Eric Loves Rey

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Because proportions above 18M+ preview open the gates to rivaling The Batman OW

it could still very well do it, TG has a wider release and more showtimes cause its much shorter plus the target audience is more likely to come out on the weekend than rushing on a weekday like batmans, also sunday and monday will be massively boosted due to holiday

11 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

A summer of flop

Doctor Strange in The multivers of flop

TopFlop Maverick 

JurassicFlop

buzz lightflop

Thor love and flop

The Black Flop
Minions The Flop of Gru
Flope
Dc League of Super Flops

• Haha 1

I find the flop talk absurd.

The 1980s were a LONG time ago. Today's college crowd was born about 14-15 years AFTER TG 1 came out. The media and baby boomers might make a big deal out of this, but the original film simply isn't relevant to anyone under the age of what, 55? What reason is there for this to open any higher than the last Mission Impossible film? MI is a much more relevant franchise to the people who actually go to theaters today. The last MI film had Superman as the villain, incredible trailers and amazing reviews. The opening to $61m opening weekend.

If TG:M does $100m 3-day and $125m for the 4 day, that is without question a gigantic win. The idea that TG:M would open a film like THE BATMAN in 2022 should have been deemed crazy from the start and if it actually happens, it would a stunning, epic breakout win for TG:M.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The presales slowdown happening shortly after recent events in America is no coincidence. Remember when The Dark Knight Rises underperformed because of Aurora? Deja vu.

Not that I'm upset of course. @Shawn's recent projection was frankly far too optimistic regardless of outside circumstances. This forum in general has been way too bullish on this movie, especially since its target audience has largely abandoned theaters. A $100M+ 4-day weekend would still be a big win for Paramount since this is just a stopgap until Cruise's real golden goose is ready for next year.

Not getting political but the US is much more numb to these things now than they were in July 2012. There was also a gigantic fear of copy cat shooters the killed TDKR buzz that weekend. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
7 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The presales slowdown happening shortly after recent events in America is no coincidence. Remember when The Dark Knight Rises underperformed because of Aurora? Deja vu.

Not that I'm upset of course. @Shawn's recent projection was frankly far too optimistic regardless of outside circumstances. This forum in general has been way too bullish on this movie, especially since its target audience has largely abandoned theaters. A $100M+ 4-day weekend would still be a big win for Paramount since this is just a stopgap until Cruise's real golden goose is ready for next year.

Like I said in the tracking thread, no one should be Monday morning quarterbacking before the game is even played. 

Our final ranges are supported by plenty of data, and the odds of figures landing within those marks are still better than not. Some folks just need to take a breath and wait for the weekend to play out.

Nothing is "too optimistic" or "too pessimistic" (within reason) before there are actual results to analyze, and at that point it's about assessing objectively. The weekend hasn't even started. Let's keep our eye on the ball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

it's not a real flop. Flop is BOT's running gag. :lol:

It will be a massive success any way you slice it. Rave reviews, after being delayed more than New Mutants and that YA flick with Tom Holland in blond wig combined, is already a win. Now boxoffice. 

Edited by Valonqar

All I know is last night people were literally calling home to their families in the lobby like they'd just survived a life-changing event in order to tell them to go see this movie. It was insane. People were dazed and giddy like they'd just been in the Sully on the Hudson plane.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 11
  • ...wtf 2

45 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The 1980s were a LONG time ago. Today's college crowd was born about 14-15 years AFTER TG 1 came out. The media and baby boomers might make a big deal out of this, but the original film simply isn't relevant to anyone under the age of what, 55? What reason is there for this to open any higher than the last Mission Impossible film? MI is a much more relevant franchise to the people who actually go to theaters today. The last MI film had Superman as the villain, incredible trailers and amazing reviews. The opening to $61m opening weekend.

If TG:M does $100m 3-day and $125m for the 4 day, that is without question a gigantic win. The idea that TG:M would open a film like THE BATMAN in 2022 should have been deemed crazy from the start and if it actually happens, it would a stunning, epic breakout win for TG:M.

Isn't relevant to anyone under the age of 55?  That is incorrect.  

Growing up as a kid in the 80's and even early 90's was prime Top Gun age.  Came out in 1986, hit VHS and then was on constant play at many homes across the country.  Network television as well.  

It's relevant to many people still in their late 30's and for sure likely the strongest with people in their 40's.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

All I know is last night people were literally calling home to their families in the lobby like they'd just survived a life-changing event in order to tell them to go see this movie. It was insane. People were dazed and giddy like they'd just been in the Sully on the Hudson plane.

Your posts are scaring me, because when I finally get to it on Saturday, I'll probably just say to myself, "yeah, that was pretty good I guess", and I'll feel like a jerk. 😂

• Haha 1

I'll be honest, the Top Gun hype is slightly baffling to me. I've never seen the first one, I just know it through pop culture references and I didn't have any interest in this new one until all the reviews and shit. Is it just because Cruise delivered a really good quality product in this movie, or is it also nostalgia for the first one? Will I have to watch the first one for this to make sense? Because I kinda don't want to lol

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

All I know is last night people were literally calling home to their families in the lobby like they'd just survived a life-changing event 

Makes sense to let your families know you are alive after being out in a crowded public space right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I'll be honest, the Top Gun hype is slightly baffling to me. I've never seen the first one, I just know it through pop culture references and I didn't have any interest in this new one until all the reviews and shit. Is it just because Cruise delivered a really good quality product in this movie, or is it also nostalgia for the first one? Will I have to watch the first one for this to make sense? Because I kinda don't want to lol

you won’t need to watch the first one, and the movie is a staggeringly well made summer blockbuster with a real throwback quality to it. It’s nostalgic in the right ways. 

You’ll probably want to watch the first one once you’ve seen this.