Grebacio

Gran Turismo | August 25, 2023 | Sony | Neill Blomkamp directs

15 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Did they push it back two weeks to try and create more space away from Barbenheimer or something? 

Apparently they'll be using the weekend of its original release date and the weekend after to have sneak previews to build WOM. Studios are probably about to get creative with their promo for the movies that will have to stay where they are in the upcoming months because they can't abandon 2023 completely.

Well maybe I'm the only person in this thread who actually thinks this is pretty freaking awesome. I'm not a gamer, I've never played Gran Turismo but the story looks awesome and I like the cast. And I think this is going to be a pretty big hit.

The videogame movie curse continues.

Pretty sure this is the worst film I've seen this year.

Half of it is just advertising for the game. The opening pre-title scene and the end credits scene are actual literal adverts for the game. Lots of scenes in the film where people have conversations about how amazing the videogame is. At one point Orlando Bloom says, "Did you think you we are here for racing? This is one big marketing extravaganza." which I guess is the one moment where the film acknowledges how crap it is.

The racing scenes suck. This is by far the biggest issue with the movie. I have seen a couple of people from this film claim that they used real cameras and cars instead of green screen... well I guess those shots didn't make it to the final cut lol. There's maybe a few individual shots of real cars but the overwhelming majority, like 90%+, of the racing scenes are CGI cars going round CGI racetracks.

There is a lot of racing scenes in this film and they are all bad CGI with no physics. Cars driving with no weight to them and behaving in ways that take you completely out of the film. I get that this was probably made on a low budget, but still.

Characters are uninteresting and the dialogue is laugh out loud bad. There is no tension as the story just jumps from location to location with no context or buildup.

I'm glad Joe Kosinski abandoned this project so he could make a proper racing film. It's very clear that Playstation had too much influence over the production as there is no creative vision behind this at all.

Final thoughts:

- A lot of the CGI in the film is unironically worse than the graphics in Gran Turismo 7.

- Geri Haliwell should be banned from acting ever again. Some of the worst acting I've ever seen.

Edited by Avatree
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Despite the based on a true story claim,..and we know a lot of the time that claim is pretty much BS... I have trouble buying you can take somebody and train them in a few weeks to be competive with professional drivers who have been racing for years and have them be truly competive in a real race..as opposed to a race staged for marketing  purposes.

Edited by dudalb

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Despite the based on a true story claim,..and we know a lot of the time that claim is pretty much BS... I have trouble buying you can take somebody and train them in a few weeks to be competive with professional drivers who have been racing for years and have them be truly competive in a real race..as opposed to a race staged for marketing  purposes.

That is pretty much what happened IRL though. They found someone who had natural talent, through a game competition.

Honestly its not that uncommon to have successful rookies at these levels of motorsports. it's not formula 1, you don't need to have been racing since the age of 7 to be competitive and have some success.

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

Closest we get on a regular basis is at the Race of Champions every year, the esports team that gets included is shockingly competitive, beaten F1 world champions before. 

Then you have James Baldwin that won a competition to join British GT a few years back, then won his first race

13 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Another super correct "inside take" from him like Indy 5 and Ghosbutsters: Afterlife. I should just tweet things with the vague impression of authority and maybe people will share them like they're factual!!

• Haha 4

For some reason I never actually believed Sony would be able to come out with a critically acclaimed movie outside of Spiderman. Their movies have also been in meh-bad range of critic score. That being said, Sony has been doing great to shied their movie from lukewarm review. I would be surprised if GT isn't another example to this track record.