Eric Loves Rey

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

39 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I really hope Top Gun is a massive success in the end, despite all the alarms in the thread, because I don't want to find out that western audience tastes became even worse than China's audience tastes after pandemic. People get what they pay for. If they pay only for horrible Disney stuff and ignore all the quality stuff with an actual effort put into it, they shouldn't be surprised why they get mostly the worst possible stuff.

What's your bar for a successful Top Gun movie?

Flop Gun already? I did try to slow the hype train… (not that anyone really pays attention to what I say)

Joking aside, still expecting a solid opening here, where it falls short of the high end forecasts, but has good WOM and hits the ranges, similar to how Dune OW played out 

• Like 1

I'm not joking when I say Top Gun: Maverick is probably the best theatrical experience I've had in years. Movie was everything I wanted and more, super exhilarating, and entertaining at the same time. 

Theater was super-packed too and mind you this is a smaller more local place. Everybody clapped at the end and laughed throughout. Even if it doesn't open over 100m, this things gonna have legs. 

• Like 3

Did end up watching MoM again with some work friends tonight (who because of unfortunate circumstances were unable to see it until now).  The theater was surprisingly full.

Also, have a good feeling about Jurassic World.  Both my sister and my coworker, who haven't seen the last movie, are super hyped for it after seeing the trailer.  I think its gonna blow expectations away.  Avatar 2 also got very good responses.

All these bullshit reviews saying Top Gun Maverick is the best blockbuster since MI: Fallout really misled me and created the wrong expectation.

Top Gun Maverick is actually the best blockbuster since The Dark Knight.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 9