and/or still feeling burned by "greatest superhero movie of all time" in Flash

When WB believes they have a hit (Dune II, Wonka, Barbie, etc), they'll get reviews out early, but if its iffy, will hold as long as possible

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

I believe that's the GxxxK version

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

My screening was packed, enjoyed it though. Got claps and cheers, lol. I hope it does well though. ❤️

We needa bring back FUN movies like this.

Yeah my showing had an audience very into the movie. Great movie experience! 

3 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Yeah, my showing had an audience very into the movie. Great movie experience! 

Mine was too! There were a lot of laughs and reactions, it was good to have an experience like that again. Don't get those anymore. Glad you and the family enjoyed it, bb. ❤️

Love the colors in the movie, tehe. Stan TWICE, bb. :)

I´m 100% watching this 1-2 more in the theater, because those monster fights really is a joy and it´s so entertaining. Really want another one or two of this from Wingard. While the human stuff is the human stuff I think Rebecca Hall´s character and Kaylee Hottle´s is easily the most interesting human character they have.