EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

39 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Below FK in the same set of markets. Not an amazing start.

“Also as we wrote on Saturday, the dino bow for the Colin Trevorrorw-helmed threequel exceeded $50M and is an estimated $55.5M through Sunday. That’s 1% ahead of both 2015’s JurassicWorld and 2018’s Jurassic World: FallenKingdom, when excluding previews.”

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

PLFs made up 32% of its gross this weekend according to Deadline (IMAX alone making $11M), so that's almost $30M we can subtract right there lol. It's also going to be hurt by the fact all of the bigger auditoriums in general are going to Jurassic World and will be forced into losing some theater space, but that might not matter too much as long as it keeps filling up shows as much it is.

What type of drop are you predicting in week 3 and what’s your temporary final domestic/OS gross prediction?

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t think a 45 day window would cost anything $300m. 

I agree they should be longer when appropriate. But with bombs like Morbius and Fantastic Beasts, let the studios put them out earlier. 

Right.  Agree with that.  It should be film appropriate, but NEVER announce prior when it is going to streaming.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Blankments said:

Bruh don’t cheat. Where are your final trailer counts for May (top gun, bobs burgers and doctor strange were all massive trailer stalkers after all)

6x:

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Spider-Man: No Way Home, Jujutsu Kaisen 0, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman, Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Petite Maman)

Top Gun: Maverick (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, A Quiet Place Part II, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, The Northman, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness)

5x:

The Bob's Burgers Movie (Death on the Nile, Jackass Forever, X, Jujutsu Kaisen 0, Everything Everywhere All at Once, The Northman)

3x:

Downton Abbey: A New Era (The Northman, Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Petite Maman)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why do you spew hyperbolic nonsense like this that is backed up by nothing? Just makes you sound like boxoffice Alex Jones. The movie would not lose $300 mil with a 45 day window.

I absolutely disagree and it isn't hyperbolic nonsene.  If Paramount announced this had a 45 day window to "free" streaming on Paramount+, then box office would potentially go from $1.1b to $800m.  

Zero chance it would be running this hot if people knew that they could just wait and see it in a few weeks for free.  It's been proven over and over doing this cuts millions out of the gross and would be on a gigantic scale with a film like this.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Paramount reports that the under 35 demo gained 3% in weekend 2 from weekend 1, now standing at 49%.

I guess youngster are slowly realising their parents keep going to cinema lately and decided to check it out what the hell is going on in cinema.  

Just now, Borobudur said:

I guess youngster are slowly realising their parents keep going to cinema lately and decided to check it out what the hell is going on in cinema.  

I mean its only fair. Next weekend it will be the youngster who will drag their parents to the cinema.

I hope everyone also realizes that every single studio is looking at this weeekend and last weekend (and will REALLY be looking at it 2 weeks from now) and saying "holy shit, streaming isn't really the gold mine we thought it was, and there is still gold in them there hills over at theatrical" and shifting back to how they used to go about business.  

Bob Chapek is about the only guy that doesn't get it, and that will cost him his job in about 8 months.  

Netflix, right now, is negotiating a 45 day exclusive theatrical window on Knives Out 2.  Let that sink in.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I hope everyone also realizes that every single studio is looking at this weeekend and last weekend (and will REALLY be looking at it 2 weeks from now) and saying "holy shit, streaming isn't really the gold mine we thought it was, and there is still gold in them there hills over at theatrical" and shifting back to how they used to go about business.  

Bob Chapek is about the only guy that doesn't get it, and that will cost him his job in about 8 months.  

Netflix, right now, is negotiating a 45 day exclusive theatrical window on Knives Out 2.  Let that sink in.  

Why 8 months?

And yeah it just makes so much more sense to release a movie, wait until it stops making money THEN move it to streaming

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Why 8 months?

And yeah it just makes so much more sense to release a movie, wait until it stops making money THEN move it to streaming

His contract is up and the Disney board likely won't renew it.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mitchell said:

Speaking personally as a staff member, I'm fine with how our traffic is? A big issue with this forum were the constant trolls and pointless arguments, which is a much lower issue these days. I'd rather have a smaller community with people who are passionate and respectful with one another, rather than a big community full of infighting and angry fanboys. And since the box office has returned, we've had strong traffic increases and consistent posting activity.

Plus the Internet in 2013 was a lot different from the Internet of 2022. There are way more sites out there, Reddit is a much bigger deal, and I don't really think Internet forums are all that attractive anymore, especially to younger people, when Discord and social media can pick up the slack.

Totally agree. This place is great for analysis but an issue with threads in years past was having to wade through tens of pages of total nonsense while people were waiting for actual news developments. Always made it unwieldy to try to keep up with discussion in the weekend threads.

• Like 1

Just now, Jiffy said:

Totally agree. This place is great for analysis but an issue with threads in years past was having to wade through tens of pages of total nonsense while people were waiting for actual news developments. Always made it unwieldy to try to keep up with discussion in the weekend threads.

Absolutely.  The board is 1000x better now that the riff raff has been weeded out.  The site is useful on a huge level and we get actual analysis and tracking without having to wade through page after page of bullshit.  

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

His contract is up and the Disney board likely won't renew it.  

How likely is that, is it like just rumors or little rumblings in the industry?

Just now, YourMother said:

How likely is that, is it like just rumors or little rumblings in the industry?

Everything is rumor until it happens, but lots and lots of smoke.  Also, they haven't renewed him yet and he had a short contract to begin with.  That says a lot.  He also is at odds with Bob Iger, Kevin Feige, Allan Horn and others.  

• Like 9

The craziest part about Top Gun 2's performance is that even if this $90M number was its opening weekend rather than its sophomore frame, it would still be a big hit and Tom Cruise's biggest opening. And I highly doubt nostalgia for the first film by itself would have led to the numbers we're seeing now.

Jurassic World 3 is going to be fascinating to follow, to say the least. Everything is lining up for it pulling a Rise of Skywalker and underperforming big time. The last movie did have lukewarm reception after all. That being said, there's nowhere near the vitriol here that Star Wars still suffers from to this day. And at least in this story we'll get to see original three protagonists all on screen together for one last ride. So I don't think it'll be too big of a drop compared to Skywalker.

Spoiler

You want Dominion to be the biggest movie in the franchise and win the summer, Universal? If so, then make this guy the Palpatine-style mastermind behind the entire saga:

Sam Neill What GIF by Jurassic World

#ItsAlanTime #2TriALANtickets

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Everything is rumor until it happens, but lots and lots of smoke.  Also, they haven't renewed him yet and he had a short contract to begin with.  That says a lot.  He also is at odds with Bob Iger, Kevin Feige, Allan Horn and others.  

I'm sure he'll be missed about as much as a fungal infection or thrush