AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Generative AI, in the way its being used in posters for this film, has not been with us for half a century. It's been with us for maybe two years, tops. There's nothing "practical" from a creative standpoint for a studio like A24 to be advertising a film using misleading artwork generated by AI and (possibly) cleaned-up by a human.

Like, even if you're okay with AI art, what's okay about advertising a film using shots that aren't even in the film, or even relevant? The film doesn't touch on potential AI manipulation in photojournalism, so why do these posters exist?

Well, Civil War would hardly be the first movie to advertise itself with imagery/scenes not in the actual film. 

I am sympathetic to the notion that AI needs to be regulated, transparent and ethically sourced, and manipulation in a legal context is a legit concern of mine, but I do feel like regardless of the industry "it's gonna kill jobs" is a rather flimsy line of rhetoric. It may very well help artists devote more of their time to crafting work that can't so easily be replicated by AI. Like, I know human emotions are a major limitation there, which is why with all those flashy test renders they show off their human models always have their back turned.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, Civil War would hardly be the first movie to advertise itself with imagery/scenes not in the actual film. 

I am sympathetic to the notion that AI needs to be regulated, transparent and ethically sourced, and manipulation in a legal context is a legit concern of mine, but I do feel like regardless of the industry "it's gonna kill jobs" is a rather flimsy line of rhetoric. It may very well help artists devote more of their time to crafting work that can't so easily be replicated by AI. Like, I know human emotions are a major limitation there, which is why with all those flashy test renders they show off their human models always have their back turned.

True, but then you would think, maybe the use of AI is tackled in the film and the posters are relevant as it relates to photojournalism. But neither AI or social media are topics the film broaches. These posters don't even make thematic sense.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
words

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I seen that swan poster somewhere ages ago. 

Would be funny if this was a bit. 

It definitely is. If these had come out prior to the film’s release and been used as key art for cinema quads and one sheets then I could understand the anger, but they’ve put them out a week after the film came out and aren’t using them anywhere other than social media where they’ve posted them once. It was definitely meant as a joke (maybe in bad taste all things considered, but still a joke).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

True, but then you would think, maybe the use of AI is tackled in the film and the posters are relevant as it relates to photojournalism. But neither AI or social media are topics the film broaches. These posters don't even make thematic sense.

How do the posters not make thematic sense? They literally depict classic military imagery on modern cities.

• Like 1

I think the missing macro observation is simply that posters are weirdly terrible and constantly just look incredibly cheap despite being one of the most visible pieces of marketing that will exist. Studios have clearly decided they don't really matter and looked to cut costs (and allow talent negotiations to dictate people are given significant prominence). Studios are trading a quick and cheap human created design for an AI one. 

48 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I think the missing macro observation is simply that posters are weirdly terrible and constantly just look incredibly cheap despite being one of the most visible pieces of marketing that will exist. Studios have clearly decided they don't really matter and looked to cut costs (and allow talent negotiations to dictate people are given significant prominence). Studios are trading a quick and cheap human created design for an AI one. 

Can you blame the studios for wanting to cut costs?

10 hours ago, Safeno Rdz said:

Can you blame the studios for wanting to cut costs?

Yes?

"Penny wise, pound foolish" is a(n often) forgotten truism for a reason.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

but they’ve put them out a week after the film came out and aren’t using them anywhere other than social media where they’ve posted them once.

Actually they posted it only on insta, but not on twitter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yes?

"Penny wise, pound foolish" is a(n often) forgotten truism for a reason.

I wonder as CGI costs for films go out of control and the CGI in new films looks complete crap will AI be used more..

Also I am sure they use computer programs anyways to generate models anyways which is like quasi AI? 

Like no joke the CGI in some films from 5-10 years ago looks better then CGI in current films and they had smaller budgets. 

Edited by Torontofan