Eric Loves Rey

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

30 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I'll be honest, the Top Gun hype is slightly baffling to me. I've never seen the first one, I just know it through pop culture references and I didn't have any interest in this new one until all the reviews and shit. Is it just because Cruise delivered a really good quality product in this movie, or is it also nostalgia for the first one? Will I have to watch the first one for this to make sense? Because I kinda don't want to lol

Kind of like Jurassic World, it’s a perfect storm of factors. There’s nostalgia of course, and it’s helped that compared to something like Terminator or Alien or Robocop that there aren’t any crappy sequels or remakes that diluted or poisoned the brand to people. It's a sweet spot where the first movie is still super popular and nostalgic, but the brand isn't shoved in your face all the time.

It’s also coming out as a patriotic “isn’t our military great” Americana piece. Center-right media like this is super popular nowadays, with Yellowstone and Reacher being huge hits on TV. Plus, the current global climate has made people lean way more into this kind of patriotism. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you, but this isn't the place to discuss all that :lol:.

Plus, for people on the left who may not like this kind of rhetoric, you still have a really fun action movie with incredible, innovative set pieces. And like how Jurassic World is the only big franchise focusing on a subject everybody loves, Top Gun is the only big franchise that focuses on airplanes and aviation. Everybody loves airplanes, no matter the age.

You also have Tom Cruise back in his most iconic role, it's a movie you have to see on the biggest, loudest screen possible, and there’s a Lady Gaga song that will probably get tons of radio play. Add on those GOAT reviews, and it hits every check mark you need, even if you're not all that connected to the original source material.

P.S. Do check out the first Top Gun while you can. It's the cheesiest schlock ever and I love every second of it. It's also surprisingly gay, which is always a plus.

Never really been worth presale tracking in my area since it is always so low (it's incredibly walk up heavy), but top gun has really good sales at the regional chain for this weekend. This is exactly the area where I would expect TGM to over index, our county has the highest proportion of veterans in the state, and is generally pretty conservative.

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

I just realized Transformers is turning 15 years old from this post, and I think I'm finally on the "I feel so old" stage of life. I still remember all the ads that played for this on Nickelodeon back in the day lmao

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Makes sense to let your families know you are alive after being out in a crowded public space right now.

Not to bring darkness into this thread, but there was at least three instances when someone came late into the movie and scanned the crowd for too long to find their seat, and I kept my eyes on them the entire time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

I just realized Transformers is turning 15 years old from this post, and I think I'm finally on the "I feel so old" stage of life. I still remember all the ads that played for this on Nickelodeon back in the day lmao

I remember fighting with my mom to break the no PG-13 rule for it when I was 7. I got to dad next and succeeded lol.

• Like 2

When I saw the trailer for the new Top Gun I thought it was gonna be like the Independence Day sequel or any other sequel that just came out way too late. Guess I didn't realize how popular the original is

33 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

And like how Jurassic World is the only big franchise focusing on a subject everybody loves, Top Gun is the only big franchise that focuses on airplanes and aviation. Everybody loves airplanes, no matter the age.

I guess that's another thing I'm not getting. Deep down I still basically love dinosaurs as much as I did when I was 6. Airplanes I could kinda take or leave

Edited by MOVIEGUY

1 minute ago, Grebacio said:

I know it's not a Memorial Day release, but using Jackass Forever would take its 3-day to ~21M. This is probably way more fan-skewing, so even with the holiday, 21M sounds like a good 4-day? Which...yeah, it's not great, but better than most of the other Fox titles and not bad for a niche title like this.

52 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

Incredible marketing campaign. Film was so much better than any of May's big 3, was great to see it breakout as it did. 

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

One thing's been in my mind for a while. How did Joseph Kosinski even get his start in the film industry making a big budget Disney film when he seems to have had nothing on his belt before it? Wikipedia doesn't really give any info on this.

Directed  commercials and he also has some kind of connection to David Fincher 

29 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

I know it's not a Memorial Day release, but using Jackass Forever would take its 3-day to ~21M. This is probably way more fan-skewing, so even with the holiday, 21M sounds like a good 4-day? Which...yeah, it's not great, but better than most of the other Fox titles and not bad for a niche title like this.

21M 4 day? Do you wanna cause another Bad Guys/Northman incident?