EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

9 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

Lets not pretend that not having China, Russia and various Middle East didn’t hurt its chances at 1 billion. If it had released in Russia and China alone, it would have made it past the billion (and then some probably)

uhhh there's a lot of stuff that hasn't released over there (and over the years)..   thats not just for DS2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Confused about JW on the tracking thread. Some say it is seeing a nice pick up on sales while others saying it is looking bad

We’re just past the inflection/acceleration point in ticket sales and JWD honestly has a wide variance of potential outcomes from here, given what needs to - but legitimately can - happen to get to higher end of ranges. I think a lot of people are falling back on preconceived expectations in absence of clarity (perhaps myself included) 

Next couple of days should help to narrow down the range a bit, so stay tuned 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Do we have a list of highest-grossing military movies?

I'm not sure if TGM right now is the best one for Hollywood.

Unadjusted + "real world" military + Hollywood, then it will be soon. It's American Sniper for about 6 more days ($342M). 

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I have bad ears so I can't go to the IMAX anymore :( 

I really wish I could with the way you guys are hyping up IMAX with this movie.

Oh well, it is what it is. At least I can go in normal theaters. Happy for the movie!

have never been in an imax and my ears aren't perfect

do imax's have annoyingly loud volume?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Holy shit on the drop. I didn't think WOM was this good. So, this has a shot at $450m. Is $500m on the table?

500M is pretty much locked. Even Solo legs from here on out gets it to like 480Mish.

Real question has become 600M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CloneWars said:

Holy shit on the drop. I didn't think WOM was this good. So, this has a shot at $450m. Is $500m on the table?

More like can it 600M and if it does what I think it can, than Over Titanic Domestic is possible.

10 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

550 is pretty much wrapped up, it should go for 600s at this rate. Just nutty stuff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

uhhh there's a lot of stuff that hasn't released over there (and over the years)..   thats not just for DS2

And? 
Pre-pandemic Marvel movies all did, so expecting MoM to pass 1 billion like, say Captain Marvel, isn’t a fair comparison. 

950-970 for DS2 is great, all this disappointment is just silly. With China and Russia, it likely would have come close to matching Captain Marvel, and that was certainly not considered a disappointment 

960 WW-C-R-banned countries is a better result than lots of successful movies, but it also had a big atp advantage in many territories. The DOM rank of 34ish will be worse than lots of comparables e.g. IM1, IM2, GOtG1, gotg2 and of course much weaker than IM3, CW, CM so it’s going to wind up like 10th/11th strongest mcu performance out of 24 for nonavengers. Fairly disappointing finish relative to the potential it had, as seen by the paltry IM and mcu worst legs.   

OS in markets it released is coming to a pretty respectable finish considering ERs.

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 2