Grebacio

Gran Turismo | August 25, 2023 | Sony | Neill Blomkamp directs

On 8/8/2023 at 2:36 PM, The GOAT said:

I wonder who EC actually works for. Maybe an inside analyst for AMC. 

I sort of got skeptical about EC when he kept on telling us the theaters were about to reopen during Covid  about a month after they shut down.

• Haha 3

On 8/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, Grebacio said:

his whole "the mediocre 2nd half of the year is actually amazing"-schtick isn't funnt

• Like 1

I saw GT in 4DX by accident. And that was a pleasant unexpected surprise. One of the rare example where 4DX not only doesn't cause distraction, the motion elevate the movie experience overall. A great use of the format to a otherwise formulaic and generic crowd-pleaser.  

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

As if three or four more million dollars is going to change that this movie is flopping pretty hard.

This is one of the few movies this summer that's not a guaranteed flop. Only needs $150m WW to break even, will be at $60m ish after this weekend.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 1:32 AM, Bob Train said:

This is one of the few movies this summer that's not a guaranteed flop. Only needs $150m WW to break even, will be at $60m ish after this weekend.

The problem is that it already opened mostly everywhere OS two weeks ago.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:32 PM, Bob Train said:

The problem is Barbie has a good chance of stealing first place this weekend and grabbing headlines if its sales explode on Cinema Day. GT really needs to be first place this weekend.

Edited by Mojoguy

I thought GT was a blast. Some clunky script elements, particularly whenever they tried to integrate gamer lingo, but Blomkamp’s direction was great. His grounded visual style and camerawork was well utilized. And the racing sequences were both surprisingly plentiful and engaging. Well shot/animated/edited. I’m surprised that the budget was only 100m. David Harbour was the standout performance. Having seen the final product, I think the marketing for this film was poorly conceived.

• Like 1

Due to GT doing $17M on opening weekend (including previews) and only $11M internationally, I think the movie might not break even, even if China and Japan releases are right around the corner. I think the only country where the movie did good was France, where it will reach 1M admissions (estimated $9M) and do a similar score to Ford v Ferrari, and much better than Rush or Need for Speed.

I really think the trailers killed the movie's potential, despite great WOM: people who heard about the movie could have seen the trailer afterwards and said "meh might not be for me, I don't see why there's so much fuss about this". 

GT will do good in VOD though, and Blomkamp really made a crowdpleasing movie - wouldn't be surprised if Sony keeps him around for another PlayStation adaptation.

• Like 1