Eric is Anxious

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire | March 22, 2024

43 year old here. 
Huge fan of the original two films. 
Liked Afterlife. Looking forward to Frozen Empire tomorrow. 

See there’s really good reviews.  See there’s really mixed to negative reviews too. 

Will form my own opinion rather than looking at a percentage. 
Sadly too many these days look at a percentage and then have an opinion on the film they haven’t watched. It’s par for the course these days, and not how it used to be at all. 

I agree the ‘percentage’ will have an impact on the box office opening weekend. Its importance to what you think of the film is irrelevant until you actually watch it for yourself. 

I’d wager everybody on here has movies they really love that have middling scores on RT. 

and all of this ‘Ghostbusters is irrelevant in 2024’ rhetoric. It might be to you, but it isn’t to me - never will be. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Meh. The original team isn't alive anymore and we already did what should have been the wrap up/homage to Ramis. Anything after that feels morbid.

The last movie felt morbid. That last scene where the girl was hugging that CGI dead man was insane.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

43 year old here. 
Huge fan of the original two films. 
Liked Afterlife. Looking forward to Frozen Empire tomorrow. 

See there’s really good reviews.  See there’s really mixed to negative reviews too. 

Will form my own opinion rather than looking at a percentage. 
Sadly too many these days look at a percentage and then have an opinion on the film they haven’t watched. It’s par for the course these days, and not how it used to be at all. 

I agree the ‘percentage’ will have an impact on the box office opening weekend. Its importance to what you think of the film is irrelevant until you actually watch it for yourself. 

I’d wager everybody on here has movies they really love that have middling scores on RT. 

and all of this ‘Ghostbusters is irrelevant in 2024’ rhetoric. It might be to you, but it isn’t to me - never will be. 

This is the problem the franchise has & was same with Indy.  It failed to gain a new generation of fans.  The majority of people who love ghostbusters are people who saw it as a kid in the 80s and now are in their 40-50s. 

Average RT rating from critics is 5.3 out of 10, RT score is 46%, Metacritic score is 46%. I think it really needed better scores to reach pass the fanbase that was going to see it no matter what. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

This is the problem the franchise has & was same with Indy.  It failed to gain a new generation of fans.  The majority of people who love ghostbusters are people who saw it as a kid in the 80s and now are in their 40-50s. 

Average RT rating from critics is 5.3 out of 10, RT score is 46%, Metacritic score is 46%. I think it really needed better scores to reach pass the fanbase that was going to see it no matter what. 

Totally. I might not like it tomorrow, but I’m hopeful I’ll find plenty there to make it worthwhile. 

My general point was dealing with those throwing out absolutes that the movie isn’t good, when they haven’t even seen it. They judge a film on aggregate scores - which is almost anti-film in my eyes and treating it like sport. 

So many beloved films from years ago wouldn’t have had great scores if they came out today in the RT obsessed environment we have to deal with now. 

I’m all over us discussing the box office as it pans out. Yet flat out dismissing the film before we’ve even seen it based on scores really does dismay so many posters on here that just don’t know how to engage with that kind of attitude. 

• Like 3

I agree that people have a nasty habit of taking Rotten Tomatoes scores as gospel. Unfortunately, Rotten Tomatoes often has the power to make or break a movie’s chances of success, so studios are basically at the mercy of a bunch of random bloggers. 

• Like 2

Blaming Rotten Tomatoes feels very 2017, at least when it comes to when unappealing movies underperform (I believe that year they tried something out that kept the RT score hidden for a few days after an embargo ended and ended up not lasting). Since the pandemic streaming has become the #1 scapegoat when any movie misses financial expectations.

• Like 1

I mean Afterlife is one of the worst blockbusters I've ever seen (Yes, I probably think it's worse than that movie you hate), and all the marketing materials and trailers make this look just as awful. If every single sign points to me that I'm going to have a miserable time, including words from people whose job is critiquing movies, then...yeah, I'm gonna take that word and probably expect it to be bad. Besides, this movie only exists as a corporate product designed to sell toys. I really don't think this is the movie we need to shame others for because they looked at a Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

To be clear, I have no interest in this movie. In fact, I think it looks like something that would bore me to death in the theater. I was more commenting in general on how much stock the Internet puts on Rotten Tomatoes, to the point where they let it influence their own opinions. 

• Thanks 1

I absolutely loved the Real Ghostbusters and enjoyed Afterlife. That said, they should have "banked the win" for Afterlife and tried to do a sequel NOT set in New York that had the new Ghostbusters traveling around the world to stop a new threat with the help of Winston (who bankrolls the team now, so it makes sense) and Janine. MAYBE do an opening set in NY and have the nostalgia stuff there before opening up the universe. Nobody was clammering for the return of Walter Peck and the Library Ghost could have been worked in for the new opener somehow.

I WOULD mark out for Rick Moranis showing up again as a Ghostbuster but that's clearly not happening, and Ramis can't appear anymore, so "the old team" is actually very limited now so I would prefer it be restricted to Winston himself as much as possible.

• Like 1

The original Ghostbusters is lame and not funny. The sequel was equally bad. Afterlife was awful. The 2016 film is the only one that’s any good.

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 4

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

The original Ghostbusters is lame and not funny. The sequel was equally bad. Afterlife was awful. The 2016 film is the only one that’s any good.

The weird cult following that 2016 reboot has on here, and almost nowhere else, will always perplex me a little. It also makes me take the disdain people here have for the franchise less seriously. I am not looking forward to this weekend's thread at all.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The weird cult following that 2016 reboot has on here, and almost nowhere else, will always perplex me a little. It also makes me take the disdain people here have for the franchise less seriously. I am not looking forward to this weekend's thread at all.

People can have opinions different than yours, hon.