YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

It’s not my fault if nonIP is often underwhelming financially. I’m happy to go after IP flops as well and I do so plenty, along with praising positive performance from IP or nonIP as appropriate. I don’t really have an emotional investment in the state of the industry being what it is, but I’m here for numbers — I’m not gonna ignore or sugarcoat the dire financial situation of some movies just to make some people who like them feel better 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That's his wish if he wanna posts/remark on anything. Why bother?

It doesn’t add for accurate discussion when there seems to be an apparent bias judging and influencing said remarks. I can put aside my opinions and make an honest post, it’s not difficult. For example, I don’t think every MCU thing looks great but I’ll be the first to say a certain film will make a lot of money when there’s evidence, etc. But I aim to keep my opinions out of these specific threads when it comes to talk of the actual numbers. I haven’t even seen Ambulance, only found it weird that someone who immediately dismisses said films would make a claim so outrageous about Universal dumping it when more points to the contrary. Nobody else found that post weird? I just want to honestly engage in a box office discussion. So it’s my wish to call out or mention it, no? 

Just now, Dragoncaine said:

As someone who doesn't love much of Bay's work, I found Ambulance to be a lot of fun, the right kind of melodramatic and hilariously over the top despite being 20-25 minutes too long. Shame it's bombing.

It's ironically well-reviewed by his standards, too. 55 Metacritic (Sonic 2 has 47 for example), 69% Rotten Tomatoes (higher than Sonic 2 there, too), 88% RT Audience and A- cinemascore. Too bad it didn't take off because audiences actually seem to enjoy it.. well, those who are seeing it.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Feel like Lost City is having a pretty eh run given its OW. Two 45%+ drops in a row means 100M is dead. Good for the current market, but we still have a long way to go.

I was hoping the adventure tone like will capture some family business but the weekend bump have been standard and nothing like uncharted or other more family friendly titles. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Feel like Lost City is having a pretty eh run given its OW. Two 45%+ drops in a row means 100M is dead. Good for the current market, but we still have a long way to go.

Isn't it only down 39% this weekend? 

The audience reception is pretty muted, so it's not surprising. B+ cinemascore, for example

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

530k previews, so about 2m or so. Green Knight had a 2.8m total Friday but also 1000 more theaters. 6.7m weekend. I guess 6m can happen for this. Pretty good. 

If EEAAO had opened in 1000 more theaters how much would it have made?

PTA of 2 million over 1250 theaters is 1600. So I guess it would have added about 1.6 million for a 3.6 million total Friday?

Yeah LC 100 was a little in doubt once it missed the A-. This weekend looks fine for it, Morbius should shield it from too steep screen loss next weekend :hahaha:

Speaking of:

wk1 47M

wk2 11.5M

wk3 4.5M

rest 5M

Would miss 1.75x 😳

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

38 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

If EEAAO had opened in 1000 more theaters how much would it have made?

PTA of 2 million over 1250 theaters is 1600. So I guess it would have added about 1.6 million for a 3.6 million total Friday?

More or less same. Just adding more cinemas doesn't mean more box office every time. It would have probably done similar on 500 cinemas.

I think history of expansions suggests quite clearly that it would be making a fair bit less on 500 and a fair bit more on 2200. It's a small enough theater count that you have actual "I want to go but no theaters near me" situations rather than just 4 instead of 3 nearby, which don't really matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I think history of expansions suggests quite clearly that it would be making a fair bit less on 500 and a fair bit more on 2200. It's a small enough theater count that you have actual "I want to go but no theaters near me" situations rather than just 4 instead of 3 nearby, which don't really matter.

I think its more important how many cities you cover instead of how many number of cinemas. With $1.4M on 1250 locs, it is likely 500+ of them would have gross less than $100 for each. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cap said:

Armageddon is a masterpiece. 

(as is the door editing in this fan vid)

I asked audiences why it was easier to flock to theaters to see Sonic than it was to see a new original Michael Bay movie and they told me to shut--shut--shut the fuck up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Scream, Jackass Forever, The Lost City, Sonic 2. Next up for Paramount is Top Gun. Excellent start to the year for them! 

Universal, on the other hand, having a horrific start to 2022 with Redeeming Love, Marry Me, The 355 and now Ambulance. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

So 2 out of like 25 and 1 that hasn’t been released yet and we don’t know what will look like?

Well Marvel Studios does let directors with a distinct style express themselves including James Gunn when the director has a distinct style.