Eric Prime

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 hour ago, BruiseCruise said:

@Porthoswhat kind of 3 day numbers did sac point to?

You'd have to ask others as I'm terrible at projecting out the OW, but @T-ReXXR had this projection off of a 19.5m preview:

15 hours ago, T-ReXXR said:

Going with $19.5M full previews (Tues/Weds/Thurs). Looks like Canada and some of the more "liberal" markets are underperforming a bit compared to "The Batman" but the flyover states seem to be holding right around it or even stronger. 

Going with 19.5 - 34 - 41 - 37 - 29 for the 4-Days. 

But this thing could be a WOM monster, so who knows.

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@Porthos why are you celebrated when it fell outside your range. Plus there were so many numbers in that post I dont know what is the real one.:-)

In his magnanimity of victory, The King shall forgive you for your transgress. 👍

(Party pooper. 😛 )

• Haha 1

In all seriousness, @keysersoze123, I noted to myself a couple of days ago that TGM was playing like a major CBM locally and not a traditional action flick (the pace against F9 and NTTD on Sun/Mon sealed it for me).

But the thing is, I couldn’t know major CBMs were the good comps to use until I actually got the results in, as Philly was sitting there. There was every possibility that Sacto was just nutty and it was more like F9/NTTD elsewhere, so I was giving explanations in advance.

Trust me tho.  Anything under 18.5, and I wouldn’t have been celebrating. ;)

(also, being .01 off?  Picky picky 😛)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

In all seriousness, @keysersoze123, I noted to myself a couple of days ago that TGM was playing like a major CBM locally and not a traditional action flick (the pace against F9 and NTTD on Sun/Mon sealed it for me).

But the thing is, I couldn’t know major CBMs were the good comps to use until I actually got the results in, as Philly was sitting there. There was every possibility that Sacto was just nutty and it was more like F9/NTTD elsewhere, so I was giving explanations in advance.

Trust me tho.  Anything under 18.5, and I wouldn’t have been celebrating. ;)

(also, being .01 off?  Picky picky 😛)

Paramount added .01 out of spite, we know you were bang-on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

We were told that stars don't matter anymore..... 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Sandra Bullock already put that theory to bed a few months ago 

They only proved that there is no star made in this and the last decade. The "youngest" star is The Rock who started in the aughts. Everyone else is a relic from 80s and 90s (Cruise, Bullock, Leo, Smith). In short, what incredible careers.  :bravo:

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

You're just wrong about this.  It was insanely popular with kids even younger.  No offense, but I think you are young.  I'm in the exact age range.  It was wildly popular with kids as young as 7 when it came out and the decade after having it on VHS.  Top Gun is very very popular and relevant with people even in their late 30's and especially in their 40's. 

We can agree to disagree. I've been following Box office weekly since 2000 (aside from mild break in early 2010s), so IDK what you would consider "young", but I am really smack in the middle of the millennial generation and would say from experience, TOP GUN is barely relevant. Its an old popular 1980s movie. I am well aware of how huge it was in the 1980s, but that was really a very long time ago.

Ask a random 20 year old what "need for speed" means and they will reference a video game. As what the danger zone is and they're not going to know. Ask about the song "take my breathe away" and they MIGHT remember the Jessica Simpson song.

Edited by excel1

54 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

These people are such shut ins..

I saw the film today and I'm honestly not surprised it's doing so well. It is a great film that delivers being entertaining and appealing to almost everyone. Paramount should give Cruise all the money he needs for Dead Reckoning Parts I and II as a thank you.

Again, this guy is probably short AMC

The movies are ALIVE AND KICKING

Thank the movie gods we have TOM CRUISE!!!

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

We can agree to disagree. I've been following Box office weekly since 2000 (aside from mild break in early 2010s), so IDK what you would consider "young", but I am really smack in the middle of the millennial generation and would say from experience, TOP GUN is barely relevant. Its an old popular 1980s movie. I am well aware of how huge it was in the 1980s, but that was really a very long time ago.

Ask a random 20 year old what "need for speed" means and they will reference a video game. As what the danger zone is and they're not going to know. Ask about the song "take my breathe away" and they MIGHT remember the Jessica Simpson song.

You keep bringing up 25 and 20 year olds.  Nobody is arguing that.  You said it was barely relevant to anyone under 55 years old, and that is just flat out wrong.  

It isn't agree to disagree, it is just wrong.  Top Gun is highly relevant to people in their late 30's and especially their 40's.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Please remind me which non-franchise movie either of them opened? 

Nobody mainstream associated DUNE with a franchise, for the record. 

11 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Timmy Tim is a star.

10 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Edward Cullen, Timmy Tim Tim and Holland are your new movie stars

You guys are my best friends now 🥰

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

It isn't agree to disagree, it is just wrong.  Top Gun is highly relevant to people in their late 30's and especially their 40's.  

Do you have one piece of pre-release indisputable evidence that points to this, or is this just your perception? It is not like there has been TOP GUN merchandise on shelves or rereleases occurring every few years. 

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They only proved that there is no star made in this and the last decade. The "youngest" star is The Rock who started in the aughts. Everyone else is a relic from 80s and 90s (Cruise, Bullock, Leo, Smith). In short, what incredible careers.  :bravo:

Channing Tatum...